PDA

View Full Version : Why don't they remember?

SeekingTheTruth
29th November 2007, 07:56 AM
Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

My great grandmother lived until she was 96. When she died I was beyond depressed because her and I were very close. Even though I knew her for my first 14 years of life, I felt, and still do to this day, that it wasn't long enough.

A week after the funeral, I was woken up to my mother calling my name and telling me to hurry to the phone. So I get out of bed and she hands me the phone. I ask her who'd be calling me at 10:00 AM in the morning and she just told me to say hello. Well, I say hello and my great grandmother's voice says "I love you". My heart stopped beating for a second. This was the voice of a women who I watched be buried a week earlier. I tried getting her to say something else, but all she said was "I love you", the signal kept getting weaker until it disconnected. All 3 of us, myself, my mother, and my step dad were at a loss for words.

This WAS NOT a dream because even when I think a dream is real, when I wake up I know it wasn't real. I never woke up, I went through a whole day and went to bed at night as usual. We never spoke about it. Until I brought it up a month later with my mother and she said to me "I don't remember that, you must have been dreaming". She wasn't lying, she honestly didn't remember. How do you forget something like that?

Korpo
29th November 2007, 10:30 AM
Out of habit we censor our experiences. If our inner convictions of "how things should be" are strong enough those things get similarly repressed as a traumatic memory would. If your mind cannot accept a memory in its current state it just leaves a blank. The memory is gone, you cannot remember, until some other process - meditation, someone reminding you, a similar occurence, a spiritual experience, etc. - trigger it again.

This way the wonders of the world are lost on us - we censor and filter them. :?

Even Robert Monroe had to find this in his own life. When reviewing his memory by projecting into it he found an exceptional spiritual experience about connecting with the Earth he just forgot about. If this happens to people like Monroe, the open-minded OOBE pioneer, what do you think gets lost on most people?

Hope this helps,
Oliver

Kunama
29th November 2007, 11:12 AM
I totally agree with Korpo, there are large sections of memory that I can't remember because of the trauma involved. Its wasn't until I was involved with EMDR that some of the details came to the surface. Even then I couldn't remember the whole incident - still cant.
I think its beautiful though, that your great grandmother just wanted to say I love you.

ButterflyWoman
29th November 2007, 11:16 AM
The experience of getting a phone call from a deceased loved one is a well-documented paranormal experience, by the way. Thought you might like to know that. :)