PDA

View Full Version : Meditation? What is it?>!?!? :O

oath
27th November 2005, 04:21 PM
I already meditate as part of my religious practice- But not a lot (like 15 min.s every day).

I hardly ever meditate in the traditional sense of sitting lotus type position, clearing mind etc..

I view meditation as many things, one of them, and the most common as a thinking, specific thinking. If this is true I am in a meditative state for most of my awake, aware, conscious time on this earth. I have also meditated astrally and find it much funner and enjoyable than doing so in the physical, though as one friend put it, "why? Your only on earth for maybe 120-130 years unless nano technology come through".

Opinions please :)

P.S. I also notice that what Mr. Bruce calls trance is, simply put as "mind awake, body asleep". Yet to me trance seems like a sacred word and something difficult to understand, much less perform!

Sachiel
27th November 2005, 05:11 PM
Eh, since when is the average human life-span 120 years at a low?!

Akashic_Librarian
27th November 2005, 06:54 PM
Mediutation, to me is a quiet state of mind, a place hidden deep inside yourself you must find and enter, when you get there you can relax to your fullest and become one with the universe, you can become a god in mortal flesh but only inside, only deep down can you find this place and i dion't think it is sign-posted. As for a human lifespan, WTF!!??? 120 yrs, more like 70-100 tops lol

oath
27th November 2005, 07:17 PM
:shock: Calm down guys, its just someones opinion based on his knowledge of how long the current humans will live. Really, acting more like boys than mystics. (no offense, Truth is dangerous sometimes, that doesnt change my opinion and admiration of it though)

I think I know what you are speaking of Akashic. I have a place like this but never go there. I have described it to a few, each having their own definition of what it is. The ones I can remmeber are nirvana, and 'your sanctuary'. Mine is a field of some sort. Either of lavendar or something like wheat, its quite windy, cloudy, theres a presence, feels like god moving about among the clouds, etc.. The earth is bare and fresh and the dirt is...idk the dirt is something else, all of it. Sometimes It thunders, sometimes there is sun, but a lot of the time it is windy and cloudy. Reminds me of the word apocalypse/revelation.

Sachiel
27th November 2005, 08:09 PM
It's true that we may live longer, but not by that kind of jump...I mean, the earliest creative humans lived to around 40 or so, and the jump in lifespan from then to now has taken thousands of years; why should a little longer take only one generation?

As to the place, yeah, I have one too, but I'm not sure that's meditation...I see meditation as a complete focus on a single thing, whatever it is.

Jaco
27th November 2005, 08:24 PM
the earliest creative humans lived to around 40 or so, and the jump in lifespan from then to now has taken thousands of years; why should a little longer take only one generation?
Actually the jump in lifespan took only about one and a half century :)
In nineteen century people lived about 40 years (average).
Now we live longer because of progress in medicine. We have drugs, antibiotics, and all different types of chemicals which help us fight diseases.
Maybe further advancement, now in genetic engineering, organ cloning and transplantology may increase our lifespan even more :)

Chris
27th November 2005, 09:05 PM
As to the place, yeah, I have one too, but I'm not sure that's meditation...I see meditation as a complete focus on a single thing, whatever it is.

Meditation is relaxed focused awarness. An object taking the part of a focus object (breath, mantra, visual object, sound, visualisation, tactile sensation, even walking/movement meditations etc) to keep the mind clear. At deep states it is possible for the observer and observered (focus) to become the same thing.

There's a lot of stuff on the net which portrays itself as meditation, but it's simply daydreaming, or drifty visualisation - which won't have any of the long term benefits of meditation.

Chris
27th November 2005, 09:07 PM
the earliest creative humans lived to around 40 or so, and the jump in lifespan from then to now has taken thousands of years; why should a little longer take only one generation?
Actually the jump in lifespan took only about one and a half century :)
In nineteen century people lived about 40 years (average).
Now we live longer because of progress in medicine. We have drugs, antibiotics, and all different types of chemicals which help us fight diseases.
Maybe further advancement, now in genetic engineering, organ cloning and transplantology may increase our lifespan even more :)

I've seen it quoted that in the next generation (perhaps ours) genetic understanding of aging will be such, that we should be able to double our current lifespan. I have a feeling we might miss out on this though :wink:

Tom
27th November 2005, 09:43 PM
120 to 130 years was just a generous estimate. There are already a couple of dozen people right now who are over 100 years old. The point I was trying to make was that we have physical bodies for a limited amount of time and astral bodies for nearly forever. It is important to work with and develop the physical body as well as the astral, to make it easier to bring back and understand experiences from the higher planes. Meditation is great. Even 15 minutes per day for 3 months is enough to decrease the response to chemicals like adrenaline (clinical studies; I forgot where I read about it). There really is a lot that a healthy and well treated body can do to support spiritual development. There is also a lot that a neglected body can do to sabotage results.

Chris
27th November 2005, 09:46 PM
120 to 130 years was just a generous estimate. There are already a couple of dozen people right now who are over 100 years old. The point I was trying to make was that we have physical bodies for a limited amount of time and astral bodies for nearly forever. It is important to work with and develop the physical body as well as the astral, to make it easier to bring back and understand experiences from the higher planes. Meditation is great. Even 15 minutes per day for 3 months is enough to decrease the response to chemicals like adrenaline (clinical studies; I forgot where I read about it). There really is a lot that a healthy and well treated body can do to support spiritual development. There is also a lot that a neglected body can do to sabotage results.

