PDA

View Full Version : Word of the Month: Samadhi

CFTraveler
25th November 2008, 04:07 PM
Samadhi (samādhi ♥¤¸♥¤®♥¤¾♥¤§♥¤¿, pronounced [sÉ‘madÊ°i]) is a Sanskrit term for the state of consciousness induced by complete meditation. Its etymology comes from sam (together or integrated), a (towards), and dha (to get, to hold). Thus the result might be seen to be to acquire integration or wholeness, or truth (samapatti).

It's more complicated than this- for more info follow the link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam%C4%81dhi

alwayson4
25th November 2008, 06:41 PM
From my understanding, samadhi is just a stepping stone to the natural state/the NOW.

Tom
25th November 2008, 07:14 PM
From my understanding, samadhi is just a stepping stone to the natural state/the NOW.

There are many varieties of Samadhi. Even ordinary waking consciousness, applied to completing a task, is its own level of absorption or Samadhi. In terms of the progression from sensory withdrawal (pratyahara) to dharana (concentration) it counts after 12 continuous seconds of holding an object in mind. Then it becomes meditation (dhyana) after 12 x 12 seconds, or 2 minutes 24 seconds of continuously holding the object. The first level of Samadhi arises after 12 x 12 x 12 seconds or 28 minutes 48 seconds. Of course, I refer to only the initial attainment of Samadhi - and this is "with seed" because the mind is absorbed in a single object. This is when the boundaries between observer and observed break down. There is also a higher level of Samadhi "without seed" after the remnants of duality have faded out.

In resting in the NOW, it is not necessary to be free from thoughts; it is just necessary to not be identified with them, so as to be undisturbed whether there are thoughts or an absence of thoughts. This is easier to accomplish at first in an absence of thought, and carried over into daily activity.

alwayson4
25th November 2008, 08:47 PM
yep, I agree with a lot of what you said there. :D

I just wanted to make the point, that staring at a wall for 2 hours without thinking (i.e. samadhi) is useful to develop concentration. But the realizations do not come, until you combine that mindset into life/reality/NOW.

Tom
25th November 2008, 09:02 PM
Samadhi as a tool of yoga goes beyond just sitting without thinking. The goal is union with God, after the distractions of the senses are cut off. In Samadhi even the tendencies to move away from God are roasted in the deepest parts of the subconscious mind.

alwayson4
25th November 2008, 09:05 PM
Robert Bruce's kundalini samadhi is a whole different story.

Even in Buddism, there is a difference between concentration samadhi and kundalini samadhi

Tom
25th November 2008, 10:53 PM
The word Samadhi tends to be associated with Raja Yoga, so I was taking it in that context rather than a Buddhist one - in which case, we'd be talking about Jhana.

SP3
5th March 2009, 06:51 AM
Meditation/Samadhi Explanation; “Concentrative mindfulness” of the rise and fall of feelings, perceptions and thoughts. It has been described as a non-dualistic state of consciousness in which the consciousness of the experiencing subject becomes one with the experienced object, and in which the mind becomes still (one-pointed or concentrated) though the person remains conscious. The Buddhist suttas mention that Samadhi practitioners may develop supernormal powers (abhijna, cf. siddhis), and list several that the Buddha developed, Samadhi is also viewed as serving as the basis for increasing intelligence. According to B. Alan Wallace, Buddhist psychology suggests that concentration may be a factor in the emergence of extraordinary intelligence.

Focus on a single breath (mouth closed), in and out at the entrance of the nose. Keep focus only on that breath, anything else comes into your mind or you start to think of something else, go back to the focus only on breath from your nose. Your mind will keep on shifting your focus thoughts, feelings and even the focus of your breath to your lungs breathing…focus only on breath from your nose (a single point/thought). This takes allot of practice. 10 – 30min a day, if possible 3 times a day, for 1-3 months. You want to be able to increase periods of concentration only on a single thought for as long as possible and avoid wondering off with other thoughts, feelings or distractions of any kind.

It takes allot of hard work and you may only be able to do it momentarily because it is startling. I found that the more I practiced the more it happened. I once meditated for an hour, during one of the hottest of summer days with no air-conditioning sweating all over in buckets while my room was facing the backyard of a large Caribbean family BBQ (very loud music and screaming kids, etc.). The hour flew by as if I disappeared. I was really surprised. That is kind of how hard you have to try to get to that state. You develop allot of abilities and experience allot in your everyday life outside of meditation.