PDA

View Full Version : fun with kittie..

Neil Templar
17th September 2008, 07:03 PM
last night i had 30 mins of the best fun in ages.
i have a 5-6 month old kitten, a recent arrival in my home.
she's a beautiful short haired black cat.
lately she's taken to hiding and attacking passers-by.
last night i spent a good 30 mins running from room to room, as she would hide in each room, and as i entered, she's spring from her hiding place, in a mid-air attack-star shaped, all feet off the ground..
she'd hit her target-me, and then run off to the room next door, where she'd hide again.
i'd then run into the room, allowing her to attack from her hiding place again, and then she'd be gone...to the next room.
she'd hide, and i'd go in and be attacked.

sooo much fun.
i was lost in the simple pleasure of playing, something i haven't experienced (outside of OBE/dream states) in a long time. :D

i love the lessons in simplicity our pets can teach us.
no need to overthink it-just have fun doing. 8) :lol:

Korpo
17th September 2008, 09:17 PM
My dog likes to play "Who's first on the couch?"... Last night she got distracted, ran the wrong way round the bookcase, and I was first... So she jumped half over the table and half over me and landed sprawled over the couch and me. (Sore loser :P ) That was fun! :D

Pets are good pals, you're right Neil. And great playmates! :)

Oliver

ButterflyWoman
17th September 2008, 10:42 PM
A cat is good for reminding you of what's important in life. And, obviously, it's the cat. The cat is the most important thing, like, in the entire universe. Your petty worries and concerns may be noteworthy, but they're hardly as important as the cat, you know?

This is what my cat has taught me. :)

My cat is an old girl now. She's fourteen, and doesn't play much. She's mostly interested in lying around and occasionally looking out the window (can't even persuade her to go outside these days). However, a couple weeks ago we found and old cat toy, one of the "feathers and sparkly things on the end of a flexible stick" sorts, and I was showing my kids how to tease the cat into playing.

Cat was annoyed at first, but then started to get into it. She was even doing "paws of fury", where all four feet bat furiously at once, so funny to watch! She played with the kids and me for a good twenty minutes before she said, in her cat way, "Well, that's enough of that. I'm going to go somewhere that people won't annoy me with feathers on a stick," and took off.

And for those twenty minutes, nothing was more important than playing with the cat. Nothing. I still smile when I think about it. :)

I hope one day to have a cat who plays "hide and pounce", that sounds like great fun!

Ouroboros
17th September 2008, 10:55 PM
I feel quite fortunate to have a friend who has a very well-mannered and laid back wolf. There's nothing quite like looking up every now and then and remembering that you're sharing the room with a big ol' beast that could snap your arm off without even trying, except you know that he'd never hurt you because you're part of the pack. He's very intelligent in his own way, and sometimes you sort of get the feeling that he knows a lot more than he's letting on.

Best part is though, along with the wolf he has two cats. And they all get along pretty well. In fact, the youngest kittie is quite good friends with the wolf, and it can be really cute to watch them interact.

sdbl731
18th September 2008, 12:47 PM
last night i had 30 mins of the best fun in ages.
i have a 5-6 month old kitten, a recent arrival in my home.
she's a beautiful short haired black cat.
lately she's taken to hiding and attacking passers-by.
last night i spent a good 30 mins running from room to room, as she would hide in each room, and as i entered, she's spring from her hiding place, in a mid-air attack-star shaped, all feet off the ground..
she'd hit her target-me, and then run off to the room next door, where she'd hide again.
i'd then run into the room, allowing her to attack from her hiding place again, and then she'd be gone...to the next room.
she'd hide, and i'd go in and be attacked.

sooo much fun.
i was lost in the simple pleasure of playing, something i haven't experienced (outside of OBE/dream states) in a long time. :D

i love the lessons in simplicity our pets can teach us.
no need to overthink it-just have fun doing. 8) :lol:

That's exactly what my cat does (when she's in the mood)! I didn't know other cats played tag / hide & seek (a sort of combination of the two). She's 4 now but she still gets in the mood occasionally. She basically runs to me, doesn't quite touch me, and then runs and hides. I run to the hiding place, look at her, and then run to my hiding place. Then the process repeats - it's a good deal of fun, but I do get tired out pretty quickly.

Andy

Neil Templar
18th September 2008, 12:56 PM
I feel quite fortunate to have a friend who has a very well-mannered and laid back wolf. There's nothing quite like looking up every now and then and remembering that you're sharing the room with a big ol' beast that could snap your arm off without even trying, except you know that he'd never hurt you because you're part of the pack. He's very intelligent in his own way, and sometimes you sort of get the feeling that he knows a lot more than he's letting on.

Best part is though, along with the wolf he has two cats. And they all get along pretty well. In fact, the youngest kittie is quite good friends with the wolf, and it can be really cute to watch them interact.

i always wanted a wolf.
if not a wolf, then something close.. someday i'll have that secluded house in the hills/woods, and a couple of big shaggy dogs..and of course a few cats around the place. :)

CFTraveler
18th September 2008, 01:05 PM
My cats play tag. When it's with each other, they end up tussling. When it's with one of us, we wear out faster. It is great fun.

