PDA

View Full Version : Sleepwalking ???

cwoolbright
24th November 2007, 02:47 PM
How closely is sleepwalking connected to all of this?

Severe sleepwalking runs in my family on my dad's side and my mom's projected before. I successfully projected on the first attempt a few days ago, and I'm curious if they are connected...

Usually every night or every other night I roam the house or change my clothes in my sleep. I have also had experiences cooking things i.e. grilled cheeses, and making grape kool-aid (it's always grape....lol), or watching dvd's or vhs tapes.

When I was little I was more vocal and talked gibberish to my parents while tranced, often screaming and getting angry because they couldn't understand me.

When I wake up I always have very little or no memory of any of my actions. I know these things happen because either my parents tell me, I have different clothes on, or I have bruises on my toes from stubbing them.

Is this connected in any way to my astral body? Does it affect my level of ability to project?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Chelsea

kiwibonga
24th November 2007, 10:08 PM
I believe there are two "extremes" when it comes to sleep disorders.

On one side of the coin, there's the sleep paralysis disorders, where people wake up but their body can't move, because it's still in "sleep mode," releasing paralyzing chemicals for protection. (This may or may not be the same as the pre-OBE type of sleep paralysis... I think they are different since the pre-OBE type does not seem to involve mechanical paralysis, only a mental state of detachment that can be broken out of quite easily.)

And then, there's sleepwalking... Where people are deeply unconscious with their mind sound asleep, but their body is up and about, doing things on its own.

It's pretty much the difference between mind awake, body asleep and mind asleep, body awake.

It's not going to help you much that you sleep walk, but I don't think it's going to altogether prevent you from projecting.

The fact that you sleep walk probably indicates that you are a very heavy sleeper. In my opinion, you'll have more success with projection if you sleep for 4 or 5 hours first, wake up, then do your projection attempt while you go back to sleep. Also ensure that your room is as silent (i.e. no fans, no noise from the fridge or the computer) and dark as possible, as otherwise you may have trouble "sensing" your own mind among the distractions caused by ambient light and sound.

See, when you're a heavy sleeper, you have a very high tolerance for disturbance (i.e. getting out from bed and stubbing your toe does not wake you up or trigger any memory) which also means that you'll have a tendency to screen out dreams and projections. You'll be able to progress if you set everything up to optimize experience and recall of dreams, and practice to make your sleep lighter.

I'll talk about this method once more; set up alarms to ring throughout the night, maybe every 30 minutes, and as soon as they ring, wake up and write something on a piece of paper. If you had a dream or anything unusual, then great, but even if there's nothing you can recall, just write something. In the morning, count how many times you actually woke up and wrote something down. You might be surprised at the results! On average, I found that out of 10 rings, I had a tendency to only wake up and write things down for 2 or 3 of them.

And that's what being a heavy sleeper is -- your willingness to stay asleep is so strong that you will literally ignore even the biggest disturbances, provided that they are not life threatening.

So it's baby steps from there.. Start out by training to be able to wake up at each loud alarm that requires you to get up and press a button... Then use an alarm that stops ringing automatically after 30 seconds, so that you have to force yourself up.

This exercise will help you train your willpower so that you are able to perceive what happens in the sleep state and consciously process it... And who knows, maybe it can "cure" sleepwalking?

cwoolbright
25th November 2007, 12:44 AM
Okay, I'll definitely try to project after sleeping for a few hours. Maybe then I'll be able to do it again.

Yeah, as far as the alarms go, I still have trouble in the mornings waking up. I usually set three alarms at different times in my rooms, but sometimes I have to even hide one or two of them from myself so it will make me snap out of it.

And I will try writing things down as you instructed. You're right, and maybe this will help me out so I can remember things and actually wake up in the mornings! I'll set a few alarms tonight and update you tomorrow on how I did =D
Thanks.

al.luciddreamer
25th November 2007, 06:03 AM
I was a sleepwalker as a small child, but then seemed to outgrow it. However, a year or so ago my doctor put me on Ambien to help me sleep now and then. Suddenly I began sleepwalking again. It was really bad, too -- I would walk into the kitchen and eat in my sleep. The most troubling thing was when I ate a whole box of dry pasta in my sleep. My doctor took me off of this dog of a drug after that.

So if you already have somewhat of a problem with sleepwalking, my advice is to beware of Ambien. In my case, I think it brought back my childhood problem with it. But I've heard other cases on the news now where people on Ambien have walked out to their cars in their sleep and started driving around. Not good.

cwoolbright
25th November 2007, 03:18 PM
So if you already have somewhat of a problem with sleepwalking, my advice is to beware of Ambien. In my case, I think it brought back my childhood problem with it. But I've heard other cases on the news now where people on Ambien have walked out to their cars in their sleep and started driving around. Not good.

Okay, I will definitely take that advice.
My grandma and dad always get up every night and are semi-insomniacs. A few months ago I couldn't sleep for anything but when school started it just went away. Eating something little seemed to help me fall back asleep, but geeze, that would be scary if I started doing things like that... a whole box of pasta, dang.
And driving around.....!!
Once when my dad was younger he walked across a major interstate, but that was the worst I've heard until now

U-Mos
26th November 2007, 02:08 AM
i think that sleep walking is the absent of sleep paralysis so that you would act out your dreams but i never herd of sleep paralysis acctuly being a disorder.

though considering that the actions aren't very dream like its possibly something else

cwoolbright
27th November 2007, 10:44 PM
...Something else?

Maybe it is just something I will grow out of still, I'm 16 so I've got a ways to go. Surely it isn't that harmful.

Speaking of sleep paralysis, I experienced that for the first time a few days ago trying to project. It was so scary! Exploring this stuff is so interesting.

CFTraveler
28th November 2007, 12:06 AM
...Something else?

Maybe it is just something I will grow out of still, I'm 16 so I've got a ways to go. Surely it isn't that harmful.

Speaking of sleep paralysis, I experienced that for the first time a few days ago trying to project. It was so scary! Exploring this stuff is so interesting.
Even though severe cases of sleepwalking can be dangerous, it is perfectly normal and is found to run in families, and affect people in specific developmental stages, especially times of growth and development (physically speaking). So it's nothing to worry about if you take precautions.
I come from a family of sleepwalkers (the men in my family) and my son occassionally does it, although did it from about 7 to 8 a lot. (Still sleeptalks, as funny as that is.) I don't sleepwalk, but do occassionally get bouts of sleep paralysis. I think it's a case of 'too much chemical' vs. 'not enough chemical', two sides of the same coin.