PDA

View Full Version : Programming dreams

Beekeeper
17th July 2008, 11:12 AM
When in a meditative state you can programme your mind to solve a problem while you dream. For it to work, you have to be sincere about wanting an answer or advice and it has to be something you care about. An affirmation like "I dream useful information or advice that I will understand and that will help me solve this problem" will do.

Here's an example, that will show you that a Freudian interpretation just wouldn't cut it;

...A man was in a jungle surrounded by savages. They were coming menacingly close to him, their spears rising and then descending. Each spear had a hole in the tip. When he awoke he saw his dream as the answer to a problem that had had him stymied: how to design a sewing machine. He could make the needle rise and descend, but not sew until his dream told him to put a hole in the tip. The man was Elias Howe, who invented the first practical sewing machine.

The Silva Mind Control Method, Jose Silva and Philip Miele, Pocket Books, 1977, p55-56

CFTraveler
17th July 2008, 02:59 PM
I agree that when it comes to dream interpretation, you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket, but it seems to me that when you program yourself to problem-solve, and this obviously depends on the problem, the dream may indeed become mired in some sort of symbolism, be it archetypal, or stemming from childhood upbringing- so that having a working knowledge of dream imagery symbolism may come in handy.

For example, I would interpret the savages to be 'raw power' driving the lances, thus giving him the tools to figure out that mechanical force could be used to move the needle up and down.

So I wouldn't completely dismiss any system, and take what works from any of them. :wink:

Beekeeper
17th July 2008, 09:55 PM
You have a point, of course. Perhaps I should reconsider the title of this thread (went ahead and did this). I liked that interpretation you gave but could you imagination how far off the mark the interpretation could have strayed without context?

The book goes on to relate the story of a motorcyclist who was going on a 7 day road trip. He'd had a few problems on previous road trips so he programmed to foresee any dangers or obstacles. He dreamt he was served a meal of raw string beans- not something he'd want to eat.

On his trip, he encountered a small truck transporting raw string beans. He was going fast but slowed down as he neared the truck because of the dream experience. As he passed, his motorcycle slid a little on string beans that had fallen from the truck. Because he'd slowed down, he avoided a major accident.

gHOST
18th July 2008, 01:20 AM
You have a point, of course. Perhaps I should reconsider the title of this thread (went ahead and did this). I liked that interpretation you gave but could you imagination how far off the mark the interpretation could have strayed without context?

The book goes on to relate the story of a motorcyclist who was going on a 7 day road trip. He'd had a few problems on previous road trips so he programmed to foresee any dangers or obstacles. He dreamt he was served a meal of raw string beans- not something he'd want to eat.

On his trip, he encountered a small truck transporting raw string beans. He was going fast but slowed down as he neared the truck because of the dream experience. As he passed, his motorcycle slid a little on string beans that had fallen from the truck. Because he'd slowed down, he avoided a major accident.

Thats a good story :D and funny as well :p

CFTraveler
18th July 2008, 01:33 AM

On his trip, he encountered a small truck transporting raw string beans. He was going fast but slowed down as he neared the truck because of the dream experience. As he passed, his motorcycle slid a little on string beans that had fallen from the truck. Because he'd slowed down, he avoided a major accident. Obviously a precog but if you give me time I'll think of something. :D
I know! The dream saved him from eating it!
BTW, the title change confused me. :?

Zareste
18th July 2008, 02:12 AM
I use this method a lot. It seems, to me, you're not solving the problem yourself, (not usually) but telepathically getting answers, like you can do in an astral projection or remote viewing. I say that because I've gotten information about things from around the galaxy - things I couldn't have possibly known.

What I do, personally, is think of a question while falling asleep. It doesn't even have to be a question - I can just think about something like Mars and start getting information on it. I think of the subject while falling asleep, and as soon as I notice my thoughts getting weird (the onset of a dream), I wake myself up, and review the things that went through my mind. It can be very hard to spot the hidden messages because they blend with your ordinary thoughts, but anything you didn't try to think of - generally - did not come from your own mind.

In those brief two seconds of sleep, I can get a world of information. It's often called 'hypnagogic hallucinations' (voices, images) but when you wake up and review the things you heard and saw, they actually have a sense to them, and often pertain to whatever was on your mind while falling asleep. It's just that these telepathic 'replies' to your thoughts are usually not the answers you expected to hear.

gHOST
18th July 2008, 02:17 AM
I use this method a lot. It seems, to me, you're not solving the problem yourself, (not usually) but telepathically getting answers, like you can do in an astral projection or remote viewing. I say that because I've gotten information about things from around the galaxy - things I couldn't have possibly known.

Your higher self knows all.

But the idea of telepathic help coming from somewhere else is an interesting possibility.

Beekeeper
18th July 2008, 10:22 AM
It truly is more than a possibility. I receive quite a bit of information this way. I didn't realise just how much until I started keeping a dream journal several years ago. Sometimes it's really trivial, sometimes useful and often startling (like passing souls making contact at the moment of their death).

aprilla
24th July 2008, 06:44 PM

Your higher self knows all.

But the idea of telepathic help coming from somewhere else is an interesting possibility.

Yeh, we don't always get information from 'our higher selves' and not always from the deceased, or other worldy being...sometimes it is a living breathing human, and can pick up your thoughts for help without even telling them, and they suddenly give you answers in your dreams with their name attatched
strange and interesting times and all that... :lol: