PDA

View Full Version : The effects of beer and wine on a spiritual practice

wer
19th October 2008, 12:07 AM
I have just recently began the Mastering Astral Projection program, and decided that it was necessary that I cease all consumption of alcoholic beverages until I reach my spiritual goals. I was wondering if it will ever be acceptable for me to drink ever again, given that I plan to pursue the practice of energy work and OBEs extensively, and eventually wish to induce Kundalini. I'm not talking about getting totally drunk, but only having 2-3 glasses of wine every two weeks or so. I am ready to give up such things if my practice requires it, but I also would like to continue having the occasional drink if it has minimal negative effects on the energy system.

Are there any experience practitioners here that can tell me how I should approach this?

Palehorse Redivivus
19th October 2008, 12:26 AM
I would say the key here is personal preference, and listening to your body for what it wants and needs. I drink very moderately, and also do energy work daily; I've never noted any specific conflict between the two. I've read of some though, who got to a certain point in their development and found that any alcohol at all really disagreed with their system. Others simply feel compelled to give it up voluntarily, for various reasons. So, it's really up to you, and whether you feel it does or does not interfere with what you're shooting for. There's really no blanket-recommendation that's based on empirical data as far as I know, though of course anything in excess can cause imbalances, energetic and otherwise. If you need to give it up completely though, your body will let you know.

ButterflyWoman
19th October 2008, 03:26 AM
I drink very moderately, and also do energy work daily; I've never noted any specific conflict between the two.
Ditto.

The biggest problem I find with alcohol and spiritual practice is that alcohol tends to make you lose a lot of your mental control. So if I try to meditate when I've had a glass or two of wine, my mind just tends to wander aimlessly and pointlessly, without discipline. Also, if I go into what I think of as a "communicative trance" (where I communicate with the Divine in whatever aspect), I have very strange, meaningless, weird visions that can be oddly confusing. So, for me, drinking just makes the meditation/trance process kind of pointless. I may as well just go to sleep and dream (non-lucidly; lucid dreaming is impossible when I've had alcohol, as far as I can tell).

Tom
19th October 2008, 04:33 AM
It really is unfortunate that as far as recreational mood enhancing substances go only alcohol and tobacco are really available. I'm sure that there are more life-enhacing possibilities out there with fewer harmful side effects.

Korpo
19th October 2008, 06:33 AM
wer,

if you feel bad about it, just go ahead and try to go without it. But you don't need to make this a hard rule. I personally find that spiritual practice and life changes have severely reduced my desire to drink alcohol, and I also don't enjoy the intoxicating effects much anymore. One of my favorite drinks now is actually a non-alcoholic beer that just tastes great and is a real refresher.

Oliver

ButterflyWoman
19th October 2008, 07:33 AM
It really is unfortunate that as far as recreational mood enhancing substances go only alcohol and tobacco are really available.
Don't forget caffeine. It's a pretty strong central nervous system stimulant.

iadnon
19th October 2008, 03:59 PM
Hi friends:

I live in Basque Country (Spain). Here, we have about 3 bars per street all along the territory. People are accustomed to drink large amount of alcoholic beverages, specially wine, which abounds here. That said, I'll tell you I had the same problem like you. Here it's quite complicated to mark the line that separates an alcoholic person and an non alcoholic one, because of the social acceptance of it.

That said, I did a little research about the phenomenon. It seems, or it is said, that alcohol and flesh make the astral particles of your body to be coarser and slower. That lowers your inner bodies' vibratory capacity, and so, you have less chances of moving your consciousness upwards. The more finer your inner body, the cleaner your physical body, the stronger your inner bodies. "Men sana in corpore sano" = your physical body has to be your soul's temple.

Apart of the previous words there are more factors. I thought, time ago, that I had to attain the purer state of physical body. You know, I went vegetarian (I'm still so), I gave up alcohol (even if I take some of it from time to time), I put apart parties and social events, and I even practiced fasting. All of that made me evolve in a very hard way. It was like turning around all your life. That was the hard way.

The problem was: everytime I failed in my schedule, I lost all my confidence and power. That's purity's main problem. When you feel yourself a tad filthy, it all blows up.

