PDA

View Full Version : NEW and Musicians

SixStrings
30th November 2005, 11:45 PM
I've just started working with NEW, and today was the first that I felt the sensations associated with tactile imaging (it was exciting). My ultimate goal is concious OBE, but I'm also a musician. So, I'm wondering if anyone else is a practicing musician who has gotten deep into energy work and noticed technical improvement in their playing as a result. It would make perfect sense, but I'm interested in hearing personal accounts.

thanks,
Lucian Kipp Minton

Quantitativefool
1st December 2005, 01:15 AM
I have!

I'm a pianist-and other things- but mainly classical piano. And after doing energy work for awhile I noticed my fingers having less tension as well as my ability to 'percieve' how I'm playing or how I want to play increased.

-Stu

Matt
1st December 2005, 03:21 AM
This is more related to the actual OBE than NEW, but there are definitely areas of consciousness that are designed around hearing music clearly which would be extremely useful if you can learn to enter them while awake. Here's a journal excerpt where I was in one while asleep:

http://www.saltcube.com/out-of-body/cha ... 1&p=0#1832 (http://www.saltcube.com/out-of-body/chat-forum/viewTopic.jsp?t=1831&p=0#1832)

In the later parts of the OBEs, I found that I was able to enter that frequency of consciousness where you can hear music when on the edge of sleep. I wanted to hover there long enough to actually make use of it by listening to existing music in detail and also write new music.

Listening to existing music here is much more exact than when I'm in the physical. When I'm awake if I want to examine the details of how the drums are being played I have to shift my focus away from other parts such as the bass line or the vocals. But in this frequency range you can listen all parts of the song at once and hear the timing of each drum beat perfectly.

It seems that it should be possible to enter that state while awake and that probably there are especially talented musicians who do it without realizing it.

Also, here's a Sarah McLachlan interview that could be a clue into how to enter that state while awake. She mentions sometimes when singing her mind starts to wander, then finds herself at the end of the song:

http://www.saltcube.com/out-of-body/cha ... 9&p=0#4030 (http://www.saltcube.com/out-of-body/chat-forum/viewTopic.jsp?t=4029&p=0#4030)

CunoDante
1st December 2005, 05:14 AM
Being a singer, I know where you're coming from with this question. Since I haven't been doing energy work that long (only a few months), I can't make an adequate comment. Although, I can say this -- spirituality and art (especially music) go hand and hand. Creating music is one of the mostly divinely humbling and exhilarating things I have ever experienced. As I've learned more about my music and myself (from a musical perspective), my spiritual side has become more aware, and vice versa. For me, music and spirituality are inseparable -- you can't have one without the other. When I'm playing music and singing, energy just seems to flow through my entire body and start strobing, and I almost go into a trance-like state. (So maybe I have been doing energy work all these years, but just haven't realized it.) I just let the most beautiful sounds I can possibly imagine penetrate my mind, and come out of my mouth, filling each and every note and rest with as much passion and as many emotions as possible. By the time I'm done singing, my brow and crown chakra are highly active and energy readily surges through my body. I normally find that's a prime time to do energy work. Or, if I'm going to perform, I'll do some energy work beforehand to really open myself up and connect myself to the universe.

I apologize for going off on a tanget. I think what I'm trying to say is hte important thing here is awareness. Singing has made me more aware as has working with NEW.

Dsmoke
2nd December 2005, 04:40 AM
Interesting. I had never made the connection between my improved singing ability (figured out how to get around a particular problem that made a huge difference) and my energy work. Thanks for pointing it out.

Sachiel
3rd December 2005, 12:39 AM
YEs, I'm a violinist, and it helps...like, I don't need to practice as much, etc., and you DO play better and are more aware of your playing.

dr.thunda
6th April 2006, 05:18 PM
I am a bassist in a progressive alternative/metal band.

I think what improves my playing the most is regular earthly dedication to musicianship. Practicing for hours trains my muscle memory better than NEW on my fingers. Though I am sure NEW has it's subtle benefits.

However, after years of doing energy work I am a lot more familiar with my body and the energy centers in it. Depending what I want to draw out and project- music and performance are a type of communication- I will focus on certain parts of my body/chakras, and stimulate them while performing playing. I feel something happening. Does it reach the people I am performing for? Not sure.

The_Musician
6th April 2006, 05:33 PM
i dont think it necessarly is supposed to reach the audience persey, but when you go into that state of mind of "focusable focus" then i couldnt see any reason why using any sort of meditation/trance while playing wouldnt affected it in a good way.

You need the utmost(sp?) focus while playing, and you need to let your fingers,arms/legs, voice, ect just move without reaction. I have been doing psionics, meditating, obe practice, ect. for about 2 1/2 months now, and it has deffenatly improved sense of sound, and also perception. (when i play i actually see shapes in a sort of tablature back screen in my brain. ei: a base tablature sheet with nothing on it, then when i start to play, i make shapes out of the sounds.)

this really helps aspiring musicians.

enoch
6th April 2006, 09:14 PM
..not really thought about it. I'd definately go with Matt on this one, though :wink:

The Venus Volta
9th April 2006, 03:39 AM
yes, my singing has improved. can mainly feel it centered around the throat and heart chakra. my range went from 2-1/2 octaves to a full 3 in the space of 3 or 4 days. with no special vocal exercising involved. just amazing.