PDA

View Full Version : EFT, your thoughts?

waves_in_the_sky
1st October 2007, 10:10 PM
What do you guys think of EFT(emotional freedom techniques)?

Do you think that tapping the energy meridians mentioned in EFT really helps the bodys energy system or do you think it's just a placebo effect?

The second study, published in The Scientific Review of Mental Health Practice which is indexed in the PsychInfo database, was conducted by Waite and Holder on people who reported specific fears or phobias.[4] This study compared four groups: A group that received regular EFT; a second group that tapped on sham points that were not EFT points; a third group that tapped on an inanimate object (a doll) and a fourth group that received no treatment. The first three groups did statistically better than the fourth group, but there were no significant differences between the three tapping groups. That is, the groups that tapped on sham points and on the doll did just as well as the EFT group, but all three groups did better than the no-treatment group. Since the group that used the doll was not tapping on meridian points yet still benefited equally, the authors suggested this as a falsification of the theory that EFT works because of the body's energy meridian system.

The quote above is from the Wikipedia entry on EFT.

Mishell
2nd October 2007, 04:48 PM
I would recommend you do a forum search for EFT.

It has been discussed here a few times. :wink: :D

Chris_com28
2nd October 2007, 05:42 PM
So what do you think about the experiment? Well I guess one study really isn't enough but it's quite convincing. Though EFT and other controversial therapies has helped people where conventional just coudn't. To me I don't think it really matters.

Mishell
2nd October 2007, 07:42 PM
The second study, published in The Scientific Review of Mental Health Practice which is indexed in the PsychInfo database, was conducted by Waite and Holder on people who reported specific fears or phobias.[4] This study compared four groups: A group that received regular EFT; a second group that tapped on sham points that were not EFT points; a third group that tapped on an inanimate object (a doll) and a fourth group that received no treatment. The first three groups did statistically better than the fourth group, but there were no significant differences between the three tapping groups. That is, the groups that tapped on sham points and on the doll did just as well as the EFT group, but all three groups did better than the no-treatment group. Since the group that used the doll was not tapping on meridian points yet still benefited equally, the authors suggested this as a falsification of the theory that EFT works because of the body's energy meridian system.(Highlights mine).

My thoughts on this is the "sham" points may have been along the same meridians that EFT uses, instead of just focusing on the endpoints. I can see how this would still work.

The 3rd focus group where a doll was used also makes sense to me because EFT can be used successfully by proxy. In these cases, a doll or another person is used.

In any case, if the intent is to heal, healing will occur. I think it is always as simple as intent.

CFTraveler
2nd October 2007, 08:35 PM
I guess the thing that I would ask is why does placebo work? This in on itself is a very interesting thing. But maybe it belongs in a different thread?

Wyldrose
2nd October 2007, 09:41 PM
A thought...

I've also experimented with EFT, with some success. I noted that whenever, I was trying to 'heal' something that had a possible emotional attachment to it I was far more successful then something that had resulted in a more physical manner, such as a sore back from gardening.

Perhaps the emotional element is the connection (deff a part of the subtle energy body) however, that the meridians themselves are not an actual part of the benefit of treatment.

hmmm...

Rhone
2nd October 2007, 11:54 PM
Heh, that's a good question, CFT. Many therapies are written off as "Bah, it's no more effective than placebo" but I don't see a lot of "Hey, why is the placebo working so well and why aren't we taking advantage of that?"

waves_in_the_sky
14th October 2007, 07:01 PM
Have any of you used EFT and some NEW exercises in close proximity to each other? Like doing EFT right before energy work? Did you find it was too much for the energy body or something? I've never tried doing them close together but I might try it soon. Do you guys think it would have any negative effects?

Wyldrose
15th October 2007, 01:58 PM
Actually YES!

In fact I may have to change my original position and am now returning to EFT for another look. A few nights ago I was having a really bad day. Allot of pain... I couldn't even tell where the pain was coming from it was so intense and everywhere (my fellow fibro sufferers will relate). Now for the most part I utilize meditation & Pranyama (breathing) techniques to deal with my pain - but there are times that it is so bad that I do not have the mental ability (discipline) to focus through that level of pain.