So, here they go my conclusions:
1.Have a good sense of humor.
2.Keep on practicing, even if you are in the worst conditions.
3.Have faith, confidence and a feeling of a goal to attain.
4.Practice exercises that will give you a clear result. You need to feel you're advancing to keep on in the path.
5.Experiment. I'm able to move energy and activate my chakras even if I have had 5 cups of wine (precisely I did it yesterday).
6.Write down your plannings, your thoughts...
7.And, please, for God's goodness, don't ever feel guilty.

Good luck!

Neil Templar
19th October 2008, 04:42 PM
i only allow myself to drink alcohol once a week nowadays.
i don't think i would actually want to give it up completely, not just because of the social aspect, i really do enjoy a good glass of Belgian beer or a single malt whiskey...mmm.. :D

Oliver, what is the name of the alcohol free beer you drink?..i'd be up for giving a non-alcoholic beer a try if it has a good taste.

CFTraveler
19th October 2008, 05:54 PM
I am one of those who quit drinking some time ago, not for social reasons, but for health reasons- alcohol acts as a poison in my body and I pay dearly if I drink. Having said that, last night I had one beer after spending the day painting in the sun. (Sun+sweat=dehydration+alcohol--------->Very very bad). As a result of this I was attacked + had one of those 'pulled out of my body' experiences that I dislike so much.
So my advice is: If it doesn't agree with your body, don't do it.

wer
19th October 2008, 07:52 PM
Apart of the previous words there are more factors. I thought, time ago, that I had to attain the purer state of physical body. You know, I went vegetarian (I'm still so), I gave up alcohol (even if I take some of it from time to time), I put apart parties and social events, and I even practiced fasting. All of that made me evolve in a very hard way. It was like turning around all your life. That was the hard way.

The problem was: everytime I failed in my schedule, I lost all my confidence and power. That's purity's main problem. When you feel yourself a tad filthy, it all blows up.

So, here they go my conclusions:
1.Have a good sense of humor.
2.Keep on practicing, even if you are in the worst conditions.
3.Have faith, confidence and a feeling of a goal to attain.
4.Practice exercises that will give you a clear result. You need to feel you're advancing to keep on in the path.
5.Experiment. I'm able to move energy and activate my chakras even if I have had 5 cups of wine (precisely I did it yesterday).
6.Write down your plannings, your thoughts...
7.And, please, for God's goodness, don't ever feel guilty.

Good luck!

I've notice that I'm the same way when it comes to following a schedule. I'm a very orderly person, so when I began my practice I wrote out a daily routine and everything. Over the past few weeks I have noticed that when I fail to meet everything on my schedule, my confidence is lost and I feel like I loose a lot of progress. This is all just a trick of the mind however. I feel the same way about alcohol (and the occasional herb). As long as I feel that it will throw me completely off balance, it will, not necessarily from the substance itself, but from my perception of the substance.

So I've decided that I am going to take a year away from everything, except for the occasional cup of coffee during the holidays, and see how I feel.

Thanks andonitxo, and everyone else, you have all been a great help.

Korpo
20th October 2008, 11:42 AM
Oliver, what is the name of the alcohol free beer you drink?..i'd be up for giving a non-alcoholic beer a try if it has a good taste.

"Ottakringer Null-Komma-Josef" (Meaning something like "Ottakring's Zero-point-John" ;) ). It is an Austrian major brewery, also sold in Bavaria due to Ottakringer brewery also owning Innstadt brewery of Passau. It has an excellent, refreshing taste. It's a good refresher when feeling parched. Being alcohol-free it actually hydrates you.

Oliver

Fish
20th October 2008, 12:13 PM
I wish I could give up drinking. I'm sure I'd make real progress then.

Tom
20th October 2008, 03:09 PM

Seriously?

Try looking up articles online about using niacin in large doses to control alcohol cravings. It turns out to be very effective. The important thing is to want to stop drinking.

