PDA

View Full Version : Body Scan

Ouroboros
28th August 2008, 06:36 AM
I just went through my first guided meditation! It's the Body Scan from "The Mindful Way Through Depression," which basically involves just becoming aware of every part of your body, one section at a time.

Having done some of the basic prep work for NEW in Astral Dynamics, this was a really easy meditation for me to do. The experience itself was very interesting...as I went through it, and when I got towards the end, I felt almost as if my entire body was enveloped in a kind of warm and gentle blanket...and I'm still feeling waves of this sensation come and go. My mind didn't wander nearly as much as I thought it would, and when it did I just refocused on being aware of my body. I think the fact that I was listening to a guided meditation helped with that, though. I'll have to experiment without the CD to see if the mind chatter is more pronounced when it doesn't have a voice to hold it's attention.

Interestingly enough, my right elbow has been really sore all day (possibly due to a bad sunburn I got on my arm earlier in the day x.x). When I got to the arm portions of the body scan, I didn't really pay any particularly special attention to the pain...I just kind of let myself be aware of it along with all of the other sensations in my arms, I guess in a way taking it as part of the whole. At some point in the meditation, it didn't even hurt anymore.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with the experience, and look forward to tomorrow's meditation.

Korpo
28th August 2008, 08:27 AM
Congrats! :D

Oliver

ButterflyWoman
28th August 2008, 10:26 AM
That sounds great. I'm particularly intrigued by the release of pain from the elbow. Very promising. :)

Fish
28th August 2008, 12:50 PM
8) 8)

Ouroboros
29th August 2008, 04:09 AM
That sounds great. I'm particularly intrigued by the release of pain from the elbow. Very promising. :)

It was very cool, but I have to clarify that after I was finished with the meditation the pain came back after a few minutes.

However, today my arm is back to normal. Well, it's still a little red, but there's no pain or discomfort. :P

Korpo
29th August 2008, 07:10 AM
Pain layers into the body. I have places in my body I've been working for years, but I'm getting deeper into the same pain. Okay, it sometimes feels like working the same all over again but that's not what happens. Pain can go on the first try, after a few releases, or not until an underlying emotional reason has been fully released.

Since the physical pain and potential emotional causes are interlinked, working on one is working on the others, too, and will help release all in the long run. No matter how you view it, you are making progress. And that is speedier progress than the natural healing. So you are doing just fine, even if it seems a bit like "back and forth" in the beginning.

Oliver