Korpo
18th September 2008, 06:54 PM
This cat has a good grasp on a game as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muLIPWjks_M

Oliver

DAN
19th September 2008, 06:22 PM
Hairball Bowling
http://upchucky.com/games/hairball-bowling.html

Fish
22nd September 2008, 06:50 PM
That sounds great Neil 8) 8)

I thought Wolves would eat my cat. I was looking into getting one, many of the websites I visited about info advised strongly against introducing a cat to a wolf. That's great they get along!

I have a story to tell based on playing tag.. My mom's dog was out on the run one day and there was this rabbit near by that would hop up to just as far as her chain would go and then that rabbit would bound off once the dog jerked at the end of her chain. This rabbit does this all the time to that poor dog now :lol:

Neil Templar
24th September 2008, 07:51 PM
Haha! i've just discovered that my little cat goes CRAZY when i whistle the original Star Trek theme tune. :lol:

Fish
25th September 2008, 11:54 AM
Sounds like your cat has quite the personality!

Neil Templar
25th September 2008, 09:57 PM
hehe, yeah, she's a character alright!
she's so sociable it's unbelievable.. :D and cheeky. :twisted:

Fish
26th September 2008, 12:37 PM
Good thing this isn’t the “Love” forum :lol:

I love dogs too. I could never bring myself to replace my Harley after he passed.. it was like losing a best friend :cry:

CFTraveler
26th September 2008, 09:01 PM
Oh, I thought the cat overlords hadn't taken over your mind yet. That's better- shape up or I'll sic mine on you. :twisted:

amazingjourney
27th September 2008, 02:35 AM
This cat has a good grasp on a game as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muLIPWjks_M

Oliver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAbG0SufYSc This one has a shocker at the end!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiPcFubR ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiPcFubRxV8&feature=related) short one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx5ro7kj ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx5ro7kjesQ&feature=related) short one too

CFTraveler
3rd October 2008, 03:07 PM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/funny-pictures-cat-will-spare-you-when-he-conquers-the-world.jpg

Fish
3rd October 2008, 06:44 PM
:lol:

sdbl731
3rd October 2008, 11:37 PM
CF,
Great picture! I love icanhascheezburger.com (or as some people call it, ICHC)!

Andy

Neil Templar
17th October 2008, 04:43 PM
HAHAHA!!
the little one has just discovered the cursor moving around the screen... :lol:
what fun!!!

CFTraveler
17th October 2008, 05:52 PM
HAHAHA!!
the little one has just discovered the cursor moving around the screen... :lol:
what fun!!!
It's really going to be fun when he deletes something you just wrote before hitting 'send'. Now that's fun!

Neil Templar
18th October 2008, 12:32 PM
please CF, don't give her any ideas. i hope she can't read.. :wink:
she's into everything as it is... :roll:

VioletImagery
1st December 2008, 03:16 AM
Lol, I am enjoying the cat stories. I have always been a cat person, but only a couple of months ago did I have the honor of becoming the sole slave to two feline overlords. My training/brainwashing has been proceeding well, I think. They pretty much do whatever they want and I clean up the mess. The primary troublemaker is a 6 month old Maine Coon. Water doesn't really phase him (he LIKES 'helping' me with washing dishes and putting laundry in the washer and mopping the floor, etc. He will even try to sit in the sink when I'm rinsing vegetables) so there is no point in fighting back with a squirt bottle. Oh well, I am enjoying my servitude anyway, the masters are very generous with cuddles and purrs.

Sparkwielder
1st December 2008, 04:26 PM
Cats are awesome! They are great friends, comedians, and teachers. Now science has proven that they are even good medicine.[attachment=0:yh5h5pui]Dittofish.jpg[/attachment:yh5h5pui]

However, when this one helps me with my gardening chores, I wish that I had named him "Satan's little helper" :twisted:

sdbl731
1st December 2008, 06:13 PM
"Satan's little helper"
This is REALLY off-topic, but I just noticed that Satan and Santa are anagrams; go figure... :P
I think I was reminded of "Santa's little helper" from The Simpsons, if anyone here watches that.

Andy

Neil Templar
1st December 2008, 09:25 PM
i swear my wee cat is messing with me sometimes.
last night she kept me awake all night. she's a cheeky little thing.
there are things she's not allowed to go near, cos she tries to scratch them, and i've made it very clear that it's not allowed, eg my plant, which is growing well, or a wall hanging that i have.
so what she does is, sneaks up to the plant, then she sits and looks at me, until she's sure i've seen her.
then i tell her NO, and she knows what it means, but she'll attack the plant anyway, then run away before i can grab her.
then a minute later, she's back... same thing again..
she'll play this game four or five times, and then she'll come over and be all submissive, licking my hands and purring, rolling over in a way that's too cute to believe!!
how can you be mad at something so damn cute??

CFTraveler
1st December 2008, 09:55 PM
Get her some cat grass (which is really oat grass.) Then when she throws up, you'll know it's healthy throwup. Hee hee hee.

Sparkwielder
2nd December 2008, 02:00 AM
"Santa's little helper" from The Simpsons, if anyone here watches that.
That's exactly where I stole the idea from!

Mom was telling me that she was washing the car yesterday, and that this cat waited until she got it all dry to jump up on it, and walk across the windshield. I suggested the new name to her at point, and she liked it because she had a name for him that was a bit more vulgar!

This cat really likes to get into every thing, including my little lavender seedlings. He likes the nice neat depressions in the ground for napping, but I solved that problem with the stakes.

Neil, your story sounds all too familiar! They know exactly what they are not supposed to do, and they will do it any chance they get! They are masters at manipulation!