PDA

View Full Version : Mudras for activating specific chakras?

Korpo
18th August 2008, 09:21 PM
I got this idea into my head recently, and I wanted to ask if anybody has information to help with this:

I wondered whether there are mudras (hand gestures mostly) that specifically target a single chakra each to help for example meditating on it. Is there a gesture for each chakra?

I'm specifically looking for a mudra for the solarplexus chakra.

Thanks,
Oliver

Korpo
18th August 2008, 09:31 PM
I found this: http://www.eclecticenergies.com/chakras/open.php

Can somebody comment on this?

The funny thing is - the one for the sacral chakra I saw either Daoist or Buddhist meditators do. And these guys also do concentrate on the middle of the body, which I'd say this corresponds to?

The solarplexus and heart chakra ones seemed to get something going.

Oliver

Tom
18th August 2008, 09:56 PM
When you connect the tip of the thumb to the tips of the fingers of the same hand, to form a ring, you activate specific chakras. I am fairly sure that the "pinky" finger activates the heart chakra this way and the middle finger activates the third eye / ajna chakra. The others, though, I don't recall. Better just to try connecting fingers and see what you feel in your solar plexus chakra. For that matter, you could simply place your dominant / projective hand over your solar plexus with the intent to send energy.

Korpo
27th August 2008, 06:03 PM
Funny thing happened today. Doing a bit of bibliomancy I asked "What is the most important thing for me to know from this book at the moment?", let the pages slide, put my finger in and pointed on a picture. And it was this:

[attachment=0:3qyddykl]mudra.jpg[/attachment:3qyddykl]

My finger pointed to picture 9b - part of a finger sensitivity exercise. My wife tested the gesture for me, and it is indeed a solarplexus mudra! :shock:

Thanks for the tip, Tom, as your reply helped recognising it. :D

Oliver

Chris_com28
29th August 2008, 11:53 PM
I always thought that your pinky connected to your sacral chakra. Also your ring finger is believed to connect to your heart chakra.

I can't comment much on the site. I always felt more at home with just meditating on them, sometimes, the mantras. I've had a vision tellig me to keep it simple, which I try to do.

alwayson4
4th September 2008, 11:14 PM
I know kechari mudra activates heart, throat, brow and crown chakras. That is why it is called king of mudras.

Tom
4th September 2008, 11:26 PM
I know kechari mudra activates heart, throat, brow and crown chakras. That is why it is called king of mudras.

It is also very time-consuming to work your tongue to the point where you can pull it back into your throat and point the tip up to the top of your head. I've read that it can get to the point where it can be used for alternate nostril breathing by closing off the nostrils from inside with your tongue. A lot of people cheat by cutting the tongue with a razor blade repeatedly, risking nerve damage and infection, but this approach renderd the result less effective or even useless.

Korpo
5th September 2008, 06:40 AM

Chasing the "king" of something is a distraction from doing what I can actually do *now* to help my practice. So I don't do it.

Oliver

Chris_com28
5th September 2008, 08:53 AM
http://www.geocities.com/kriyadc/kechari.html

Good reading. I remember my yoga teacher mentioned it briefly on his site. Though if I remember corectly there were other dangers if you cheated and cut your tongue.

Modest
8th February 2009, 03:44 PM
The 9b is used by Crowley in a painting at hermetic.com. He was realy into willpower. :) Mudras are awesome if you're lazy directing things with your attention.
Try the peace sign i.e. smilling budha mudra with the thumb on the pinky and ring fingers. It works on the heart chakra.
Does anyone know a mudra for the dan tien?

alwayson4
8th February 2009, 04:09 PM
http://www.geocities.com/kriyadc/kechari.html

Good reading. I remember my yoga teacher mentioned it briefly on his site. Though if I remember corectly there were other dangers if you cheated and cut your tongue.

I've been snipping away for months now at my lingual frenum with a cuticle snipper. Do not use a razor blade.

No ill effects so far.

The more I learn, the more essential kechari mudra seems to be. I would not put it on the same level as a fully triggered kundalini event, but is still a significant step forward.

CFTraveler
8th February 2009, 04:19 PM
Astral Dynamics does not endorse the acts of self-mutilation for any reason whatsoever. Especially self-mutilation for the purpose of 'spiritual advancement'. The absurdity of such an idea is personally alarming to me, but as Admin I must step in and warn users of not following this practice.

