PDA

View Full Version : How to understand quantum physics

Hibby
7th August 2008, 08:22 AM
easy! watch this 5 min video
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=x_tNzeouHC4
i literally ran around the house after watching this video.

Tom
7th August 2008, 02:48 PM
Is it actually about quantum physics or is it the new age version where observations on the quantum scale are over-extended to the visible scale?

Hibby
7th August 2008, 03:08 PM
Most physicist don't bother explaining what they're talking about so rarely anyone new to it would be able to understand what it is about.
Mechanics such as entanglement, teleportation and immortality wouldn't seem to obey the laws of physics at all, for years science rejects claims of metaphysics while making claims of their own, for me quantum physics is just like magic that is reproduced in the laboratory, hopefully one day so will astral projection.

how can one particle be in two places at once, why does looking into a box make a cat die and how two dots instantaneously share the same state. Where in the world does physicist get this idea from? some mathematical equations, however no one is ever interested in looking at that let alone understand it, so this video is perspective on the unreal nature of quantum physics.

Chris_com28
7th August 2008, 09:44 PM
I also find new age versions seem to point out one or two things and fail to really examine the reason for it.

ButterflyWoman
8th August 2008, 01:49 AM
Most physicist don't bother explaining what they're talking about so rarely anyone new to it would be able to understand what it is about.
In fairness, they usually can't. Not only are physicists kind of famous for being not too great at interpersonal communication (this is a generalisation, but there really is a certain personality type that's drawn to physics!), there's a tremendous amount of background information that you need to know in order to understand a lot of the stuff they discover in/through quantum physics.

I say this because I know a fair number of physicists, and my husband, though not a physicist, works in the physical chemistry building of one of our better technical universities and knows a tremendous amount about this stuff (he was going to do a double degree with physics being one of the degrees, but decided against it for various reasons; he did qualify for the course, though). I ask him questions about physics all the time and even though he is quite good at explaining things in ways I can understand, when you get to quantum... I don't know how many times I've had to say, "I have no idea what you mean," or he's had to say, "You'd have to know a lot of the underlying mathematics to really understand this...".

Mechanics such as entanglement, teleportation and immortality wouldn't seem to obey the laws of physics at all
Well, that's because things of Spirit are not physical. Physics studies physical things. The problem is with scientists (and it actually isn't all of them, believe it or not) who believe there's nothing else.

how can one particle be in two places at once
That's the question. They're still trying to figure it out. They're not even sure if one particle IS in two places at once. It appears to be, but maybe it's something else... They don't know. (See, I've asked that one. ;))

why does looking into a box make a cat die
Actually, that metaphor was invented to demonstrate how ridiculous a particular theory was. :)

Where in the world does physicist get this idea from?
Mathematics, mostly.

however no one is ever interested in looking at that let alone understand it
What, mathematics?

Actually, people DO study things like human thought, creativity, and a lot of other stuff on the edges of "woo woo". Some people actually study parapsychology, too, though it's not a very large field and a lot of other scientists don't take it seriously.

wstein
8th August 2008, 03:22 AM
It's a good summary of observations of basic quantum mechanics. It's not however an explanation.

sono
8th August 2008, 05:18 AM
If I may add my tuppence worth, perhaps not quite on topic - a really interesting site I came across recently is this one: http://foundationreportsinlifephysics.o ... ssays.aspx (http://foundationreportsinlifephysics.org/LPGessays.aspx)
I am really dumb as regards physics, mathematics, etc., but somehow Bohm's work greatly appeals to me on a "philosophical" level (I could never understand any equations involved!) & opens new channels in the brain (mine, anyway!) I also love his conversations with J Krishnamurti.

Hibby
8th August 2008, 11:05 AM
yeas alot of the things i said below was also to point out the weird nature of quantum physics, of course its not gonna give you a PHD in quantum physics but it does give you a general idea, like how does looking into a box makes a cat die, that's one of the ideas you get when you learn about quantum physics because out of all the stuff they're trying to tell you, usually you'll only pick up the weird stuff. One way of helping people understand quantum physics was that video i posted, because it allows you to see that quantum physics doesn't obey the laws of physics. When i first saw the quantum immortality project i was just like ???? so what, according to the guy he is immortal because when he dies taht's the end of his memories. But that video showed that the act of observation changes the reality of the world. and that the guy could in fact be immortal, realising that for me was a complete shock.

theres even a theory that everything may in fact be one, that space separating objects is merely a result of our perception. A lot of quantum theories are in a way "catching up to spiritual theories". To think that science and spirituality may one day become one is really something i'd be holding my breath for.