Neil Templar
20th October 2008, 03:42 PM

i'm not sure you need to give up completely, as in all things, it's about balance.
but you're on the right track already - you're sure you'd make real progress without alcohol in your life.
if drinking means you don't practice as much as you'd like to, then it comes down to asking yourself what is more important to you right now.

after work, i'm always tempted by the "staff drink" i'm entitled to. so i ask myself, do i want to meditate tonight? or remember my dreams?..
if the answer's yes, then i have a chocolate milk instead of a beer.
i do get some strange look sitting on the terrace with a pint of brown liquid in my hand! :lol:

but if i do give in and have one or two, i don't make myself feel guilty about it. it just means there won't be any meditation that night. no big deal.

CFTraveler
20th October 2008, 06:02 PM
When I used to go to the bar with my coworkers I used to have a 'virgin' Strawberry daiquiri and no one would notice. But I do like that beer, non alcholic if possible. But one beer in normal circumstances doesn't hurt me if it's not often.

Fish
20th October 2008, 07:03 PM

Seriously?

Try looking up articles online about using niacin in large doses to control alcohol cravings. It turns out to be very effective. The important thing is to want to stop drinking.

Thank you for that! I will look into it 8)

Fish
20th October 2008, 07:12 PM
i'm not sure you need to give up completely, as in all things, it's about balance.
but you're on the right track already - you're sure you'd make real progress without alcohol in your life.
if drinking means you don't practice as much as you'd like to, then it comes down to asking yourself what is more important to you right now.

after work, i'm always tempted by the "staff drink" i'm entitled to. so i ask myself, do i want to meditate tonight? or remember my dreams?..
if the answer's yes, then i have a chocolate milk instead of a beer.
i do get some strange look sitting on the terrace with a pint of brown liquid in my hand! :lol:

but if i do give in and have one or two, i don't make myself feel guilty about it. it just means there won't be any meditation that night. no big deal.

I was doing well with the “do you want to make progress tonight” and not indulging and it was working well. I am conscious of it and I’m not making myself guilty about it too awful much anyway, I’m in a rut right now I guess. I will get through it, thank you for the info that makes me feel better. My problem is that I like it too much and it’s going to take me a while.

So the next time I post 3 OBEs in a row you’ll know I’m getting there :)

Thanks 8)

amazingjourney
21st October 2008, 04:31 PM
What about garlic and onion? I always wonder why monks can't include these in their diet as vegetarians.

Fish
21st October 2008, 05:17 PM
I thought that just keeps vampires away?

Neil Templar
21st October 2008, 05:34 PM
and potential girlfriends :lol:

Ouroboros
21st October 2008, 06:20 PM
and potential girlfriends :lol:

:lol: :lol:

In all seriousness though, I do find myself in a somewhat similar situation. I know how I feel about my personal situation, it's just a matter of dealing with the effort involved in correcting the behavior. What I find amazing is that I've figured out that it winds up increasing my stress level instead of truly relaxing me (due to anxiety)...but I still have trouble stopping. o.O How's that for logic? :P

Tom
21st October 2008, 06:27 PM
What about garlic and onion? I always wonder why monks can't include these in their diet as vegetarians.

There are three categories of food in yoga.

Three gunas: The three aspects or elements (gunas) of prakriti (the subtlest primordial matter or primary constituent) are rajas, sattvas, and tamas:

Sattvas: The aspect of the subtlest primordial matter (prakriti), which has the nature of existence, light, illumination, sentience, harmony, or clearing.

Rajas: The aspect of prakriti, which has the nature of activity, motion, energy, movement, or changing.

Tamas: The aspect of prakriti, which has the nature of stability, stasis, darkness, dullness, heaviness, insentience, obstructing, and veiling.

Gunas are at all levels, including the subtlest: The principle of the three gunas operate at all levels. For example, one might eat sattvic (light) food, rajasic (spicy) food, or tamasic (heavy) food, which will lead to a sattvic (clear) state of mind, a rajasic (restless) state of mind, or a tamasic (lethargic) state of mind. However, this sutra (4.13) relates mostly to the subtlest operation of the three gunas, which is to say that the subtlest, subconscious impressions are all entirely constituted of only these three gunas.

Garlic and onion are rajasic and can lead to scattered thoughts. Of course, it depends on how seriously you want to take this. It is a fairly subtle effect.