PDA

View Full Version : a

Silviiro
17th March 2008, 12:42 AM
a

wstein
17th March 2008, 05:49 AM
Not likely. The important parts of it are the energy parts. If you had a enough training to 'get' the energy parts it might be possible but still extremely hard. Videos can give you the external physical parts but much/most of it is internal and must be felt (not seen).

Korpo
17th March 2008, 09:23 AM
I have started learning Qigong through books. While the books were really good, taking a course after some time really helped me identify what I was doing wrong by someone reviewing it.

I learned the "Open the Energy Gates" Qigong from the book by Bruce Frantzis, but I was having problems with the details of the movements. It is simply hard to describe how to exactly fold from the Kwa, for example. Or to correct your posture without a partner. Purchasing a video helped, but taking a course is usually a good way to learn the things right you were doing wrong without noticing.

I currently learn the "Dragon & Tiger" Qigong from the same source, and the manual is extremely detailed. But even these extremely precise descriptions now get filtered through what I already know about posture, etc., and I doubt I would do as well as I do now without the previous knowledge. Taking the course helped doing the basics right, the fundamentals of all moves, like how to turn, how to shift weight, how to protect the knee joints, how to keep the arms connected while moving without restricting the circulation of energy and fluids, etc.

Taking at least a beginners class of the kind of Qigong you are trying to learn might really do the trick. Learn what to look for. Learn from your instructor what you're doing wrong and work that out. Then you can go practice quite a while alone and return to your instructor for another review, and work on what (s)he thinks what deviations from good practice have crept in.

Good Qigong is usually a set of precise moves with energy work overlaid. Getting the moves right and working them into your nervous system and body memory is vital, and people underestimate how hard that may be to do right. It is not intellectual, it is a very different learning experience.

Also, usually there are no free, detailed resources. Good Qigong is most likely to be found in book and video form. I have seen some very bad and tripe meditation instructions online that might work for some, and possibly mean no harm. But doing a move wrong might impose bodily harm by overworking a sensitive joint, by putting too much weight into an unstable posture, or by overtwisting/overstretching a weak muscle.

Qigong may be known for some very soft and smooth moves, and the majority of Qigong is also composed of moves that work the body gently and without too much stretch. But neither is this true for all Qigong, nor does that mean bad posture or bad execution has no consequences. Especially the knees are very sensitive joints and have a muscle/tissue configuration that is easily damaged. Having a good teacher instruct you about the right basics for protecting the knees and how to turn without endangering them is worth the effort and money to find good instruction.

Take good care and good success,
Oliver

ejr23116
17th March 2008, 08:05 PM
I do think you can reach a certain point with self study, that's what I am presently doing. But you need to read books that are good for beginners. The one that was suggested to me and reccomended for beginners is:

"The way of energy" by Master Lam Kam Chuen. This form of Qigong is Zhan Zhuang, all the poses are still poses. It has been very therapeutic for me.

The other 2 good books that I plan to go to as my practice advances are:

1. "Opening your Energy Gates" and

2. "Warriors of Stillness".

I have read that all 3 of these books are wonderful and safe for beginners. The Way of Energy is probably the most basic, which is good to start. The simpler the better in my opinion. Obviously, it is best to learn not just from instructor, but from a master.

Note: Qigong can be dangerous. Follow the books precisely. If you learn from an instructor, research his lineage. Some instructors have an agenda more than just teaching you the art. You can fall into a "cult like" situation pretty easily. Another reason to start from a book and one that is not advanced.

Tom
17th March 2008, 08:19 PM
I am very interested in Qi Gong, but there is no where to learn it in my area. I know that it is not possible to perfect through the Internet, but I want to know if it could be learned enough to be effective as energy work. I have 1.5 years experience in martial arts if that matters.

Can you learn to speak a language online?

Same kind of thing. :)

Silviiro
17th March 2008, 10:26 PM
a

ejr23116
17th March 2008, 11:19 PM
How many people in this forum have learned all of their energy work through Robert Bruce's books or other books? It is possible to learn about various energy modalities through self study.

However, the best learning takes place face to face from a master. And if you want to be a master, you will need face to face instruction.

Korpo
18th March 2008, 08:57 AM
How many people in this forum have learned all of their energy work through Robert Bruce's books or other books? It is possible to learn about various energy modalities through self study.

Qigong usually involves movement. Precise body alignments and moves that work deeply into the body's tissues. This is hard enough to describe in print, to present fully in a video, and usually requires live instruction to be fully understood.

I had no problem to learn Robert's NEW online and from books. Moving energy with awareness is comparatively easy to learn online, moving the body - especially in coordination with the energy - poses different challenges.

I don't think a beginner needs a master. It may help, but usually a dedicated teacher is enough for a beginner. Could a beginner really recognise a master? I doubt it.

Oliver

ejr23116
18th March 2008, 10:28 AM

Qigong usually involves movement. Precise body alignments and moves that work deeply into the body's tissues. This is hard enough to describe in print, to present fully in a video, and usually requires live instruction to be fully understood.

I had no problem to learn Robert's NEW online and from books. Moving energy with awareness is comparatively easy to learn online, moving the body - especially in coordination with the energy - poses different challenges.

I don't think a beginner needs a master. It may help, but usually a dedicated teacher is enough for a beginner. Could a beginner really recognise a master? I doubt it.

Oliver

You are right...a beginnewr wouldn't recognize or need a master. But in general, it is always best to learn from the best in my opinion.

The form of Qigong that does not require movement is called Zhan Zhuang (standing like a tree meditation). And from what I have learned in just a few weeks, you are also right about qigong requiring precise body alignment. But a book with detailed instructions and good pictures/illustrations could provide this for Zhan Zhuang. I would not attempt to learn Tai Chi or other forms of Qigong that require movement from a book.

Korpo
18th March 2008, 10:44 AM
I found the descriptions in the book a bit weak, as Lam Kam Chuen does not prescribe energy work in specific to go with his standing exercises.

However, if one tries to be aware of the parts that start giving trouble during standing that actually is the beginning of putting awareness into the body.

Standing until the body shakes out the tension is a method that requires a lot of discipline. It's not for everyone either.

Take good care,
Oliver