Korpo
8th February 2009, 06:18 PM
I've been snipping away for months now at my lingual frenum with a cuticle snipper. Do not use a razor blade.

No ill effects so far.

The more I learn, the more essential kechari mudra seems to be. I would not put it on the same level as a fully triggered kundalini event, but is still a significant step forward.

I think that as an idea is about the worst I've heard in a long time. Please keep it out of the thread I started. If you think that people want to hear about what you are doing to yourself there, think again. Good grief! :roll:

Oliver

Timotheus
8th February 2009, 07:11 PM
:D

alwayson4
8th February 2009, 09:26 PM
I think that as an idea is about the worst I've heard in a long time. Please keep it out of the thread I started. If you think that people want to hear about what you are doing to yourself there, think again. Good grief! :roll:

Oliver

Ill stay out of your threads. I just did not want people to do the razor blade which someone mentioned.
If you want to do it safely, consult

[link deleted; Astral Dynamics does not support self-mutilation, as previously stated]

There are a ton of people there who snip (somewhere in the double digits). But many people do not need to snip. It is all a matter of luck.

The absurdity of such an idea is personally alarming to me

Noone ever said that spirtual advancement had to make sense. I long ago gave up on that tendency which always leads to somehow mishmashing various religions into unrecognizable garbage.

Ok I am outta here.

Timotheus
8th February 2009, 11:17 PM

Tom
8th February 2009, 11:39 PM
It would be nice if there were a conductive tongue extender to push up to the spot in the throat. Instant kechari.

Ouroboros
9th February 2009, 12:25 AM
It would be nice if there were a conductive tongue extender to push up to the spot in the throat. Instant kechari.

Sounds like your chance to strike it rich! ;)

Korpo
9th February 2009, 05:29 AM
I just did not want people to do the razor blade which someone mentioned.

To make it fairly clear - no one except you keeps on bringing it up (obsessively), no one asks about it, you just keep coming around and spam threads with this stuff. For some very understandable reasons people seem to be not into cutting into their tongue.

Telling someone to do something hazardous in a slightly less hazardous way is not a service.

There are a ton of people there who snip (somewhere in the double digits).

You will always find a group of people willing to do anything for any reason.

Noone ever said that spirtual advancement had to make sense.

I would expect a spiritually advanced person to be patient, loving and compassionate. That makes perfect sense. Has your practice done this for you? Is that really present in how you treat people, for example around this site?

I long ago gave up on that tendency which always leads to somehow mishmashing various religions into unrecognizable garbage.

If the new agers you have repeatedly made diminuitive remarks about would comment in the same style about your personal theories (trying to unite Tibetan Buddhism, Robert's material and Kundalini with Western High Magic), what would be the difference? What, except your personal belief otherwise does this make anything but what you just have described?

Oliver

alwayson4
9th February 2009, 06:04 AM
Why don't you read this thread from the beginning, and see how you come off, while I was clearly responding to something Chris com 28 said. Or read threads, I have started. I clearly only try to supply people with information, while you force people to accomodate to your New Age belief system

Am I forcing people through their computer screens to do certain things? No.

You take the internet too seriously. You need to grow up.

By the way, you are the ultimate hypocrite. And you are definitely not tolerant for traditional hinduism and buddhism.
The oldest and ancient hindu yoga text deals exclusivley with Kechari mudra in relation with the god Shiva, Buddha etc. A $150 dollar academic text has recently been released on this text, called "The Kecharividya of Adinatha" by Dr. James Mallinson, a sanskrit scholar, who I personally correspond with. You should definitely be more tolerant and show more respect for the most ancient and holy aspects of hinduism and buddhism which are studied by actual scholars. As an Indian, I find you offensive personally. In the Pali canon, the historical Shakyamuni Gautama Buddha practiced kechari mudra. This is fact. Even Robert Bruce said it is one of two major switches in the energy body.

what am i saying...I forgot, only New Age is propagated and tolerated here..and I must conform. I apologize, I will learn to become courteous, educated and tolerant like you. Thanks.

P.S. Thanks for calling my posts "spam."

I know none of your meanderings in your personal life is spam right? :roll:

Sorry for discussing actual relevent spiritual topics.

Korpo
9th February 2009, 07:49 AM
So, where is the part in the Pali canon where the Buddha cut his tongue to do so? Give me a reference.

Oliver

ButterflyWoman
9th February 2009, 09:26 AM
I will learn to become courteous
I'd love to see that.