It's a good summary of observations of basic quantum mechanics. It's not however an explanation.
Now i don't know that much about quantum physics, if you do then maybe you can correct me on this, but seeing this video pointed out that the idea of quantum physics is formed around the ideas taht observation affects reality and that the underlying physics of nature aren't 'normal'. For me it explained where the idea came from, from what basis they are making these outrageous theories. Everytime i read quantum physics i tried to apply science to it, but it just doesn't match up, now i know that to understand quantum physics i need to think of it in a different way

Not only are physicists kind of famous for being not too great at interpersonal communication
Probably explains why they're screaming at each other in the discussion room

there's a tremendous amount of background information that you need to know in order to understand a lot of the stuff they discover in/through quantum physics.
exactly why not many people understand this, for me this video cleared that up and i'm hoping it will clear up theirs as well.

I also find new age versions seem to point out one or two things and fail to really examine the reason for it.
even Jesus' parables didn't cover everything, it just needed to show one point, having too many points often makes it confusing. this video pointed out a crucial fact for me. I don't think anyone truly knows why quantum physics works, just like astral projection. And what's this business about "new age versions"

Fish
8th August 2008, 12:04 PM
theres even a theory that everything may in fact be one, that space separating objects is merely a result of our perception. A lot of quantum theories are in a way "catching up to spiritual theories". To think that science and spirituality may one day become one is really something i'd be holding my breath for.

I've thought that before myself about everything being a part of each other. Deep stuff.

Now i don't know that much about quantum physics, if you do then maybe you can correct me on this, but seeing this video pointed out that the idea of quantum physics is formed around the ideas taht observation affects reality and that the underlying physics of nature aren't 'normal'. For me it explained where the idea came from, from what basis they are making these outrageous theories. Everytime i read quantum physics i tried to apply science to it, but it just doesn't match up, now i know that to understand quantum physics i need to think of it in a different way

I agree with not normal :lol:

The video was cool thanx

Hibby
8th August 2008, 01:33 PM
I've thought that before myself about everything being a part of each other. Deep stuff.
oh yeah, i was meant to say it seemed to be similar with another thread about reality is an illusion.

Chris_com28
8th August 2008, 03:52 PM
One way of helping people understand quantum physics was that video i posted, because it allows you to see that quantum physics doesn't obey the laws of physics.
That's one of the things I like about them videos.Though I didn't like the way it didn't go into different explanations for it. They seemed to be stuck on the Copenhagen interpretation. Though the video was good at explaining the 2 slit experiment. I found cool site once where you perform the experiment yourself in an interactive animation.

but seeing this video pointed out that the idea of quantum physics is formed around the ideas taht observation affects reality and that the underlying physics of nature aren't 'normal'.
That's the Copenhagen interpretation. It's an interesting interpretation, but isn't the only one in quantum physics. Though it is good to understand both of them.

Everytime i read quantum physics i tried to apply science to it, but it just doesn't match up, now i know that to understand quantum physics i need to think of it in a different way
That's why it's said that it's easier to teach some one quantum physics who doesn't know classical physics.

Chris_com28
8th August 2008, 04:02 PM
One way of helping people understand quantum physics was that video i posted, because it allows you to see that quantum physics doesn't obey the laws of physics.
That's one of the things I like about them videos.Though I didn't like the way it didn't go into different explanations for it. They seemed to be stuck on the Copenhagen interpretation. Though the video was good at explaining the 2 slit experiment. I found cool site once where you perform the experiment yourself in an interactive animation.

but seeing this video pointed out that the idea of quantum physics is formed around the ideas taht observation affects reality and that the underlying physics of nature aren't 'normal'.
That's the Copenhagen interpretation. It's an interesting interpretation, but isn't the only one in quantum physics. Though it is good to understand both of them.

Everytime i read quantum physics i tried to apply science to it, but it just doesn't match up, now i know that to understand quantum physics i need to think of it in a different way
That's why it's said that it's easier to teach some one quantum physics who doesn't know classical physics.

even Jesus' parables didn't cover everything, it just needed to show one point, having too many points often makes it confusing. this video pointed out a crucial fact for me. I don't think anyone truly knows why quantum physics works, just like astral projection. And what's this business about "new age versions"
They don't really have to cover everything. They could just include the possibility for other interpretations. Though you're right about it being confusing. I think that's why people choose the new age version, because it's easier for them to understand.

Fish wrote:

oh yeah, i was meant to say it seemed to be similar with another thread about reality is an illusion.
It reminds me of when I used to think to myself out the nature of reality. I came to the same conclusions. I then realised that this was a common idea. I then latter was able to experience this for myself.

Fish
8th August 2008, 05:52 PM
Experience it how?

Hibby
8th August 2008, 07:28 PM
interpretations? i never knew about any interpretations when i watched this video. I remember seeing another video where they represented the experiment using photons and instead of waves, they showed the photons becoming two, one in each slit and then becoming one at the point of impact on the board.

CFTraveler
10th August 2008, 03:05 AM
interpretations? i never knew about any interpretations when i watched this videoHe's talking about the Copenhagen interpretation (measurement affects or creates the outcome) vs. 'Many Worlds' theory, which instead of observation affecting/creating the outcome, all outcomes happen but you only experience one- the rest of the possibilities (which could be almost infinite) exist in a series of parallel realities. These are two ways of understanding QM, but I'm sure not the only way.
So you see, there are more ways to skin a cat (sorry about the pun, couldn't resist) but you only experience one.

