PDA

View Full Version : Physical fitness affect energy sensations?

MinstruelZ
27th August 2008, 04:36 PM
Should someone who is in pretty good physical shape expect to get less overall sensations from doing energy work. By "less overall sensations" I'm talking about some of the painful or intense sensations caused by energy blockages that are described in Energy Work. Like people falling out of their chairs or having intense "bone deep tickling sensations".

The reason I'm asking is that some places, like the upper leg and upper arm, feel very little sensations when doing energy work. There are some light surface and deeper level sensations, but nothing compared to what I've felt in the feet and hands. My concern is that a) I'm not doing the exercises properly or concentrating enough, or b) I have an energy block and I'm skipping over it.

I'm fairly young and have exercised and stretched for a bunch of years, so I'm thinking my physical condition would play into having fewer energy blockages than an older more sedentary individual. Thanks!

CFTraveler
27th August 2008, 04:54 PM
Maybe. It depends on how you exercise. The more mindful the exercise is the more energy you run through your body. However, energy sensations will vary anyways, and some parts are naturally more sensitive than others.
If you've injured muscles for example, you may have created blocks, as well as someone sedentary who does nothing. Anyway, have you read this topic? It's useful.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9980 (http://forums.astraldynamics.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9980)

Korpo
27th August 2008, 09:00 PM
On the whole it's not the amount of exercise you get (though that may help a bit) but the amount of stress you "store" in your body.

Bruce Frantzis wrote in "The Power of Internal Martial Arts" that he trained intensely for years and years in the martial arts, especially his favorite Karate, before he got into relaxation practice and energy work. When he started the practice of "Standing" for development of Qi power he found that the "tense to the extreme" attitude of Karate (tense at punch to maximise effect) actually was locked into his system by then. When he stood for longer times his legs would shake too a strong degree while releasing the stress he had worked into every muscles when honing and training it.

His muscles knew how to contract sharply, but the energy flow did not grow to a similar degree. The more tense you are, the less energy flow, the less nerve sensation. His practice of steeling the body had actually numbed the nerves and impaired optimal energy flow.

Maybe this helps to determine for yourself what is the case.

Also - straight stretching like typical in almost all Western sports works only part of the muscles. Interwoven other muscles are only worked when circular movements are made. To stretch these requires other training and stretching regimes, like for example the slow stretches of Taiji. Stretch need not equal stretch. An example of extreme stretch capability with impaired energy flow would be this:

http://www.energyarts.com/Articles/Bruc ... tcase.html (http://www.energyarts.com/Articles/Bruce-s-Articles/The-Man-in-the-Suitcase.html)

So - what were your favorite activities, and were you rather tense or relaxed when doing them?

Oliver

MinstruelZ
28th August 2008, 03:08 AM
Thanks for the great answers.

That does change my perspective. I lift weights and do cardio a few times a week. It's hard to say to what degree I'm relaxed or tense, but given that I'm lifting weights I can see how I may need to do more work in some areas to see what comes of it. I'm having trouble feeling much sensations in my larger muscles, like the quadricep, tricep, etc. I've been considering getting into a Tai Chi or yoga class

Korpo
28th August 2008, 07:49 AM
Overtraining a muscle can lead to tear, inflammation, scar tissue, etc. All of these block out energy flow.

Taiji can be a good addition for body builders to stay agile while developing build. Taiji is not a cardio-vascular exercise. It is on the contrary known for lowering blood pressure, heart rate and relax, while still working the muscles and activating and flushing the energy channels.

If you would add something like that in the package, your health might benefit more and injuries from training might heal of quicker.

Take good care,
Oliver