PDA

View Full Version : Deaf in one ear

Wyldrose
14th September 2007, 04:51 PM
Inquiry - (not sure if right section)

I'm deaf in one ear so all these various CD's will have no effect as my right ear has no hearing.

Although I've yet to start any research on obtaining OBE can I assume that the purpose of the CD is to reach a theata (sp?) brainwave state?

Aside from various meditative exercises are there any visual tools that would induce the same effect?

Thanks in Advance!

~ Wyldrose

Korpo
14th September 2007, 06:29 PM
I believe there are goggles you can wear that can cause a similar effect. One of the tools I once had for generating hemispherical synchronisation sounds sported a visual stimulation, I guess with strobing you can see through closed eye-lids. Don't know if it works, but in principle it should provide the brain with two frequencies, one for each eye, and a frequency delta between both eyes that produces the same effect.

Don't know for sure, though.

Instead of Binaureal beats that have to be listened to by headphones, one tool also promised to have monaureal (or whatever) beats that should work over speakers instead. Maybe this works with one ear, too, then? A little research might prove useful.

Oliver

CFTraveler
14th September 2007, 07:43 PM
If I were going to guess, I would think that if you can hear with one ear, then putting in sound at 4.5 Hz or whatever theta is would give you a difference beat of the same, because 4.5-0=4.5, but I don't know enough brain physiology to really know it would work this way.
I guess a biologist or neurologist would know what the answer is with this.

Wyldrose
14th September 2007, 08:31 PM
Thanks guys - so is it correct to say that the goal of the CD's are to reach a theta brain wave state?

That being the case then I'm comfortable knowing I'm not 'missing' out perhaps a little bit more work is required to get there the old fashion way 'meditation.'

But just as obtainable :)

With Gratitude

~ Wyldrose

CFTraveler
14th September 2007, 08:37 PM
I would say theta and/or theta to delta- I have had some experiences while listening to 'Supersleep', which is a Monroe Institute product designed to keep you in Delta, for the purpose of getting you more deep sleep.
Only for me it produced some interesting effects. :lol:

Korpo
14th September 2007, 08:55 PM
Wyldrose,

the TMI has papers on-site what their research has shown is doable.

Also many products from the Hemisync catalogue list which state frequency-wise they try to put you in. Look for the meditation CDs like "HemiSync meditation" and "The SO Chord". These are from the "MindFood" series and cheap to obtain. Way cheaper than GateWay.

MindFood are "use straight away" products, unlike HumanPlus which uses self-hypnosis. You don the phones and the just try to entrain you to a certain frequency and you can use that.

If it does not work, not much money is lost either, I guess. 20 bucks for "HemiSync Meditation". I got a quick entraining effect to that tape, because I quickly tuned in to that sound. That's all I can say about it, maybe I'll retry?

Good success,
Oliver

CFTraveler
14th September 2007, 09:08 PM
There's also this product
http://forums.astraldynamics.com/viewtopic.php?t=6534
which lets you decide what to do with the beats, if you want to adapt it to your own needs.
But then again, there's nothin' wrong with good ol' fashioned meditation- I have to say that 99.99999999% of my OBEs were induced just by energy work and awareness work.

Tom
14th September 2007, 09:35 PM
Binaural beats work based on the difference in the frequencies coming in both ears. It requires a strict separation of the tones. The lower the carrier frequency is - the lower of the two tones in the pair of tones - the more powerful the entrainment effect tends to be.

Monaural beats and isochronic beats are not based on combining separate sounds, so no stereo separation is required. I have tried isochronic beats using speakers and felt the entrainment effect which I was already familiar with from binaural beat CDs using stereo headphones. It was nice not having to wear headphones because the cord can be a bit inconvenient especially if you want to use entrainment for falling asleep at night and having more vivid dreams during the night.

The interesting thing about binaural beats as used in Centerpointe's holosync levels is that they suggest buying a set of headphones which has a range of response from 5 Hz to 30 KHz. Average hearing only goes from 20 Hz to 20 KHz. The older you get, the more that range shrinks. The holosync levels stop when they reach the lower limit of the headphones at 5 Hz. It would seem to make sense that any frequencies below 20 Hz would stop working because no one can actually hear them, wouldn't it? And yet they claim that you do not have to actually be able to hear the sounds for the entrainment to work, in this range, because perceiving the sounds is actually more a matter of feeling the vibration. Human organs resonate at 4 to 7 Hz. Organs with large cavities - your stomach and lungs, for example - tend to be more affected by sound in this range. Your breathing tends to slow down and you don't want to have eaten a large meal. Another side effect is that your emotions tend to be increased, so if you are angry when you listen you will become angrier. Large church organs tend to produce this range of sounds due to the large pipes used, and they can increase any feelings of reverence and awe you may start out with. Thunderstorms also produce a lot of sound under 20 Hz, and some people find it disturbing while others really enjoy the experience. As for binaural beats using tones below 20 Hz - and the term is infrasound if you want to read about it - I've used the holosync levels in this range and I made my own binaural CD. The holosync version was a lot more comfortable to listen to, because I had the volume way too high on the binaural beats embedded into the background sound. It did seem to produce the usual entrainment either way.

Wyldrose
14th September 2007, 10:14 PM
Wicked info!

As I said I have little knowledge on this subject but makes sense - we're simply talking about a vibrational frequency. And hitting the right one.