Anyway - I felt a call to return to EFT. Having learned to trust these vibes I sat down and spent about 30 mins with NEW (this was challenging as well as I could not really identify any sensations through the pain). After that I practiced EFT. I did several rounds, and the results we're very interesting - it was very much like pulling back layers. After the first round I was able to distinguish pain in my back - from there the legs etc. After a good 2 hours work I was able to move from about a 8.5 on the pain scale to a 4. I followed this with a Reiki Treatment utilizing the 'balance' symbol and some corresponding crystals along the Chakra centers and found sleep with no pain to speak of.

I awoke the next day feeling fine, and full of energy.

Impressive results - and something to consider.

Flash_hound
22nd October 2007, 07:35 PM
My mom is an EFT practitioner and she has done experiments under somewhat scientific settings. They took the blood sample of a man and then sent him out of the room and she tapped on him from a distance (distance healing. Then he came back and they took another blood sample.

It turns out that he had a rare blood condition that no one knew about and so they have the before and after pictures. In the first picture the blood is kind of strained and clotted into strings, and in the second picture the blood is healthy and like how it is supposed to be.

Actually I could see EFT not being 100% based off the meridian system just because you can't do Acupuncture and Acupressure from a distance but you CAN do EFT from a distance, and so I think there could be a greater energetic component.

Just some thoughts...

Oh and the Placebo thing I think makes a lot of sense, some people will discredit forms of healing for merely being a placebo effect, but the fact is that people get real results while the medication they are giving them DOES NOT give real results. So who has a more real form of healing? I agree placebo should be looked more into but it is a cool thing and I don't know what is inherently bad about it.

ButterflyWoman
23rd October 2007, 12:14 AM
I personally think that placebo effect is fascinating, and it demonstrates quite admirably the power of mind over matter. If you BELIEVE it's going to help, then it DOES. Excellent stuff, that. It's such an arrogant thing to just discard that as "only" placebo as so many researchers do... What do you mean "only"? Something that should have had no effect HAS ONE? Wow! :)

By the way, I'm not speaking specifically of EFT. I'm familiar with the concept of it, but haven't studied it in any great depth, nor have I tried it. I may one day, and if it works, that'll be cool with me, placebo or not. ;)

Korpo
23rd October 2007, 12:45 PM
It is almost funny when somebody says "Just a placebo..." because the placebo effect is among the strongest healing effects there is.

Example: A surgical procedure for angina pectoris was found to be totally ineffective in removing the causes, but the placebo effect was tremendous - until studies were published widely that explained the ineffectiveness. Different "miracle drugs" have later been found to be ineffective, but highly effective during early tests applied by enthusiastic researchers.

If researchers actually could reliably reproduce the placebo effect, healing would be a much more effective business in Western Medicine.

So - "just" a placebo... ;)

Oliver

ButterflyWoman
23rd October 2007, 01:50 PM
Actually, there's a lot of research into placebo effect. They still don't know how it works, but one thing that seems clear is that the belief that someone cares for you or is concerned about your well-being is a big factor. Being prayed for has a very clear positive effect, for example, and many "home remedies" that really shouldn't have any effect will work if the person receiving feels loved and nurtured, etc.

A good example of this is the famous "kiss to make it better". :)

Mind you, that's not ALL there is to placebo effect. I sincerely believe it's an example of mind over matter, BUT there is a strong element of knowing someone cares or God is being petitioned to help, or similar feelings of being supported.

Korpo
23rd October 2007, 02:06 PM
Oh, I believe in both.

Loving someone and especially feeling loved can have strong effects throughout your whole being - if we don't believe in this, we can also forget about doing energy work. ;)

I have the notion that the "why" of the placebo effect will remain a mystery to science at least for a long time, but they will get better at the "how" of inducing it. :)

Oliver