Beekeeper
9th February 2009, 11:03 AM
"Ashima" is a yoga concept. It means non-violence in thought, word or deed, towards others or even directed towards oneself. So, for example, to practice extreme postures beyond the reasonable limits of the body is to violate this philosophy.

I could ask my yoga teacher about the appropriate mudra for you, Oliver, but I suspect he'd advise a complete yoga practice.

Korpo
9th February 2009, 11:47 AM
I could ask my yoga teacher about the appropriate mudra for you, Oliver, but I suspect he'd advise a complete yoga practice.

:lol:

It would be nice to know, BeeK, but don't go out of your way. :)

Thank you,
Oliver

Timotheus
9th February 2009, 03:44 PM

alwayson4
9th February 2009, 04:22 PM
So, where is the part in the Pali canon where the Buddha cut his tongue to do so? Give me a reference.

Oliver

To make it fairly clear, your obsessive censorship of eastern topics as a moderator in other threads has resulted in a profound ignorance, which is demonstrated here by the question itself. This is the only thread where I have mentioned snipping, and only then in response to two other people's comments about snipping. Actually in another thread, YOU were the first to bring up snipping :roll:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11506 (http://forums.astraldynamics.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11506)

Notice I did not mention snipping.

You see, kechari mudra can be as simple jamming the tongue into the soft palate, without going behind. This is what Buddha and Robert Bruce do/did.

Both "khecharividya of adinatha" and the holy "Hatha Yoga Pradipika" DO detail snipping of the 'frenum of death'.

On a scholarly note, as Dr. Mallinson notes, the khecharividya of adinatha is actually much older than the "oldest" Hatha yoga pradipika. Not that it matters to you.

Kechari is so profound in eastern traditions, I could go into various Tibetan death practices, shamtha, chulen, authentic TAOISM etc etc, where kechari mudra is utilized.

But I remind myself I should really be talking about lovey dovey, love and light, New Age stuff, Kurt LeLand or DNA activation :roll:. Or most hazardly, spirit communication.

I think this thread is the finest example of your absurdness:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11532 (http://forums.astraldynamics.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11532)

P.S. Don't "spam" my threads with your kurt leland nonsense, as you have obsessively spammed the rest of the forum.
You just keep coming around and spam threads with this stuff

Timotheus
9th February 2009, 05:31 PM

Timotheus
9th February 2009, 07:08 PM

CFTraveler
9th February 2009, 08:15 PM

Oliver

To make it fairly clear, your obsessive censorship of eastern topics as a moderator in other threads has resulted in a profound ignorance, which is demonstrated here by the question itself. This is the only thread where I have mentioned snipping, and only then in response to two other people's comments about snipping. Actually in another thread, YOU were the first to bring up snipping :roll:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11506 (http://forums.astraldynamics.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11506)

Notice I did not mention snipping.

You see, kechari mudra can be as simple jamming the tongue into the soft palate, without going behind. This is what Buddha and Robert Bruce do/did.

Both "khecharividya of adinatha" and the holy "Hatha Yoga Pradipika" DO detail snipping of the 'frenum of death'.

On a scholarly note, as Dr. Mallinson notes, the khecharividya of adinatha is actually much older than the "oldest" Hatha yoga pradipika. Not that it matters to you.

Kechari is so profound in eastern traditions, I could go into various Tibetan death practices, shamtha, chulen, authentic TAOISM etc etc, where kechari mudra is utilized.

But I remind myself I should really be talking about lovey dovey, love and light, New Age stuff, Kurt LeLand or DNA activation :roll:. Or most hazardly, spirit communication.

I think this thread is the finest example of your absurdness:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11532 (http://forums.astraldynamics.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11532)

P.S. Don't "spam" my threads with your kurt leland nonsense, as you have obsessively spammed the rest of the forum.
You just keep coming around and spam threads with this stuff

You have a right to disagree with his viewpoint as much as he has a right to disagree with yours. But that doesn't give you the right to insult him by calling what he talks about as 'nonsense'.
This is the last warning you got.

sono
10th February 2009, 04:46 AM
Whew! Korpo, may I interject at this point with a link to a site that gives a very clear view of the mudras involved in opening the chakras? http://www.eclecticenergies.com/chakras/open.php

These are the "traditional" mudras & vocalisations; I use them with a slight variation on the navel chakra mudra - hope you find them useful

Modest
10th February 2009, 05:00 AM
Yes, the Hatha yoga pradipika writes about cutting the tongue. And no, I would not advise that because there're stretching practices. If you realy want to be a Kiss fan... :)

Korpo
10th February 2009, 07:13 AM
These are the "traditional" mudras & vocalisations; I use them with a slight variation on the navel chakra mudra - hope you find them useful

Thank you. :)

Oliver

Modest
10th February 2009, 03:40 PM
sono, what mudra do you use for the navel?

