PDA

View Full Version : Human race will 'split into two different species'

Mishell
27th October 2007, 08:26 PM
scientists are so optimistic... :roll: :lol:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1965 (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/technology/technology.html?in_article_id=489653&in_page_id=1965)

Beekeeper
28th October 2007, 12:30 AM
There are just so many things not anticipated with that view of the future. One being that it doesn't take into account the many social variables in how people choose their mates, such as arranged marriages within one's own racial group. It speculates but it can't know how society will evolve. Also, it assumes the environmental factors that determine human development will remain constant or even that we'll survive long enough as a species for these things to occur. It ignores that those upper classes with their cosmetic features will still pass their natural features on to their offspring (if they have any). Or does it merely assume that cosmetic surgery will always be available and only to the elite?

Why 2 races? Why not greater stratification such as that imagined in Aldious Huxley's "Brave New World" with its Alphas, Betas, Deltas, Gammas and Epsilons? It didn't address the possiblity of genetic manipulation by scientists "Gattaca" style. It's just one theory and probably poorly reported.

journyman161
28th October 2007, 12:46 AM
One comment...

Oliver Curry from the London School of EconomicsAs we all know, the LSoE is one of the foremost medical, physics & chemistry research facilities.

I think he may have watched The Time Machine once too often. If the theory is accurately reported, it has more holes in it than real material.

1: The most likely evolutionary influence over the next 100 years is genetic modification - that alone blows his theory out of the water.
2. As BeeK pointed out, if you don't change the genes, it doesn't matter about the surgery - you still pass along your ugly bits.
3. He's assuming (like Hitler) that beautiful parents always make beautiful kids & ugly parents make ugly kids. Shows a complete lack of understanding about how sexual reproduction works.
4. He assumes that sexual choices will not alter. I'm betting he's seeing slim willowy big breasted types as the ideal female - they've only been in vogue a couple of decades - the ideal for the rest of history has been rather different.
5. If the rich breed only among themselves it is doubtful they'll have the genetic diversity to survive; they'd need either regular input from the normal gene pool or to modify their genetic structure - either of these will change the pattern Curry says is coming.

My prediction? In about 500 years we will have seen the last idiot scientist who thinks, because he knows something in his own field, it makes him an expert in all fields.

EDIT: And while we're about it, how many times have you seen a classically handsome or beautiful person walking down the street with someone who would be considered at best, plain & awkward. Attraction doesn't happen to a particular set of rules.

Mishell
28th October 2007, 01:11 AM
It ignores that those upper classes with their cosmetic features will still pass their natural features on to their offspring.

This is the first thing I thought of.

The article was a very entertaining read. :wink:

ButterflyWoman
28th October 2007, 01:33 AM
Yeah, and in 1950, they thought in the year 2000 we'd all have flying cars and fully automated houses that washed themselves and a lot of other completely ridiculous crap that never came even close to happening.

I don't put much stock in scientists predicting the far future. ;)

CFTraveler
28th October 2007, 09:44 PM
So which one do you prefer to be, Eloi or Morlock?

mackers_ire
29th October 2007, 10:33 AM
Yeah, and in 1950, they thought in the year 2000 we'd all have flying cars and fully automated houses that washed themselves and a lot of other completely ridiculous crap that never came even close to happening.

You mean you guys haven't got yours yet? ;) lol

chips
3rd December 2007, 06:51 AM
i just hope that the scientist took into account the mutations that can occur form environmental changes.

johnbrent
4th July 2008, 07:23 AM
I wouldn't really call it mutation, more like evolution... The planet has been evolving ever since and it will still continue to, and the inhabitants will have to adapt to its changing environment.

Jaco
4th July 2008, 11:49 PM
*coughs* "WHATaPIECEofCRAP"
I mean, seriously...
A lot of assumptions, backed up by nothing...

Nostic
5th July 2008, 12:13 AM
One things for sure. An over reliance on technology will certainly lead to trouble. You can see it starting now within our culture. Everything is becoming so artificial.

Neil Templar
5th July 2008, 01:41 PM
what a lot of rubbish.
as far as i can tell,most women choose a mate based on many other factors than looks alone.
he's obviously been spending too much time with the boys,and not getting out much!

standard
15th October 2008, 12:46 PM
Hey .. did u guys not see 'Heroes'

Sparkwielder
21st November 2008, 03:23 PM
an attractive, intelligent ruling elite and an underclass of dim-witted, ugly goblin-like creatures, according to a top scientist.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As one guy already posted in the comments section - Stupidest thing I ever read!
I used to put a lot of faith in science when I was younger! :?

21st November 2008, 03:58 PM
morlocks FTW!!