PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me...

Mike Dooley
25th June 2008, 06:42 PM
Is it just me or do other people at times get burnt and take breaks from their studies?

CFTraveler
25th June 2008, 07:43 PM
It depends on what their studies are, I suppose. But yes, focusing on only one thing for the longest time will eventually make you sick of it, no matter how much you like it.
I'm sure some sage somewhere said something clever about this.

Mike Dooley
26th June 2008, 01:03 AM
I'm sure some sage somewhere said something clever about this.

Yeah, I know. It sounds funny, but this is one of those times, when somebody needs to say something wise. I have taken a break from astral projection work, but I keep myself busy by listening to audio books from Dr. Wayne Dyer and Deepak Chopra. I got one from the library for tonight called "Quantum Physics for Quantum Healing." It is a dialogue between Deepak Chopra and Amit Goswami. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Korpo
26th June 2008, 06:46 AM
I know that there can be hard or disappointing times, but I never stopped. Mostly habit and momentum. I cannot say I ever got "burned", though.

Looking back, almost every time I had these phases where I thought nothing was progressing there was an insight that made new sense of it. The rules of the game changed and I needed to adapt.

For example, a year ago I had no idea why I suddenly would have wild mood swings, spontaneous anger, laughter, feelings of disassociation or sadness. It took me a while to connect this with my meditation and realise that I was tapping into old feelings. It required better grounding. After adapting to that not only my blues was gone, everything went to a new level, too.

Kamalashila writes that sometimes people ignore the things that come up during meditation, and look the other way, and try harder to "meditate". This leads to more rigidity, to the point where meditating as a practice becomes unhelpful and unfulfilling. He thinks it would be more aptly described as going through the motions. Rigidity is a special problem in anybody's practice, as it cannot be overcome by perserverance (which is part of the problem), but only by opening up to the new, IMO.

Take good care,
Oliver

ButterflyWoman
26th June 2008, 07:18 AM
My drive and interest in pretty much everything waxes and wanes. When I start to lose interest in something, I don't push it, I just find something else to do for a while. Eventually I come back to the things I love and the things I need.

As far as spiritual work and progress, I've had long periods of "rest" where I didn't do a great deal. A sort of plateau, if you will. Things slow down or speed up and I just go with them when they do. I think there's no point in forcing the issue. When it's time, it'll come back and sweep you away with it. :)

Mike Dooley
26th June 2008, 10:09 PM
My drive and interest in pretty much everything waxes and wanes. When I start to lose interest in something, I don't push it, I just find something else to do for a while. Eventually I come back to the things I love and the things I need.

As far as spiritual work and progress, I've had long periods of "rest" where I didn't do a great deal. A sort of plateau, if you will. Things slow down or speed up and I just go with them when they do. I think there's no point in forcing the issue. When it's time, it'll come back and sweep you away with it. :)

I keep trying not to push it, so it will happen naturally. But I got a copy of Energy Work, and my Mom is coming into town tomorrow with some new stones and crystals for me, so this patience may wear itself thin real quick.

It would help, if things weren't so noisy around here. I wish I could do things, when I wanted to do them. I know that I should work around these things, but with kids next door yelling for Trevor, who moved out last year, and the cops and ambulance hear every night, I have to wait until almost midnight, until things quiet down. I hate the city.

CFTraveler
26th June 2008, 10:48 PM
I recommend earplugs, the small rubber kind that you get at Home Depot. Even if you don't project with them, you'll sleep better.

Mike Dooley
26th June 2008, 10:54 PM
I recommend earplugs, the small rubber kind that you get at Home Depot. Even if you don't project with them, you'll sleep better.

I've been tempted to do that, because yelling at the little brats doesn't seem to work.

ButterflyWoman
26th June 2008, 11:55 PM
Yeah, earplugs will do the trick. And then, if I were in your position, I'd set out some intentions, blessings, and wards to keep them away.

Mike Dooley
27th June 2008, 02:18 AM
Yeah, earplugs will do the trick. And then, if I were in your position, I'd set out some intentions, blessings, and wards to keep them away.

I have tried stones, sage, etc., but I can't control what goes on outside my apartment. Most of the commotion is from people that are just passing through. I don't want to move. I love this place. I just hate the location.

ButterflyWoman
27th June 2008, 03:34 AM
I can't control what goes on outside my apartment.
Why can't you? I've put wards around an entire rather large property, and it appeared to work. You might as well give it a try. Maybe some sort of... Cone of Silence type thing. I mean, hey, it can't hurt to build an astral one and set it up to draw energy from the earth in a cycle. I would if I were in your position, but I LOVE doing wards and stuff. :)

Mike Dooley
27th June 2008, 03:40 AM
Why can't you? I've put wards around an entire rather large property, and it appeared to work. You might as well give it a try. Maybe some sort of... Cone of Silence type thing. I mean, hey, it can't hurt to build an astral one and set it up to draw energy from the earth in a cycle. I would if I were in your position, but I LOVE doing wards and stuff. :)

So how would I go about doing that. I do not really know alot about those things.

CFTraveler
27th June 2008, 04:32 AM
Why can't you? I've put wards around an entire rather large property, and it appeared to work. You might as well give it a try. Maybe some sort of... Cone of Silence type thing. I mean, hey, it can't hurt to build an astral one and set it up to draw energy from the earth in a cycle. I would if I were in your position, but I LOVE doing wards and stuff. :) So did you go see 'Get Smart' yet? I was trying to explain the Cone of Silence to my son, but he didn't get it.
I need to go to sleep now. Sorry for the off-topic comment.
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s34/smilies-33900.png

Mike Dooley
27th June 2008, 04:54 AM
Why can't you? I've put wards around an entire rather large property, and it appeared to work. You might as well give it a try. Maybe some sort of... Cone of Silence type thing. I mean, hey, it can't hurt to build an astral one and set it up to draw energy from the earth in a cycle. I would if I were in your position, but I LOVE doing wards and stuff. :) So did you go see 'Get Smart' yet? I was trying to explain the Cone of Silence to my son, but he didn't get it.
I need to go to sleep now. Sorry for the off-topic comment.
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s34/smilies-33900.png

Missed it by that much.

No haven't seen it yet. I love the old show though.

ButterflyWoman
27th June 2008, 05:24 AM
Haven't seen it yet, it's not in release in Australia yet, I don't think. I absolutely intend to see it, though. I loved the show, and I LOVE Anne Hathaway. :)

Korpo
27th June 2008, 07:18 AM
Is the noise really so bad?

I meditate on a commuter train regularly, and except if someone has a really annoying voice, I can cope somehow. While sitting at home is better, it adds to my overall time in a good way.

Maybe you could try to rise early, meditate before you start your day. If you can pull it off, it is usually a good deal quieter and you can enjoy the morning air.

Oliver

ButterflyWoman
27th June 2008, 04:35 PM
I can meditate in a noisy place, so long as the noise is not the sort that goes, "Mummy! Mummy! Mummy! Look at this!" or "Honey, where's the apple sauce?" or similar. ;)

I do meditate in the car while I'm waiting for my child to get out of school. The parking is horrible, so I have to go fairly early and I have half an hour or more to just sit quietly and wait. I often meditate then.

Funny thing about meditating with noise, I definitely do go into a nice alpha state, but I become both super aware of the noises around me and totally detached from them at the same time. I hear all the birds and cars and people walking past and so on, but I just don't care in the least about any of them, because I'm elsewhere.

oldmaster
10th July 2008, 06:25 AM
I get the same thing as Olderwiser, with the noises,and the hyperawareness/detachment, and whatnot. I also think its good practice, to meditate in a noisy place, even if it is more difficult.