PDA

View Full Version : "True Meditation" by Adyashanti

Korpo
30th March 2008, 12:12 PM
This is a truly fascinating book. It contains a wealth of useful advice, but is rather short. Actually, a lot of what is in it can be read here:

http://www.adyashanti.org/index.php?file=writings

But reading these things in the order of the book is an eye-opener IMO. Adyashanti's approach to meditation is one others might describe as "choiceless awareness" (Krishnamurti), and you could even see as "Just Sitting" (Zazen from the Zen tradition). It is so simple, it is actually hard to describe.

Observe what arises. Do not attach importance to it. Just observe. What arises. Let all be as it is.

This could be quite hard, but he also gives a very good hint: Start with the body. When a sensation arises in the body, then without strain observe it. If another arises, observe that. You will soon see that things arise and go and lack a permanent nature. You can, over time, expand into feelings, thoughts, etc.

This in itself is a joyful meditation that trains non-attachment and observing. But Adyashanti recommends combining it with spiritual questions as "Who am I?" or "What am I?" - questions directed to something internal or within you, or maybe just "What is the most important question for me now?". But this self-inquiry is not a thing of the thinking mind. Take it "below the neck", into the body, and observe what arises.

Adyashanti's approach is very liberating and direct. I like it. He has a true grasp of "effortless effort". The basic effort to stay aware is enough. You don't have to be focused. You don't have to be concentrating on a single thing. You can observe, and as long as you observe, it works.

There is more in it, and I think it is well worth reading.

Oliver

sleeper
30th March 2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks a bunch for the link, some good reading there.

I'm not sure if i've said this before on this site, but my most profound meditations were just what you posted, just sitting (or lying down :).