PDA

View Full Version : Hard time starting with NEW

vooood
28th October 2005, 05:43 PM
~ I am just starting NEW and I have problems with concentration.. What could I do to get rid of all the disturbances around me? I use music for that (it really does help) but most of the time I can't use it..

Quantitativefool
28th October 2005, 09:37 PM
Just practice and time will remove that, if possible maybe try to go out to a park or woods or something once a month to feel 'nature' around you, and it might bring you some aid, otherwise...practice..

-Stu

tyciol
29th October 2005, 09:58 AM
I just have it quiet sitting in a comfy chair. After a while, try doing it casually and then you'll probably get better at avoiding distraction, similar to how we can walk while listening to music and chewing gum while reading a book (though you might hit a tree).

undertow
10th November 2005, 09:56 PM
It's not really about concentration on something outside of yourself, but on what lies inside. If, in your practice, you are listening to music to help keep you relaxed, then you are still tying yourself to your physical senses. Try to dive inside whatever you are focusing on with as many senses as possible, until everything around you disappears, including sounds. Quiet the mind first, then everything else will follow.

kevstar
19th December 2005, 07:40 AM
I've found that with practice I can do NEW anywhere. It takes a little patience, though, but you will notice improvement.

Yeah, finding a quiet spot can be tough, and I think it's just better to not have to burden yourself with that, if you don't really have to.