PDA

View Full Version : Vipassana courses

thoth
4th October 2007, 01:28 PM
I was wondering if anyone here has gone to one of the 10 day Vipassana courses. For those unfamiliar with this meditation can go to their website to learn more.

Here are a few details about them. The courses are given out all over the world. They are completely free, all of their funds are provided as donations from former students who benefited from the program. To put it in plain words, you get up at 4AM and meditate 10 hours a day for 10 days. There is a code of conduct that prevents you from killing, stealing, lying(not a problem since you're not allowed to communicate in any way), and you basically become a vegetarian for the time being. The list goes on, but you get the idea.

I'm seriously considering attending one of these sometime next year. It looks a bit extreme, but the results are worth it. Just curious to hear some feedback from someone who already did one of these. And if not, what are your thoughts on this? Would you want to attend one of these courses (I know that there might be a geographical issue if they don't have one in your country) ? I know people go to Hemi-Sync retreats, and those cost a lot of money, I imagine. For the exception of your travel there, these things are completely free and require no prior experience.

Thanks.

Tom
4th October 2007, 03:45 PM
http://xtrememind.com/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... =vipassana (http://xtrememind.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2328&highlight=vipassana)

:)

It is a thread on another forum by someone who did a 20 day retreat.

Wyldrose
4th October 2007, 04:11 PM
Personally, I think it sounds absolutely delicious! If this idea makes you excited with anticipation... then I think you already have your answer :)

If you do go, please be sure to post on your experience

Namaste

~Wyldrose

thoth
4th October 2007, 06:48 PM
Actually, one of the main thing I find intriguing about this, is the fact that it's a group of people meditating at the same time, some times in the same room, and not to mention on the same thing. Something like that should amplify your own efforts fairly nicely, if you believe in oneness at all.

There was a project done on this in Washington DC in the 1993. A group of people were practicing Transcendental Meditation for a time, and during that time violent crime dropped dramatically! I can't post any links but googling a few of key words will lead you to the page. Not that any of us here need any facts on this, but it's almost impossible to find any on something like this.

Anyway, you get where I'm going with this.

Korpo
4th October 2007, 08:00 PM
There was a project done on this in Washington DC in the 1993. A group of people were practicing Transcendental Meditation for a time, and during that time violent crime dropped dramatically! I can't post any links but googling a few of key words will lead you to the page. Not that any of us here need any facts on this, but it's almost impossible to find any on something like this.

Actually I don't believe that. TM as a sect is very good in the publicity department, so I would not give too much on stuff like this. They're still a sect vying for followers, you know...

Attend your Vipassana, enjoy it, and see the experience on its own terms. Too many expectations are detrimental IMO. It does not sound like something appealing to me - too ambitious and single-minded, but if you're this kind of person that enjoys that, by all means attend. :D

Take good care,
Oliver