PDA

View Full Version : Working with Trauma

17th October 2005, 07:21 PM
Working with socially deprived students has led me to develop my understanding of how pyschologists are using their awareness of energy to assist people who have had personal experiences of trauma. (This is really useful to me because it has clarified how I can adapt my own skills in the teaching job I do. I really want to get this because so often I work under pressure and compound peoples' feelings. I now understand how important it is that trauma is regarded as frozen energy that needs discharging and dispelling and not confronting.)

Previously I had been aware of the three main reactions to trauma - fight, flight and freeze...but there are so many ways ( that seem very similar to some of the methods in NEW) in which, the person is helped to make progress so that their excitement overcomes feelings of fear. For instance, the 'Somatic Experience' facilitates the person to feel and develop a split consciousness so that, in their own time, they can come to strengthen their mind over the matter.

Waking the Tiger Healing the Trauma (Peter Levine) is another really helpful book for anyone who wants to use their energy and understanding to contribute to the community in which they live and work. There are many references to energy works and the arts in general, so it should appeal to readers on this forum.

tyciol
26th October 2005, 04:49 PM
So you have found that psychologists are actually using NEW or similar things, or that it's more of an unconcious thing that happens out of their concern and interaction with a patient? Have you observed or sensed it with ESPs?

26th October 2005, 08:14 PM
tyciol, The book contains case studies which are the professional observations of the author. I like reading case studies because they seem so real and they are very suggestive to my mind indeed. The writer refers to different energy practices in the preface, which is evident in the expression of his ideas using quotations from sources on the edge of academic study.

In my personal experience, I have only met psycologists socially (a few times at work) and one in particular had trained as a school teacher. She was very perceptive and likeable, and had probably developed her 'esp' powers out of concern for others, but not through NEW or the like. Other than that, I have also met loads of professionals working in the public sector when I've been training with energy development/similiar to NEW and yes, they use energy awareness in their daily lives, of course! People train in energy practices for lots of reasons.

tyciol
28th October 2005, 04:35 AM
I think it's really interesting how people can unconciously develope things out of pure will and desire, it really drives home how such developements can be incorporated into our lives and how we can associate energy work with real feelings, how our mind works and how it works in relation to others.

28th October 2005, 07:48 AM
Hi Tyciol, I agree with you there. Association and imagination belong to pretty much everyone, and I really think that they should be developed creatively and not clinically.