PDA

View Full Version : Definition of Universe

rapidlearner
1st December 2007, 03:06 AM
What is your definition of the Universe? What do you think makes it? Do you believe it is infinite? What do you believe its purpose to be?

I am talking about the physical Universe primarily but would also be interested to see how you incorporate the Astral.

Couple sentences should do! Just kidding... No easy question, the more detailed the answer, the better. 8)

chips
1st December 2007, 10:24 PM
What is your definition of the Universe? What do you think makes it? Do you believe it is infinite? What do you believe its purpose to be?

I am talking about the physical Universe primarily but would also be interested to see how you incorporate the Astral.

Couple sentences should do! Just kidding... No easy question, the more detailed the answer, the better. 8)
The universe is everything and anything that takes up space. i believe anything in the astral would also fall under the catagory of the universe.

wstein
2nd December 2007, 03:38 AM
A universe is a region where a consciousness can have a characteristic experience. Some can persist without being 'occupied' by a consciousness. Most are finite, a few are infinite at least from an inside point of view. Despite some universes being infinite in 'size', one can always withdraw 'outside' of them. The nature, character, consistency, richness, and scope of universes vary greatly.

By suggesting 'physical' you are probably referring to universes manifest into form. These are always finite as per the nature of 'form'.

I consider the Astral planes collectively as a separate universe from material space-time. The Astral and material are very 'near' to each other as the difficulty of crossing the gap between them is nearly trivial (for humans). Note that many 'lower' life forms can not make the crossing.

I refer to the set of all universes simply as the 'ALL'. This includes the 'area' not in any universe. It has no separation, dimension, or size; rendering the finite/infinite question moot.

---------------

As totally other way to look at this: 'God', the only, is not contained by the universe concept. But for our limited consciousness, we can think of universes as reflections in mirrors. Each mirror reflects a part of God. Some mirrors are bigger, some smaller. There is no limit to the number of mirrors or reflections of God. One can always add a new mirror. Similarly, no mirrors are required for God. Some morrors are on 'opposite sides' and reflect into each other giving the impression of infinity. Though the apparent size of the image (universe) in the mirror varies, none actually affects the size of what it reflects.

Freawaru
3rd December 2007, 08:20 PM
What is your definition of the Universe?

I use two very different definitions, depending on the context.

The first is identical to how any physicist will define "universe".

The second is identical to how Buddhist define the term "world". It bases on perception and is, as such, completely subjective.

You can get a good idea about the second definition here :

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html (http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.044.than.html)

The Blessed One said: "And what is the origination of the world? Dependent on the eye & forms there arises eye-consciousness. The meeting of the three is contact. From contact as a requisite condition comes feeling. From feeling as a requisite condition comes craving. From craving as a requisite condition comes clinging/sustenance. From clinging/sustenance as a requisite condition comes becoming. From becoming as a requisite condition comes birth. From birth as a requisite condition, then aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair come into play. This is the origination of the world.

Psychotronic
31st December 2007, 01:40 PM
I think, that "universum" - resp. ONLY 3D space - must be infinite, because our idea can go behind barriers, if they exists, so it looks like anomalic phenomenon, what can´t exists, because of that I think the space is infinite, we can´t quantificate him.