PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Leland's "Otherwhere"

Korpo
29th April 2008, 10:59 AM
This was just the right book at the right time. Many things in this book touched me deeply, or resonated with me, or sound just right. Kurt Leland has a very lucid and objective way of describing things, and this makes his explorations of the afterlife (he calls it "the AfterDeath Zone in Otherwhere") a great read.

So many things I have been wondering about for so long explained very well. His excellent observations explain a lot of seemingly inconsistent phenomena. I was again and again surprised by this book's contents. Every time I thought "Oh, I already read about that" it spins out into a new direction and it filled in many "blanks" for me.

Two parts of the book are especially worthy reads - his guided tour through the Christian afterlife (mostly), spanning most of the later chapters, and his quick tour through the purpose of human evolution in a simulated environment. Both are truly mind-expanding reads.

Gives Kurt's personal answers to many questions, such as:

* Where do we go when we die?
* Is there sin and a hell?
* What happens to "fundamentalist atheists"? ;)
* Does what we see in OBE and dreaming constitute truth?
* What is the purpose and nature of dreams?
* What role play symbols and personal/public "translation tables" in how our experiences unfold?
* What is the life purpose, how can you know you're pursuing it and what happens when you miss it?
* What are the entities you will encounter "over there"?
* What happens to the belief systems of cultures long gone?
* How do the entities in Otherwhere see human experience?
* Where do the entities that "run the afterlife" come from?
* How do entities from outside the human system see it?
* What is the purpose of emotions?
* How does the duality of good and evil relate to our animal origins?

Etc.

A truly worthwhile read. I found it inspiring and encouraging. :D

Oliver

Fish
29th April 2008, 01:03 PM
This book is on my 'to get list' 8)

CFTraveler
29th April 2008, 01:40 PM
Just a quick story- I had had a projection which seemed not to make sense in any context that I knew about (which isn't much, I know) when about a month after having the experience I read the book and in it he goes and describes an almost identical scenario and explains it in a way that made a lot of sense in my life. This book is cool.

Sinera
7th March 2010, 07:21 PM
tried to get it, but it is out of stock and only sold used and / or (if in stock anywhere) at horrendous prices everywhere I looked (different e-traders, ebay, amazon-mp)
:(

anybody and hints for me where to look for an affordable version of it?

selfknowing
7th March 2010, 10:23 PM
Did you check the library, or the inter-library loan?

I've been waiting for his new book, on astral travel as a spiritual practice- sounds intriguing. He mentions more about it on kurtleland.com. Perhaps you could contact him there and ask him about the book- He might know a bookstore that will ship or have a box of them- you never know. :D If you find out, please post- I've been wanting to read it too, but didn't realize it was out of print.

CFTraveler
8th March 2010, 12:18 AM
I'll see what I can find out.

Sinera
8th March 2010, 01:20 PM
thanks so far for the replies :D

yeah, I did not think about library loans because I want to possess the works on these topics and be proud of my little (but constantly growing) esoteric library :wink:
(same with music CDs for me, no online mp3 downloads, I stay old-fashioned in these respects :wink: )

CFTraveler
8th March 2010, 02:56 PM
Unfortunately, I talked to Kurt, and he reports that his publisher downsized, and as of now there are no reasonably priced copies, the cheapest being around $25 more or less. The good news is that he has gotten the publishing rights back, and is planning to re-publish it after he publishes his latest book, The Multidimensional Human.

Ouroboros
8th March 2010, 03:18 PM
Ah...well, that certainly explains why I've never seen a copy. :P

Glad he got his publishing rights back, though. That would have been a REAL shame.

Sinera
8th March 2010, 05:18 PM
ok, thanks, CFTraveler, good to know

will keep looking for a cheaper version anyway from time to time (no hurry, I still got some other books on oobes to read :) )

Korpo
3rd July 2011, 04:17 PM
From Kurt's newsletter:

Also wanted to let you know I've begun a revision of Otherwhere: A Field Guide to Nonphysical Reality for the Out-of-Body Traveler which I hope to publish as an e-book next year. The first version has been out of print for several years and copies have been listed on the Internet for 60 dollars and up. That book was finished in 1992 and published in 2001. The new version will expand and update the original with what I've learned since then about the energy bodies, planes, and a few nonphysical beings I hadn't encountered yet, such as Emissaries (hailing from other learning/reality systems than ours) and Magicians (the darkest and most powerful form of Things that Go Bump in the Night!).

This month's newsletter is called "Astral Chakras" and you can find it here (http://www.kurtleland.com/component/communicator/view/100057/13).

darron
4th July 2011, 04:49 PM
Dang where is my cat.