PDA

View Full Version : The pace of energy work

ejr23116
20th March 2008, 12:58 PM
I am presently reading "Energy Work, the secret of healing and spiritual development". So far so good. I really like Robert's tactile system. Simultaneously, I have started a qigong practice. I think they compliment each other nicely.

One thing that I wish Robert would have addressed in this book is the pace at which to do the work. He does mention to start slowly and build up. He also mentions that it is important to get a good feel for the secondary and tertiary energy centers before moving to the primary energy centers.

I think it would be nice if he gave some guidelines as to how long to work each day. How many weeks or months he thinks you should spend focusing on the secondary or tertiary energy centers before moving onto primary center work. Or something similar. As everyone is different, it might be hard to set hard and fast rules, but a guideline would be nice. Better yet, possibly if he were to lay out a criteria to meet or a set of tests to pass prior to moving on to primary energy center work, that would be ideal.

I think in the excitement of this type of work, it is all too easy to rush through through the book. That's why I had somebody that I trust read the book first. They have advised me that I am not ready to go to the primary center work just yet and that I should go back and re-read/practice the work outlined in the first 4 chapters of the book.

Thoughts?

Korpo
20th March 2008, 01:18 PM
I simply think that is not doable.

It takes a degree of honesty and perserverance to really hone energy work skills. You can tell yourself more is happening than is. You can tell yourself you're doing just fine when you're barely scratching the surface.

Some people are strongly blocked and their bodies are tense and their energies flow sparsely but are easy to feel. Other people start with moving energy easily and get a wholly different set of sensations. Is the heat I feel the heat of an emotional energy, a channel being flushed of minor blockages, an inflammation? Is sensation a good sign or a bad sign? It is not easy to tell the difference. That comes with experience.

All of this takes time, rather more than less. Learn about energy. Learn about your body. Feel inside. Experiment. Find out what the reality of your energies is, which Robert cannot reliably tell you - in a book.

If you want some rules of thumb, though, I can give you some of mine:

* Take more time in terms of months and instead of expecting results try to feel what is there and learn what it is.
* Start out with little practice time and increment slowly over months.
* If in doubt, try to learn more about what is going on, ask somebody with experience and do not rush things.
* When you feel you work hard to little result you are tense and not relaxed.
* Progress will vary over time.
* There's a backlash to overdoing it.
* Be gentle.
* Only you have first-hand experience of what is going on inside you.

Nothing of this is new or original, but that's how it is IMO.

Take good care,
Oliver

CFTraveler
20th March 2008, 03:15 PM
I agree with what Oliver said, and I just want to add a few things:
Energy Work isn't Robert's first work on NEW: He talked about it in Astral Dynamics, MAP and his online works.
There is a 'guideline' in MAP, and if I remember correctly it's to work approx. 2 weeks on tertiaries, move to secondaries, (2-3 weeks) and make sure you feel the energy before moving to primaries. This is an approximation, I'd say a month for each before moving to the next.
However, as Oliver said, you need to give yourself time to learn how it feels, to learn how it feels for you, and to be able to master a technique before moving to the next. Some will go quicker, some will take longer- each person is their own universe, for they to discover.

Seeuzin
21st March 2008, 10:32 PM
There is a 'guideline' in MAP, and if I remember correctly it's to work approx. 2 weeks on tertiaries, move to secondaries, (2-3 weeks) and make sure you feel the energy before moving to primaries.

I haven't read MAP, but in Astral Dynamics, if I remember correctly, he recommends working on tertiaries and secondaries (hands/feet/arms/legs) for at LEAST 3 or 6 (can't remember which) months before moving to primaries. I think he said ideally the time spent on those areas would be longer than that - perhaps up to a year. I'll have to find the page.

Astral Dynamics is the book that I used to learn NEW, and I'm really glad it was. =/ Even just working secondaries for 20-25 mins a day proved to be overwhelming for my system after about 2 or 3 months of it. I didn't realize I was overwhelming myself until a few months had passed, either - had I worked my primaries as well, I might have overwhelmed myself in a more significant way, and not realized it til I was stuck with lots of trouble.

Anyway, I realize not everyone is as easily overwhelmed energetically as I am, but I would recommend going with his recommendations in Astral Dynamics, just to be safe. When I teach people about NEW, that's what I tell them to do.

CFTraveler
21st March 2008, 11:49 PM
Well, MAP is a system that teaches AP in 90 days, so it's going to cut down on the time for each. So if you divide it in a third exactly it would be a month each. But I do agree that it should be primarily subjective. Doing it for a longer time is perfectly acceptable as long as it doesn't become boring and cause the practicioner to give up too soon. So really it depends on the person.