Modest
10th February 2009, 04:42 PM
A mudra to disperse anger & flaming.
Clasp your fingers like you want to punch something. Put the thumb inside the clasped fingers. It makes one calmer and helps in re-thinking the situation.

Neil Templar
10th February 2009, 05:54 PM
A mudra to disperse anger & flaming.
Clasp your fingers like you want to punch something. Put the thumb inside the clasped fingers. It makes one calmer and helps in re-thinking the situation.

never punch anything with your thumb inside the clasped fingers tho, you'll likely break your thumb. :shock:

Modest
10th February 2009, 06:11 PM
True true. :D

Timotheus
10th February 2009, 06:33 PM

star
10th February 2009, 09:10 PM
sono, what mudra do you use for the navel?

I've practiced thumb to ring finger, closing my eyes, taking a deep breath and taking a step back.

Mickey
23rd February 2009, 10:03 AM
I've found the following mudra to be effective & helpful in opening the area around the heart and throat chakra and the pathways into the arms:

-Fold over the index finger down onto the soft, fleshy area below the thumb.

-Join the sides of the middle and ring fingers at the tip, keeping the upper ridge of the fingers aligned (i.e both fingertips protruding out from the hand at the same distance, this will arc the middle finger slightly).

-Fold down the two fingers and place the tip of the thumb on top of the joined middle and ring finger.

-Point the little finger outward in a straight line as an extension of the forearm.

Mickey
23rd February 2009, 10:18 AM
@alwayson4:

I think it is a very bad idea to attempt practices such as the esoteric variants of kechari or to try to awaken the Kundalini instead of having her come to you by her own accord. I had to learn this the VERY hard way - there may be lots of grief and suffering involved. In my experience scholars are scholars, very few have hands-on and personal experience of the things they may write about and authentic tantric kundalini yoga gurus who actually know what they're doing are hard to find. Besides, self-mutilation and other similar unnatural practices aren't necessary at all. You can access the inner worlds and practice spritual self-realisation by methods such as those compiled by Robert or yoga as advocated by Patanjali and have a safer journey.

8)

Tom
23rd February 2009, 03:29 PM
Some of us want the bumpy ride, so long as it gets there faster and doesn't feel like it involves standing still most of the time.

Ouroboros
23rd February 2009, 03:34 PM
Some of us want the bumpy ride, so long as it gets there faster and doesn't feel like it involves standing still most of the time.

I sometimes wonder if that's how it's gonna be for me. I have this sense that I'm going through a preparation process, sort of buckling myself in for the ride as it were.

Timotheus
23rd February 2009, 04:17 PM

Korpo
23rd February 2009, 06:54 PM

It just don't seems faster, just more extreme. One can always invest a lot in anything, but the returns vary wildly. It might be a real booster, but it kind of feels wrong - to me. Doesn't need to mean anything.

Oliver

Mickey
23rd February 2009, 07:50 PM

...the great cosmic joke being that we don't really have to go anywhere at all. Here or there - it's all the same! :D

star
23rd February 2009, 08:12 PM

...the great cosmic joke being that we don't really have to go anywhere at all. Here or there - it's all the same! :D

Working on the self is so important, knowing yourself as it were. Don't be fooled into thinking that other people are around for no reason though, that's an imbalance. (IMO and tested)

Timotheus
23rd February 2009, 09:14 PM

star
24th February 2009, 06:44 PM
I don't know what letting go entails, so I'm not sure if I'm afraid of that. I am afriad of the unknown. When i do introspection, it helps me work out my reasons for being so afraid. Its difficult to teach myself to "let go" of those fears, but I'm not afraid to do so.

What helps me is to drop expectations. Doing that even helped me open up some clairvoyance.

blis
12th August 2014, 01:33 AM
You can use your energy tongue for kechari mudra btw.

I made a post ages ago about exploring around up there with your energy tongue.