PDA

View Full Version : Cold showers to improve energy flow?

ejr23116
28th February 2008, 02:00 PM
I have read about the many health benefits of taking cold showers including better circulation, increased vitality, cleansing the body of neagtive energy and toxins, etc. I have also read that this is good to do before meditating.

I just started taking them today. Will update the forum in a few weeks.

Has anyone else tried this practice?

Neil Templar
28th February 2008, 02:49 PM
my yoga teacher insists it's good to have one at the start of the day.

CFTraveler
28th February 2008, 03:46 PM
Frankly, this seems counter-intuitive to me.
Warmth opens up pores and dilates blood vessels, lowering blood pressure on the outside of the body at least, which is the definition of circulation. Cold water constricts, so how can cold water improve circulation? That does not make sense to me, except for the idea of the cold water being a shock to the system, causing the adrenalin to surge and thus waking you up. Somehow, I don't see how that's 'good for you'.

Neil Templar
28th February 2008, 04:17 PM
Frankly, this seems counter-intuitive to me.
Warmth opens up pores and dilates blood vessels, lowering blood pressure on the outside of the body at least, which is the definition of circulation. Cold water constricts, so how can cold water improve circulation? That does not make sense to me, except for the idea of the cold water being a shock to the system, causing the adrenalin to surge and thus waking you up. Somehow, I don't see how that's 'good for you'.

i agree completely,however,my yoga teacher says to have one as a starting point for the day.with the idea that from that point onwards,your energy flow can only increase,you know what i mean?
as far as i'm concerned,if it's not really hot outside,there's no need for a cold shower!! no thank you.

ejr23116
28th February 2008, 04:41 PM
Do a couple of google searches:

1. Cold showers and Chinese Medecine

2. Cold showers and health benefits

It does seem counter to common logic. But I believe part of the theory is that in the morning, much of your blood is in your internal organs as the body is in it's rejuvination mode. The cold water draws the blood out to the skin and to the capillaries. The cold water also causes heavier breathing, which pulls in more chi from the earth.

I agree that it doesn't make sense at first glance, but there just may be something to it!

Tom
28th February 2008, 05:25 PM
The shock and constriction caused by the cold shower is temporary. The benefits comes from after that initial response when the body warms up again. It is like breathing out really well to get the lungs as empty as you can before breathing in.

CFTraveler
28th February 2008, 09:36 PM
It does seem counter to common logic. But I believe part of the theory is that in the morning, much of your blood is in your internal organs as the body is in it's rejuvination mode.
Ok, I can dig that.

The shock and constriction caused by the cold shower is temporary. The benefits comes from after that initial response when the body warms up again. It is like breathing out really well to get the lungs as empty as you can before breathing in.
Maybe I'll try it...in the Summer. Right now it's cold! Just walking outside is enough to shock and constrict....Brr....

ejr23116
5th March 2008, 12:47 PM
OK...I asked my physical therapist about the cold showers. She said that the cold showers would initially decrease blood flow. But if you stay in long enough (10-15 minutes) that the Hunting Reaction should take place. This is the skins attempt to reach an equilibrium with regards to temperature. So the skin starts irregularly expanding and contracting blood vessels and capillaries. The phenomenon is also known as CIVD (cold induced vasodilation).

So it's nice to know that there is some science behind it afterall. Thought you all might find this interesting.

Be well :)

CFTraveler
5th March 2008, 04:04 PM
Interesting!
You too...

Alaskans
8th March 2008, 08:45 PM
I just had my first cold shower this morning in response to the building self discapline post. I was actually a little anxious of doing it. It sucked, but I feel good, I'm going to do it more, it's one of those things that are hard but your glad you did it (I actually felt like jumping back in :lol: ). But I wonder how long and how cold.. because we have very cold water up here, if I had it on coldest I would have hypothermia in 15 minutes (not that I've never survived that). I assume red skin is a result of CIVD? So maybe a few minutes after that? Before I jumped in I thought I might put it on hot afterward, but I felt that would defeat the purpose somehow. I certainly reccomend it, even if all the other bennifits were false (I think theyre true), it's still a powerfull, accessable way to build self discapline (I go out in blizzards, but those are uncommon)

ejr23116
8th March 2008, 09:03 PM
Glad you like the cold showers, I actually enjoy them now.

You definitely don't want hypothermia. So be careful!

Here are a few more tips:

1. Rub your hands all over your body briskly when you get in.
2. If you have a soft brush or a louffa, rub that all over yourself briskly.
3. Go buy some ALMOND OIL from a health food store. Rub the almond oil all over body prior to getting in. This is wonderful for the skin!
4. When you get out, take a towel and very briskly rub the towell all over to dry off. Your skins should turn a nice, pink color.
5. I have read that if you have areas in your body where energy doesn't flow as well, keep them under the water longest and scrub them the most. Not sure if this actually helps, just read that.

Curious, what part of your body seems to get the least cold? Mine is my back. I think it is due to the enrgy flow up the spine. In any case, I am so glad to hear that there is another person out there that enjoys the cold shower. It took me a couple weeks to start enjoying them. However, I did notice that even from the first time I did it, I felt much more alive and awake when I got out of the shower in comparison to how I feel when I take warm showers.

Glad I could help!

Alaskans
12th March 2008, 07:54 PM
Skinshmin, I dont care if i'm devilishly handsome (and the MOST modest), that doesnt help me. I beleive that everyone has to suffer one time or another, but we can choose how and when. Sitting in full lotus, taking cold showers, roughing it in the wilderness, sleeping in snowcaves, it makes everything in your life work to your favor.-- Ahh, I got a good post in my head but this isnt the place to put it.

Nick----
13th March 2008, 03:58 PM
Some yogis say that hot water demagnetizes the body, I don't mean that in a scientific way, but in that it disrupts the energetic magnetism developed through different practices that draw energy into the body. I think this is why Robert Bruce says that a hot shower is good when you feel your energy is a little out of control, it will dissipate the energy. So I don't know if cold showers are "good" because they are cold, or "good" because they are not hot.