PDA

View Full Version : Very Long Meditations - looking for tips

sleeper
29th August 2008, 08:21 PM
howdy.

I have some very long meditations in mind - and i'm looking for tips on how to stay in the meditation for that long and longer.

Bodily discomfort is my main concern, such as hands and feet falling asleep, or butt and back pain, but also other things, such as bathroom breaks, being hungry, restless, etc.

what I've done in the past was nap at lunchtime (so i'm well rested and not as sleepy), get some exercise (usually after work) so i'm not as restless, eat some fruit so i'm energized but not full, eat salt so i retain some water and have to pee less often. and during the meditation, i usually do it laying down so when i change position (usually once per hour) it doesn't interrupt my trance too much.

anyhoo, i'm eager and open to anything to help with this.

CFTraveler
29th August 2008, 09:44 PM
How long is long?

sleeper
30th August 2008, 04:43 AM
How long is long?

exceeding 3 hours. rarely can i exceed 3 hours.

ButterflyWoman
30th August 2008, 12:32 PM
Are you normally taken out of a trance by some sort of bodily thing? Discomfort, needing to use the toilet, hunger, etc. etc.?

Some of the things you ask about can be fixed by lying down comfortably to meditate. That should deal with the body parts going to sleep and so on.

Otherwise only thing I can suggest is to make sure you eat a good meal and empty your bladder and attend to all your physical needs prior to meditation.

Think of it like a car trip, I guess... ;)

Korpo
30th August 2008, 05:06 PM
Daoists use Qigong bodywork to prepare themselves for meditation, as Yogis does with asanas etc. If you release any tension in the body as preparation for the meditation you probably can sit, stand or lie without discomfort profoundly longer.

That's even the original reason for doing postures in Yoga - being able to sit longer without discomfort. Shaolin monks originally did their body training to be able to sit in meditation without distraction (but I think it got a bit out of hand with all the Kung Fu monks... ;) ).

Stretch the bod thoroughly out in a way that you can also relax with. Regular sports don't do that, but either a good Qigong routine or Yoga will. For example "Gods Playing in the Clouds" is viewed as "the bridge towards meditation", and also there is Taoist Yoga (I guess it's called Dao Yin) that stretches the body out.

Just today I realised that the sitting position I had was not uncomfortable by itself, just because it was involving tense muscles in my body. The better you work your body to be not tense, the less such effects should get.

Oliver

sleeper
8th September 2008, 08:48 PM
Are you normally taken out of a trance by some sort of bodily thing? Discomfort, needing to use the toilet, hunger, etc. etc.?

Usually the toilet, and my hands fall asleep because of upper back pain. When I lie on my back for very long, my mid-upper back hurts a little and somehow limits blood flow in my arms.

Think of it like a car trip, I guess... ;)
that's a good perspective. A multidimensional, formless car trip down roadway conscious-awareness to destination everywhere.

That's even the original reason for doing postures in Yoga - being able to sit longer without discomfort.
it's true that my flexibility sucks...I work at a computer desk much of my day and that hurts both my back, and my flexibility.

Since you posted that, I've been working on yoga every day, working on longer and longer yoga and stretching routines. It's humbling to do it, but i think It will help a lot.

I made a concerted effort to raise K yesterday, and i found out that perhaps the most important thing is good technique. I tried a variety of things that Robert Bruce and Aunt Claire recommend, as well as some other stuff. I had some good results. even though no K rising happened - I know I was very close at a few times and it was all a matter of technique and skill. So i'll work on endurance, technique and skill, it seems.