I agree with this. During periods when I go to the gym daily (I know :oops: ) it is a lot easier to project.

28th November 2005, 02:07 AM
Really, acting more like boys than mystics. (no offense, Truth is dangerous sometimes, that doesnt change my opinion and admiration of it though)

This comment was not necesary, don't let me see it again.

Jaco
28th November 2005, 06:45 PM
I've seen it quoted that in the next generation (perhaps ours) genetic understanding of aging will be such, that we should be able to double our current lifespan. I have a feeling we might miss out on this though :wink:

Double lifespan? It has been done already on... nematodes and mice :D
But worms and rodents are not humans... To double human lifespan there must be experiments on... humans of course :wink: And there are going to be experiments on humans in that matter, as there are now in some other cases 8) The question here is not "if" but "when" :) Will it take a generation? Hmm, hard to tell :? I do not know what those giant bio-tech companies are doing in their labs :P
Biotechnology, medicine and pharmaceutics are a big business. Tens or even hundreds billions of dollars are in stake here :)
Long and healthy life is a dream for many, and you can earn a lot of money on dreams...
But enough of this off-top... :D

Apex
28th November 2005, 10:57 PM
I believe that technology will only be able to extend the waking lifetime so far through the manipulation of the physical body. At some point, technology, and the mind itself, will have to work with the nonphysical body to extend it even further. This is where meditation comes in. Meditation has been shown to extend age past the life expectancy alone. Effective meditation used in conjuction with advanced technology has great potential.

CFTraveler
30th November 2005, 09:34 PM
Chris wrote:
I agree with this. During periods when I go to the gym daily (I know ) it is a lot easier to project.
Maybe this will motivate me to start working out again- Maybe I can make it one of my affirmations... :cry:

Donald McGlinn
10th December 2005, 03:10 AM
Really, acting more like boys than mystics. (no offense....

Oath,

Comments like this are not welcome in the forums. It is derogatory and goes against forum policy.

Putting someone else down to make a point simply weakens your argument. If you disagree with someone, use facts not put downs.

Saying "no offense" doesn't give you the right to make these kinds of comments.

Please keep this in mind

Donald

oath
10th December 2005, 06:45 AM
Okay sorry everyone :cry:

nparker
17th December 2005, 04:45 AM
Hi friends..!
May be my experience don´t match with meditation concept but (anyway...) I'm only submitting to you in order to gather an opinion (from yours) than give an opinion (from mine) about thread inquiry...

I´m from a country where Spanish is the main (99,99 %: the very main, of sure) speaking language. In order to read forums like these and taking into account my poor knowledge of english, a tactics used by me in order to deal with unknown expressions (beside translator online service use) is to read confuse statements with a mind devoid of thoughts... and understanding of it easily arises. Then, I get understanding through an intuitive path, though. The most of times, this is most effective than do a sistematic and mechanical translation (word-by-word) of text.

This fits to meditation concept..?

Sincerely,
Natalia Parker

4th January 2006, 01:58 AM
I believe that technology will only be able to extend the waking lifetime so far through the manipulation of the physical body. At some point, technology, and the mind itself, will have to work with the nonphysical body to extend it even further. This is where meditation comes in. Meditation has been shown to extend age past the life expectancy alone. Effective meditation used in conjuction with advanced technology has great potential.
The drug companies want us to believe that we can live forever. But in truth, most of the medical advances over the past hundred years have been at the lower end of the scale. A hundred years ago, few people lived beyond childhood. As a result, people live longer. But the life expectancy of a forty-year old man today really isn't much better than it was a hundred years ago: As infant mortality decreased, adult mortality has actually risen. The drug companies, of course, would say that is due to pollution and poor lifestyle.

So the 120 to 130 years some expect may not pan out...

9th January 2006, 04:20 PM
The drug companies want us to believe that we can live forever. But in truth, most of the medical advances over the past hundred years have been at the lower end of the scale. A hundred years ago, few people lived beyond childhood. As a result, people live longer. But the life expectancy of a forty-year old man today really isn't much better than it was a hundred years ago: As infant mortality decreased, adult mortality has actually risen. The drug companies, of course, would say that is due to pollution and poor lifestyle.

So the 120 to 130 years some expect may not pan out...
Last night listening to Matt Drudge on a local radio station, I heard him say that doctors now project that as many as half of all adults will develop diabetes and that the lifetime one may expect will probably decrease over the next several years...

CFTraveler
9th January 2006, 09:39 PM
And if the chemical companies continue to develop new poisons and pass them off as 'natural' and put them in children's marketed foods then we will have new diseases to contend with.
Example: Sucralose (Splenda): Put in children's candy and juices- What is it? Sugar that was messed with. How do you ask, was it messed with?(you'll love this Sophroniscus) They put Chlorine in the sugar molecule so the body doesn't recognize it as sugar and supposedly won't be able to assimilate it. The problem is that it does assimilate some of it.
And there you have it.

10th January 2006, 12:42 AM
And if the chemical companies continue to develop new poisons and pass them off as 'natural' and put them in children's marketed foods then we will have new diseases to contend with.
Example: Sucralose (Splenda): Put in children's candy and juices- What is it? Sugar that was messed with. How do you ask, was it messed with?(you'll love this Sophroniscus) They put Chlorine in the sugar molecule so the body doesn't recognize it as sugar and supposedly won't be able to assimilate it. The problem is that it does assimilate some of it.
And there you have it.
Exactly...