Hibby
10th August 2008, 07:27 AM
yeah i've only discovered the different interpretations on wiki after he told me, but what i'm trying to say is that the video doesn't neccesary give a single interpretation, what it shows is nature of quantum physics.

Chris_com28
10th August 2008, 05:39 PM
Experience it how?
Well it's quite a longs story and I hate repeating myself, but I'm in a good mood at the moment so I'll tell you.
It basically started off as a good day, maybe a great day. Anyway I was in a good mood all week which was weird for me as I'm usually in a very bad mood. I was actually euphoric. Anyway, I'd occaisonally get stressed because of my phonophobia. What I would do what focus on my higher chakras to sort of raise above it. I found it helped. Once I was sitting watching TV and the phonophobia got to me again. I then focused on my higher chakras and something amazing happened. It was like I went into a lucid dream. Reality no longer seemed real. It was as if I was in a dream, but I was wide awake and fully functional. Everything seemed to trivial. I was also aware of this reailty above us and that out of this maxtrix was where we really were, just like in a lucid dream. I flet we were all trapped in a bubble. Though people on forums tried to tell me that we aren't trapped I can not shake that feeling from me. From then on I really didn't give a c*** what people said about the nature of reality, I know what I experienced and that's that. I found there was no real need to worry as we were all safe outside this bubble of fear and hate. It was all a bad dream or like in the Matrix; just a VR program.

yeah i've only discovered the different interpretations on wiki after he told me, but what i'm trying to say is that the video doesn't neccesary give a single interpretation, what it shows is nature of quantum physics.
It may have not direclt said it, but it at least hints at it. Don't get me wrong, I think they're great videos for the newbie, but they should mention that there are many interpretations. Like CFT said, they don't even hint at the possiblity of multiple worlds.

ButterflyWoman
11th August 2008, 11:37 AM
It was like I went into a lucid dream. Reality no longer seemed real. It was as if I was in a dream, but I was wide awake and fully functional. Everything seemed to trivial. I was also aware of this reailty above us and that out of this maxtrix was where we really were, just like in a lucid dream. I flet we were all trapped in a bubble. Though people on forums tried to tell me that we aren't trapped I can not shake that feeling from me. From then on I really didn't give a c*** what people said about the nature of reality, I know what I experienced and that's that.
I've had a similar experience. Not precisely like that, but close enough that I recognise it. And yeah, it does make you stop caring what other people say about the nature of reality. :)

It was all a bad dream or like in the Matrix; just a VR program.
Yeah, that's a good metaphor. I love that film, so many good metaphors in it.

I also sometimes think of it as The Sims. ;)

Fish
12th August 2008, 03:17 PM
[quote=Chris_com28]It was like I went into a lucid dream. Reality no longer seemed real. It was as if I was in a dream, but I was wide awake and fully functional. Everything seemed to trivial. I was also aware of this reailty above us and that out of this maxtrix was where we really were, just like in a lucid dream. I flet we were all trapped in a bubble. Though people on forums tried to tell me that we aren't trapped I can not shake that feeling from me. From then on I really didn't give a c*** what people said about the nature of reality, I know what I experienced and that's that.
I've had a similar experience. Not precisely like that, but close enough that I recognise it. And yeah, it does make you stop caring what other people say about the nature of reality. :)

It was all a bad dream or like in the Matrix; just a VR program.
Yeah, that's a good metaphor. I love that film, so many good metaphors in it.

I also sometimes think of it as The Sims. ;)[/quote:2xrcj988]

Yep. Similar has happened to me. While it's happening you know it's all very much more reality than perception.

MichaelL
24th September 2008, 07:45 AM

Science is the name given to that part of nature that man can explain to himself.

"how can one particle be in two places at once?"

It isn't. The particle doesn't exist. Remember that the most fundamental state of reality is consciousness, one infinite consciousness. This consciousness can be thought of as a kind of energy. From localized condensations of vibrational patterns of this energy, what appears to be a particle is formed. Its not really there, it just appears that way like the crest of a wave appears to be something unto itself before it is absorbed back into the ocean. It is the act of observing that causes the localized condensations in the first place. So it is the consciousness observing itself.

Entanglement can also be explained this way as two particles are not connected over a distance, it is just two regions of the same energy that are linked somehow.

Chris_com28
26th September 2008, 08:39 PM
"how can one particle be in two places at once?"

It isn't. The particle doesn't exist. Remember that the most fundamental state of reality is consciousness

Have you read of David Bohm's interpretation of this phenomena? It would be an interesting read. Basically the two particles do exist, but they're suffering from a delusion (or illusion if you prefer). They are actually one; just different aspects of the One. He used the fish bowl and video camera analogy, which I think was very well put. It must also bee noted that he also seemed to accept other interpretations (as the good skeptic I think he is), but he seemed to prefer this interpretation. Another pseudoscientist, LOL.