PDA

View Full Version : The Fifth Mountain

Quantitativefool
23rd November 2005, 05:01 AM
The Fifth Mountain is by Paulo Coelho and I find a wonderful book full of many important truths. It's written in story form about Elisha and part of his struggle in life. It, to me at least, includes many lessons about faith, devotion, and the nature of higher things. Anyone else read?

-Stu

sash
23rd November 2005, 05:35 AM
I haven't read it, but have you read any of his other books? If you have how does this one compare to them?

Warm Regards,
Sasha

Quantitativefool
24th November 2005, 04:20 AM
I had read "The Alchemist" by him as well, there's a thread for it as well. And I found this to be..slower moving but having alot of important lessons within it. I won't say it's worse or better but I do think the Alchemist might be generally liked more.

Hope it helps, have you read any other books by him?
-Stu

sash
24th November 2005, 05:44 AM
Yes, that helped a lot. I want to check it out, but I've got about a dozen books on my Amazon.com wish-list at the moment that keep piling up. I will get around to reading it soon hopefully.

His other books are quite inspirational.
I have read "The Alchemist" which I see as more of a classic but there are parts that are a pleasure to read in themselves.
I think the book that resonated with me most is "Veronika Decides to Die", in which he writes a significant amount about the astral, the "silver cord" and touches on the subject of death in a reflective and meaningful way.
I've also read "Eleven Minutes", which was just pure erotica from my perspective -- but I was introduced to Paulo Coelho by my ex who seems to see this book in a much deeper way (like most of his books presumably are).
Lastly "Warrior of the Light" is not bad either, but it is mainly a collection of insightful and spiritual quotes - not a novel as such.

I think the main thing that somewhat ruins these books is the translation from the original language into English - I think that the same things cannot be said and the same depth cannot be emphasized as intended by the author. I think I shall be reading that one though, I wasn't sure about it the first time I browsed past it but your review was quite helpful.

Warm Regards
Sasha