In the coming weeks I'm certain to have many more questions regarding OBE as I have yet to explore this, and plan to shortly. I think I'm in the right place to start a new journey!

With Gratitude!

~ Wyldrose

Deadliner
16th September 2007, 01:34 AM
If I were going to guess, I would think that if you can hear with one ear, then putting in sound at 4.5 Hz or whatever theta is would give you a difference beat of the same, because 4.5-0=4.5, but I don't know enough brain physiology to really know it would work this way.
I guess a biologist or neurologist would know what the answer is with this.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to work. Simply the human ear cannot identify frequencies that low. That is the whole point of binaural beat entrainment - in order to create a wave of 5Hz (for example), since you can't actually hear it, it can be created by the difference between two frequencies.

So, Wyldrose, if you have no hearing in one ear then that means that unfortunately you can't use binaural beats, they will have no effect to you. But someone mentioned monoaural (isochronic) beats which I've never heard of, I hope it works for you!

But don't despair if you can't put binaural beats to use, since it's not really anything important. It's just an aid so you can bring your mind to the required state and it's not proven scientifically that it does actually work (as far as I know).

Just focus on the rest of the OOBE work :)

CFTraveler
16th September 2007, 02:23 AM
Simply the human ear cannot identify frequencies that low. Yes, but hearing is not what is necessary, so my question would be would the human ear be able to relay a 4Hz beat to the middle ear, and would it register in the cilia, transmitting it to the brain? Because what we are interested isn't in 'hearing' the tone, but in the brain registering it and entraining to it.
So, can the ear receive and transduce a 4 or 4.5Hz soundwave?

Tom
16th September 2007, 03:58 AM
You see, I'm saying that binaurals using tones under 20 Hz do work, and I know having used them. I'm also saying that they are obviously not based on regular hearing, so being completely deaf in one ear should not be a factor unless it spoils whatever background music you use. How? Good question.

journyman161
16th September 2007, 07:54 AM
I have a set of LED glasses from http://www.mindfield-biosystems.com that I got a while back - they are more sophisitcated now. I've also seen some that can be used eyes-open. Visual binaural is actually more effective than aural - think how much of your sensorium is made up of visual stimulation - & with the mindfield system the aural is an addition. It would however be useful even with limited hearing as the background music would help prevent distraction from other sources.

The glasses will get you into alpha, theta or delta as fast as it is possible to do so (takes about 6 - 7 minutes before the brainwave is measurably in tune with the beats)

But it isn't only a matter of what level you get to, there are other considerations. You can get different effects by moving from one level to another & back and how fast you go from one to the other can cause different effects as well. Jagged waves (square or triangular) have different effects to sine curves. For a rather amazing effect, you can do 45 minutes at Schumann resonance - 7.83Hz. Some patterns can be used as wake-ups & some can be used to relax or sleep.

With the software you can record your voice AND music, so after the time required to enter (say) delta, your own voice starts to guide you in your quests.

All the best...

Deadliner
16th September 2007, 10:10 AM
Simply the human ear cannot identify frequencies that low. Yes, but hearing is not what is necessary, so my question would be would the human ear be able to relay a 4Hz beat to the middle ear, and would it register in the cilia, transmitting it to the brain? Because what we are interested isn't in 'hearing' the tone, but in the brain registering it and entraining to it.
So, can the ear receive and transduce a 4 or 4.5Hz soundwave?

As far as I know, binaural beats are generated by the mind when left and right ears hear a slightly detuned sound (different frequency). So it is the difference in frequency between the two tones that generates it. This is not a pure mathematical problem where 10 - 5 = 5 and 5 - 0 = 5 again, it does need two different sounds to operate! So 5 - 0 is just one signal into one ear, hence no binaural (the zero in the equation is not acceptable).

You can just try it yourself: listen to some binaural beat and then remove one earphone from your ear. You get a steady tone, no pulsation, no fluctuation, nothing.

CFTraveler
16th September 2007, 06:00 PM
I have done something similar just for kicks, but differently: I have meditated with one earplug on and one off, but really haven't done it enough to see if it makes my experience any different than just with nothing.

CFTraveler
16th September 2007, 06:01 PM
Jman wrote:
For a rather amazing effect, you can do 45 minutes at Schumann resonance - 7.83Hz. Some patterns can be used as wake-ups & some can be used to relax or sleep. This sounds interesting.

journyman161
16th September 2007, 08:18 PM
The Mindfield software runs from a graph you create so it is possible to make different patterns of how the sound changes. And the different patterns cause a variety of effects. The pattern for creativity is different to that used for deep meditation; you can get some interesting effects by going deep into Delta or Theta for a while & then altering the pattern.

Deadliner
17th September 2007, 10:55 PM
The easiest way to do this would be to get some mono headphones, where both left and right channels are mixed into one. This creates an audible strobing sound at the same frequency as the binaural, but it can be listened to with only one ear.

I think you got this wrong. A mono signal in both ears does not create any effect. It's just a buzzing sound in your ears. :)

journyman161
17th September 2007, 11:58 PM
I think Alex is talking about mixing the binaural signal prior to feeding the mono signal to the headphones. Not sure how it would work as my understanding of it is the binaural effect is a brain production not an aural one - that is what causes the entrainment rather than just the beat.

CFTraveler
18th September 2007, 12:22 AM
My guess is that the monosynchronous beat could cause entrainment, but not hemispheric synchronization.