PDA

View Full Version : "What dreams may come"

22nd December 2005, 02:40 AM
Questions:
1.I don't get what astral planes are, are they imaginary places that you create with your mind, or do they all look the same to everyone?

2. In the movie it says suicides go to hell, why is that? And what is hell?

Apex
22nd December 2005, 05:22 AM
This is a book or a movie?

Either way, I haven't read/seen it. I can attempt to answer your questions regardless, but they're not easy questions.

The definition of the Astral Planes varies widely depending on whom you ask. Generally, it is accepted as 'somewhere' different then the physical plane. Time moves more swiftly there than in the physical.

Whether they're imaginary or not also depends on whom you ask. Many believe it's all on your head, created from your imagination. Others believe that it actually exists outside of your mind. Either way, their appearance generally is very different to different people, with a few exceptions. This is because everything seen is interpreted instantly, and thus is seen that way by that person. Different people interpret the same thing in different ways. In the Astral, your interpretation directly changes what you're viewing.

The idea of suicide condemning a soul to hell is outdated Christian belief, which has since been abandoned. The definition of hell also varies widely depending on whom you ask.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but these are the best general, simple answers I can give.

22nd December 2005, 08:55 AM
It's a movie.
but tell me this, astral planes are places created by a persons imagination, or they are real...if thats so then why do they classify these planes into letters and numbers if there not all the same?

Apex
22nd December 2005, 07:33 PM
They're the same, but each person views them differently.

22nd December 2005, 08:04 PM
Theyre the same in what sense?

Chris
22nd December 2005, 08:56 PM
Regarding the film and suicides. It wasn't that the suicide went to hell, it was that they were so caught up in their depression they couldn't see anything else. Being in the astral where thought can create reality, this made the situation a lot worse. So they made their own 'hell'.

CFTraveler
22nd December 2005, 09:22 PM
Chris wrote:
Regarding the film and suicides. It wasn't that the suicide went to hell, it was that they were so caught up in their depression they couldn't see anything else. Being in the astral where thought can create reality, this made the situation a lot worse. So they made their own 'hell'.

A form of Buddhism (Tibetan Buddhism) believes that when you die your soul (spirit, whatever) is free to create it's own reality in an immediate way, and that it is easy for the person to believe that they are actually living what they are creating. This state/place is called the Bardo (the book that deals with this is called the Bardo Thodol) and part of their practice is when a person just died to recite prayers to remind their spirits of this. If the person dies unaware or in suicidal pain (a form of insanity, if you think about it) then they would be so involved in their creation, than they have effectively created their own "hell". This is kinda the same idea than in the movie.

22nd December 2005, 09:29 PM
So they based this on Budhism, not what they actually thinks happens after death right?

and any more responses about the astral planes, im confused about them.

Chris
22nd December 2005, 10:01 PM
So they based this on Budhism, not what they actually thinks happens after death right?

They based it on 'popular' belief of the astral planes and some basic philosophies. But it's only a film :).
My personal view of the astral planes is, I might not be 100% convinced of their given meaning i.e. we each have souls, we each live after the death of the physical body. I mean there is a possibility that the living give rise to the astral planes, and when we die, remains of our mental energies stay there (like echoes of our personality), and that is what we contact when we are looking for lost friends etc I haven’t personally heard undeniable proof that a AP guru who has passed on has had any meaningful contact with us living to answer this question once and for all.
But I have experienced enough on my own to hold ideas of what the astral is espoused as, as possibilities. But either way, if the astral planes exist independent of us, or because of us, they still exist and we can learn a lot by experiencing them – and through our exploration of them, we might answer these questions we seek.

CFTraveler
23rd December 2005, 02:16 AM
brettb said:

I don't know what theory they based it on (I don't know what persuasion the writers are) I'm just showing a belief system that explains that phenomenom. Like Chris said, It's only a film.

29th December 2005, 08:22 AM
Well, anyways this movie brought a tear to my eyes. I really liked it, whoever is reading this and hasnt seen it go rent it!