PDA

View Full Version : Book: Autobiography of a Yogi - Paramahansa Yogananda

Pneumaphor
10th September 2007, 02:30 AM
I almost can't believe that this book is not listed here!!! This book was written by the guy who taught Kriya Yoga to Mahatma Ghandi! He is also the guy who originally brought Yoga to the west. It's a must read. Paramahansa tells his whole life story, which is all factual. He died a saint, proven by his California coroner's record which stated that neither rigormortis nor decay of any kind was evident on his body even 26 days after death! He was put on India's national postage stamp to officialize his status as a national hero. Oh, and though he became a Swami and mastered Kriya Yoga, he openly admitted that he knew that Christ was the supreme being. It was read by my godmother 25 years ago and also instrumental in my path. I repeat, it's a must read, especially for people struggling to reconcile eastern and western points of view like I was.

Tom
10th September 2007, 05:27 PM
You can read it online here ...

http://www.ananda.org/inspiration/books/index.html

along with a book by Swami Kriyananda, who studied under Paramhansa Yogananda.

Oh, and though he became a Swami and mastered Kriya Yoga, he openly admitted that he knew that Christ was the supreme being.

Maybe you can point out where he said that, please?

CFTraveler
10th September 2007, 08:51 PM
Actually I have read many books Yogananda wrote, especially the specific one about Jesus, and he described him as a human who achieved his maximum potential, which is recognizing his Christ consciousness, recognizing God within. He also went to explain that when he says 'Christ' he meant 'God's presence', not the 'supreme being'. I do believe there is a great difference in these statements.

Pneumaphor
11th September 2007, 07:15 AM
Tom,

Okay, :? I was stretching a bit. :lol: What he actually said was that Christ visited him in a vision and told him some "personal things." That was close enough for me! I am just really excited about Christ and the union of western and eastern thought that the aforementioned section of the book (near the end) makes possible for all those trying to reconcile the orthodox differences between the two. I guess I was 'testing' but I do not want to be testy so this will be the last one of those! It was Swami Sri Yukteswar, Yogananda's Guru who explicated the workings of the Christ Consciousness, in his thin yet essential book"The Holy Science". He did believe that Christ consciously realized oneness with the Supreme Being/God and surely he taught such to Yogananda and surely this was a factor in the vision mentioned in the book, even if I am guilty of putting my own perspective into it. Good call!:D

CF, thanks for the info and I will add those to the top my long wish list! I'm thrilled to find out that he wrote a book about Christ! Stunned, actually! :shock: It will become central to my studies I'm sure. Maybe needing that information is why I felt so impelled to start the thread! The law of attraction works good if that's the case.

Oh, and sometimes I dispense with metaphysical hair splitting (since we are cells in the Supreme Being, WE too are the Supreme Being as well, but do we realize it? I mainly felt the need to mention the book here, even though it is dated, for those who need it like I did/do. I'm sure you sympathize. :) I'm glad you care too!

CFTraveler
11th September 2007, 03:48 PM
I just found my copy (I read it a while ago) and it's titled
"The Second Coming of Christ"-The resurrection of the Christ Within You- a revelatory commentary on the original teachings of Jesus by Paramahansa Yogananda.
In it he says:

(About The Sermon on the Mount)
"Jesus came on earth to remind man that the Lord is the Heavenly Father of all, and to show His children the way back to Him. The way of effective prayer, he taught, is to banish diffidence and speak to God with joyous expectancy as to a devoted father or mother. for every human being, the Lord feels a love uncoditional and eternal, surpassing even the sweetest human parental solicitude. This is implicit in Jesus' instruction to pray to "Our Father," a father who cares personally for each of His children".
-Paramahansa Yogananda.

Tom
11th September 2007, 03:51 PM
I've read "Autobiography of a Yogi" twice from cover to cover and I started it a few other times without finishing it. It is a good book, but I have to be in the right mood to get all the way to the end. There are just some things about his style which grate on my nerves, especially the way he tends to be so formal about everything.

Pneumaphor
12th September 2007, 09:20 PM
CFT,

Ahhh, fresh spring breeze in my mind! Pardon the soliloquy, thank you for giving me the name of the book and a sweet taste of the essence of it. More hope and enthusiasm than I had before is always a good thing and I thank you for that! :D Somewhere I once read that Sagittarius love to be read to more than any other sign. I first found this somewhat questionable, but now I see it may be true (even though I actually read it myself).

I'm glad you and Tom, so respected on this site, share my enthusiasm for this book. I am satisfied. The people who need to read this thread will find it now.

Peace to all

alwayson4
15th March 2008, 08:08 PM
I just read the original 1946 edition (which is free online). Even though I am Indian, I have never read this book before lol.

I have to say, this is quite a book, and makes me want to do better in everyday life. I believe this is a lot closer to the truth than all the New Age stuff on the market, although I believe in the Advaita vedanta/Robert Bruce ideal, which is never trust ANYTHING unless you verify it for yourself.

Nick----
19th March 2008, 08:29 PM
It should be noted that the SRF print copy of this book has been heavily edited, like many of Yogananda's writings have since his passing. It's nice that the original version is available online (Tom already listed the link), and it's also available in print too, just look for the light blue cover.

CFTraveler
19th March 2008, 10:15 PM
It should be noted that the SRF print copy of this book has been heavily edited, like many of Yogananda's writings have since his passing. It's nice that the original version is available online (Tom already listed the link), and it's also available in print too, just look for the light blue cover. Thanks for that tip. I had no idea!

dslandolfe
25th March 2008, 09:39 AM

Korpo
11th September 2008, 08:42 PM
I picked a book blindly from the shelf with the idea of what would be helpful, it was "Journey of Awakening" by Ram Dass. Picked a page at random with my finger in - pointed at the word "Yogananda". Told it to my wife, and that the only book I know from him is this one here. And she said she always wanted to pick it up, too.

My copy should arrive tomorrow.

Oliver

CFTraveler
11th September 2008, 10:38 PM
I wanted to add that the one I read was the one with the blue cover and enjoyed it very much. The photos of Mukunda as a young man and to see how he ages (or hardly does) is amazing, and the pictures of his teachers also rang some bells with me.

MichaelL
24th September 2008, 02:09 AM
Yogananda was truly a saint, we need more like him. As for SRF, I don't trust them. I've gone to the Hollywood temple twice and I just got a strange feeling. I don't know why.

Korpo
25th September 2008, 05:39 PM
I find the book very good. If I had picked it up maybe two years ago, I would not have believed a thing in it, though... It is definitely a fine read.

I find it disappointing that Kriya Yoga is mentioned all the time without any proper explanation of it.

Oliver

Korpo
14th October 2008, 07:52 PM
While Kriya is mentioned a lot like a magic silver bullet, I find his experiences more interesting. Sometimes Yogananda seems like a child in the way he behaves and learns, with all the associated traits. He seems to have been a very heart-centered person with strong guidance, not easily blinded by splendor, but only by what feels right.

Oliver