PDA

View Full Version : Very good Gnostic/New Age book on Christ

ButterflyWoman
15th February 2008, 06:31 AM
(Note: I posted this recommendation in another forum to a specific person, but I'm impressed enough with the book to recommend it in a more general way.)

"The Mystic Christ: The Light Of Non-Duality And The Path Of Love According To The Life And Teachings Of Jesus" by Ethan Walker III. Not only is it about the ego and non-duality, it's about universality. Very deep, very well researched. Might take a few reads before you fully digest it all, it's just that kind of book. Definitely worth acquiring if you're at all interested in Gnostic/mystical Christianity, or, rather, in the person of Jesus and the idea of Christ-consciousness that transcends orthodoxy and organised religion.

Leswan
5th March 2008, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the heads-up on this book, OW.

My copy arrived a few days ago and I've just started reading it. I'll let you know how I get on with it.

Take care

Matt

Louise43
6th March 2008, 12:39 PM
Just had a look at this one on Amazon and like the sound of it so I have put it on my wish list. I'll get it next month when my funds get replenished :)

Thanks,
Lou

ButterflyWoman
6th March 2008, 12:50 PM
I've taken a long time to get through it. It's a good book, but it's got a lot to absorb. Definitely quite challenging to Orthodox tradition (which is okay with me ;)), and I'm a huge fan of the things that appear in multiple traditions, which this book has in abundance.

Even if you don't take all of it as gospel (pun intended ;)) it's got excellent research and some fantastic insights.

Whew! I'm going to have to read it multiple times, I think.

orygbus
10th March 2008, 11:07 AM
I recently ran into a website about Christ that I thought was interesting...
http://www.askrealjesus.com/
Scroll down to the bottom of the page where he provides answers to questions.....

CFTraveler
10th March 2008, 08:02 PM
Please be aware that this is a person who claims to channel Jesus. I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm saying this is a person who claims to channel Jesus.

alwayson4
15th March 2008, 08:17 PM
Well the title of the book, seems like one I would have like to written.

It seems very clear, that Jesus, in his many statements, is talking about being perfect, and not being swayed by the emotions and pulls of maya. His language is almost exactly that of a advaita vedantist. However I also believe He is the Son of God.

It is interesting, because when I believe I was experiencing the non-dual Clear Light of Bliss (which I believe occurs when the "subtle wind" of the mind is absorbed in the heart) all these long forgotten quotes from the New Testament would pop in my head which I finally understood.

alwayson4
15th March 2008, 08:17 PM
I want to add, I think practice is TOTALLY different than any intellectual understanding.

Leswan
21st August 2008, 11:51 AM
I found this to be an excellent book.

I was raised a Church of England Christian and am largely ignorant when it comes to matters of scripture, but this book confirmed what my gut instinct has been telling me for years: that the Church of England have forgotten (or maybe choose to overlook) the mystical teachings that are present in the Bible.