PDA

View Full Version : Taking Robert Bruce seriously

27th May 2008, 01:21 AM
Sorry, but I only joined to make this post.
Finally getting the highly acclaimed Astral Dynamics: A NEW Approach To Out-of-Body Experience got me expecting a wonderful book. And it was exactly that. Until Chapter 8-Imagination Versus Visualization:Using Your Imagination.

To quote:
You must feel all these movements as you construct them in your mind's eye. Do not try to see this happening, imagine and feel it happening. If may help if you consider that you are using your projected double's arms and hands to perform these actions.

I will continue to read until the end, but when a book hasn't been proofread, and a typo like that can slip through, even just ONE, it tends to take some of the credibility away from its author.

CFTraveler
27th May 2008, 01:29 AM
AD was proofread by the company that published it, Hampton Roads, if I remember correctly. It obviously got through, though. Is this an older publication of the book, or a new one?

27th May 2008, 01:53 AM
AD was proofread by the company that published it, Hampton Roads, if I remember correctly. It obviously got through, though. Is this an older publication of the book, or a new one?

It's fairly recent because the inside first page makes mention about Energy Work being released in July 2007.

Tom
27th May 2008, 02:14 AM
Sorry, but I only joined to make this post.
Finally getting the highly acclaimed Astral Dynamics: A NEW Approach To Out-of-Body Experience got me expecting a wonderful book. And it was exactly that. Until Chapter 8-Imagination Versus Visualization:Using Your Imagination.

To quote:
You must feel all these movements as you construct them in your mind's eye. Do not try to see this happening, imagine and feel it happening. If may help if you consider that you are using your projected double's arms and hands to perform these actions.

I will continue to read until the end, but when a book hasn't been proofread, and a typo like that can slip through, even just ONE, it tends to take some of the credibility away from its author.

The only problem I see is the "If may help" in the second sentence rather than "It may help". The use of feel, imagine, and then feel are correct. Anyway, nice of you to go so far out of your way to miss the point being made.

27th May 2008, 02:34 AM
Anyway, nice of you to go so far out of your way to miss the point being made.

Ironic. I understood what RB was saying, but unlike CFTraveler I think YOU missed what >I< was saying.

Finally getting the highly acclaimed Astral Dynamics: A NEW Approach To Out-of-Body Experience got me expecting a wonderful book. And it was exactly that.

Tom
27th May 2008, 02:50 AM
So clarify it for me.

27th May 2008, 02:57 AM
*AHEM*

Finally getting the highly acclaimed Astral Dynamics: A NEW Approach To Out-of-Body Experience got me expecting a wonderful book. And it was exactly that.

sleeper
27th May 2008, 04:03 AM
Ben, are you going through a tough time in your life?

Tom
27th May 2008, 07:34 AM
What I mean by "clarify" is that you should express the same idea in a different way, and possibly simplify it down to the core message. This assumes that your goal is actually to communicate.

ButterflyWoman
27th May 2008, 07:49 AM
I hate poor editing probably more than most people, and I'm extremely pedantic when it comes to published writings (I've been known to write to magazines and newspapers to correct them when they use obviously wrong words, for example, like mixing up "infer" and "imply" or "flout" and "flaunt"), and misplaced apostrophes drive me nuts, BUT poor editing is just an annoyance, and it doesn't necessarily mean that the book or article is complete rubbish. Unless the grammar/language use is consistently poor and is carried throughout the book, I simply assume that, being human, someone, somewhere, just made a minor mistake. These things happen.

Korpo
27th May 2008, 08:39 AM
From the little information I have Hampton Roads is not necessarily the best publisher, and surely not very big either. The resources required for proofreading are limited for most small publishers, which most esoteric publishers are, and additionally proofreading is one of the things publishers can squeeze a bit to reduce cost - dumping more books on less proofreaders, knowing that the impact on quality is usually only mild and overlooked by most readers.

Robert's writing style is lucid, understandable, and he has an excellent command of the balance between explaining too little and going on and on about something. His writing is just good. I enjoyed all his books, both for writing style and content.

Complaining about a single typo is just and simply way over the top.

Oliver

Neil Templar
27th May 2008, 05:21 PM

why bother reading til the end if you no longer find the author to be credible?
( i know i missed out the un, in until,it was deliberate! :wink: :D )

CFTraveler
27th May 2008, 05:43 PM
I especially liked the assumption 'but when a book hasn't been proofread', making me wonder why make this assumption at all.

Nostic
28th May 2008, 02:27 PM
I'm tend to be a neurotic and obsessive person, so I speak from experience. You should understand that nitpicks like spelling errors are just distractions of the ego. Does Roberts message have meaning or depth? I believe it does. As long as the book isn't laden with grammatical errors, big whoop. :wink:

Tempestinateapot
28th May 2008, 06:44 PM
Sorry, but I only joined to make this post. You're kidding, right? Hmmmm....I'm so very sorry, you must have a really boring life. Maybe if you finish the book, you'll have found something acutally interesting to do with your time. 8)