PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Compass

DAN
18th July 2008, 04:45 AM
A really really good movie. I like the idea everybody had an animal that was called there demon (i think more ego) but seprate from them. Sam Elliott his demon was pretty cute :mrgreen: Nicole Kidman best movie she's been in in ages
Patrick Stewart voice of the polar bear, awesome job.
Anybody else see this movie if not you need to see it!

Beekeeper
18th July 2008, 11:17 AM
Read the books. Thought it was really funny everyone was getting their knickers in a knot over Harry Potter while this truly subversive series flew under the radar. :twisted:

Neil Templar
18th July 2008, 02:32 PM
Read the books. Thought it was really funny everyone was getting their knickers in a knot over Harry Potter while this truly subversive series flew under the radar. :twisted:

totally agree.
read the books,they are awesome. :D
to be honest the film was enjoyable but having read the books it was a little lacking..
i'm looking forward to the next one tho.. and hoping that they do an extended version of the first on dvd, like LOTR did.
cos they jumped around and missed out alot of stuff that would've been great to see.

CFTraveler
18th July 2008, 04:15 PM
Read the books. Thought it was really funny everyone was getting their knickers in a knot over Harry Potter while this truly subversive series flew under the radar. :twisted: Actually, there were a lot of churches over here sending emails to people telling them not to send their kids to the movies to see it. I waited to get a critique from someone I know, and I heard it was good. I haven't rented it yet. As you can imagine, it was a blockbuster over here. I think the churches don't realize their efforts backfired and made people want to see it even more. :D

Korpo
19th July 2008, 07:15 AM
I just watched, and while I could see it is a fascinating and well-made movie, something put me off. Maybe it is its extreme coldness. The whole movie seems cold and unemotional to me. Things happened but I did not connect to the actors. Actors and allies switched around, like it wouldn't matter who would be in the next scene anyway.

The design of the world it was in fascinated me. I've always been a fan of Jules Verne, and a quasi-magic early 20th century - this is fascinating. The looks of the movie are fantastic and pose a believable illusion. The animated animals were better than usual.

Oliver

star
20th July 2008, 11:17 AM
I had to get to the end once I started reading(books, not the movie of course). Although it sucked me in I'm not sure why. I think it might be a bit of connection to Lyra, otherwwise the dimension hopping was awesome, I enjoyed that.

Ouroboros
11th August 2008, 12:23 AM
If you've only seen the movie and not read the books, I HIGHLY recommend taking the time (if you have it to spare, of course ;) ) to do so. The movie was disappointing IMHO, because they jumped around so much it was too hard to really make people care about the story. The books are AMAZING though.