PDA

View Full Version : What do you read at the moment?

Korpo
2nd November 2008, 09:42 AM
I moved it to Movies and Books.

I started to peek into "The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha".
I read some pages of Yogananda's "Autobiography of a Yogi" every day.
I am expecting Kurt Leland's "The Unanswered Question - Death, Near-Death and the Afterlife" and "Music and the Soul: A Listener's Guide to Achieving Transcendent Musical Experiences", and started reading them both on Amazon's "Search Inside" already.

I am really curious about the last one. I didn't expect to find such a book, but I think it is important. I find all his writings very intriguing, but the topic of using music for spiritual purposes is even doubly so. :D

Oliver

ButterflyWoman
2nd November 2008, 10:19 AM
I'm re-reading "Miracle Prayer" by Susan Shumsky.

Jaco
2nd November 2008, 10:58 AM
"God delusion" by Richard Dawkings
"Principia Discordia"

2nd November 2008, 11:47 AM
Im re-reading my "Dune" collection, I love sci-fi epics... sorry it's not very highbrow :roll:

ButterflyWoman
2nd November 2008, 01:35 PM
Im re-reading my "Dune" collection, I love sci-fi epics... sorry it's not very highbrow :roll:
Don't worry. If I'd answered this last week, it would have been "Making Money" by Terry Pratchett. :)

Korpo
2nd November 2008, 01:41 PM
Don't worry. If I'd answered this last week, it would have been "Making Money" by Terry Pratchett. :)

I re-read the Dune collection earlier this year. It is very finely crafted literature. :)

"Making Money" was disappointing. I loved its predecessor, "Going Postal", but "Making Money" was too - convoluted? Hope you like it better. Maybe I reread it with less expectations - I liked "Jingo" much better when I reread it, too.

Oliver

ButterflyWoman
2nd November 2008, 01:58 PM
"Making Money" was disappointing. I loved its predecessor, "Going Postal", but "Making Money" was too - convoluted? Hope you like it better. Maybe I reread it with less expectations - I liked "Jingo" much better when I reread it, too.
I've read the entire Discworld series, many of them more than once. I faithfully read whatever the new book is, and I generally enjoy them. I liked this one well enough, though it's not my favourite. I was very intrigued by the interesting picture it paints of Vetinari, though, and his relationship with Moist von Lipwig (and I do love that name ;)).

My favourites are the ones with Granny Weatherwax, though I'm more the Nanny Ogg type... ;)

Korpo
2nd November 2008, 02:03 PM
I prefer the Commander Vimes books. They also have a lot of Vetinari in it. I love it when he teases the werewolves with "Vet...inari" in "The Fifth Elefant". I reread them a lot. I like the Weatherwax ones, including the Tiffany books, and the only ones I don't reread are the Rincewind ones - with the sole exception of "Interesting Times".

Oliver

ButterflyWoman
2nd November 2008, 03:00 PM
I don't reread are the Rincewind ones - with the sole exception of "Interesting Times".
I'm not a fan of Rincewind, but I do like the staff of Unseen University. Having spent a lot of time around academics, I can relate. ;) The only Rincewind one I've read more than once is the one set in Fourex, the country that is definitely not Australia not even a little bit. I love that a platypus is a duck designed by a committee of academics and that Rincewind accidentally invented Vegemite by trying to make beer soup when he was really drunk...

Neil Templar
2nd November 2008, 03:07 PM
I just started Jeremy Narby - "THE COSMIC SERPENT - DNA and the Origins of Knowledge.
every day i read a little of THE BOOK OF CHUANG TZU.
i'm halfway through Tudor Parfitt's THE LOST ARK OF THE COVENANT
and also Tolkien's THE CHILDREN OF HURIN.

Korpo
2nd November 2008, 04:15 PM
The only Rincewind one I've read more than once is the one set in Fourex, the country that is definitely not Australia not even a little bit.

Man, I reread that one and didn't like it on second time, either... ;)

The only cool thing about it was the staff on Unseen U getting lost in the past. :)

Oliver

Palehorse Redivivus
2nd November 2008, 05:23 PM
Poking through the local library a few days ago I grabbed The Element Encyclopedia of Secret Signs and Symbols. It's more a reference book than something I'll read straight through, but with all the thinking and experimentation I've been doing with symbols, archetypes and such, when I saw it I immediately went "Ooooooh!" :P

I also pulled out Astral Dynamics and have been jumping around in it a bit, too.

ButterflyWoman
2nd November 2008, 05:23 PM
Man, I reread that one and didn't like it on second time, either... ;)
Might be funnier if you're Australian. There are a lot of Australian jokes in it. ;)

Korpo
2nd November 2008, 06:42 PM
I thought those were too cliche... :shock:

Oliver

Ouroboros
3rd November 2008, 03:56 AM
Let's see, I've been jumping between "Mastering Astral Projection," "Energy Work," and "Initiation Into Hermetics." I was reading "Game of Thrones," and I want to read "American Gods." I started that one but only really had time for a chapter or two before my roommate took it back ;).

velvet
3rd November 2008, 05:44 AM
The Gift of Fear by Gavin De Becker

So far interesting, pretty much it gives examples and scenarios on why you should follow you intuition.

Fish
3rd November 2008, 12:56 PM
The Mystical Qaballah by Dion Fortune currently. I'm almost finished it and I'm sure I will need to re-read it another 15 times before it all completely sinks in :)

The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx is up next

CFTraveler
3rd November 2008, 02:57 PM
IIH by Franz Bardon, The Twelve Powers of Man by Charles and Cora Fillmore, and The Path by Whitley Strieber.
I need to get some 'fun' reading material.

Mishell
3rd November 2008, 08:07 PM
The Instruction by Ainslie MacLeod

DAN
5th November 2008, 12:49 AM
I can't get enough of Dean Koontz. Velocity has been the best so far followed by Fear Nothing :)

Palehorse Redivivus
5th November 2008, 03:17 AM

Gehenna tells me I do too. The vast majority of what I read is informational or practical development type stuff... I'm just no fun. :P

Korpo
5th November 2008, 07:43 AM

Gehenna tells me I do too. The vast majority of what I read is informational or practical development type stuff... I'm just no fun. :P

Well, as a kid I used to read 1,000 pagers about the history of the Italian city states in the Renaissance, the colonial history of England or the WW2. If I was not reading a comic book, it was usually a brick out of the history department. :)

Oliver

CFTraveler
5th November 2008, 01:58 PM
Well, as a kid I used to read 1,000 pagers about the history of the Italian city states in the Renaissance, the colonial history of England or the WW2. If I was not reading a comic book, it was usually a brick out of the history department. :)

Oliver Hee hee I used to have a kid's encyclopedia about greek mythology that was in the outside wall of the bathroom in a tiny bookcase. It was my bathroom reading material. :)
I was way more cultured at 12 than I am now. Nowadays I get my mythology from watching Billy and Mandy cartoons.

Palehorse Redivivus
5th November 2008, 06:09 PM

Hah, that's awesome... I used to read the encyclopedia a lot as a kid. I also got in trouble a lot in elementary school for reading when I wasn't supposed to be. :oops:

Epic geekery FTW! :D

Mishell
6th November 2008, 02:08 AM
I can't get enough of Dean Koontz. Velocity has been the best so far followed by Fear Nothing :)

From the Corner of His Eye is by far my favorite, followed by Twilight Eyes and Watchers.

I'm a big Dean Koontz fan! :D

Mishell
6th November 2008, 02:14 AM
I used to read the encyclopedia a lot as a kid. Epic geekery FTW! :D

I think I may have you beat. When I was a kid I used to read the dictionary.

I have always been fascinated with words. In English anyway, I have no passion for German.

AmbientSound
16th January 2009, 10:55 PM
I'm (sporadically) reading Relaxing into your Being, by Kumar Frantzis. He is one of the first Westerners to be taught qi gong by a Taoist Immortal. The book has exercises for the Taoist water method of meditation. So far I like what I have read and the exercises are great for stilling the mind and increasing awareness. I also have volume 2 of the series, The Great Stillness. I actually bought the 2nd volume first but wanted to read the first volume before starting the 2nd. I'm also in the middle of Crack in the Cosmic Egg by Joseph Pearce, which is a few decades old but worth a read. It's about how we write the rules of our own reality. Very interesting.

Korpo
18th January 2009, 08:22 AM
AmbientSound - these are good books. Interestingly enough theosophy and this school of Daoism seem to have similar ideas about the energy bodies. I read his books first, though, and only starting to touch upon theosophy.

ATM I am reading a Seth book - "The Nature of Personal Reality". It's about beliefs and belief systems and how they create the reality we are experiencing. So far it's good, but hard to read. I also have "The Nature of the Psyche" by Seth waiting to be read, too.

Oliver

Mishell
18th January 2009, 08:52 AM
I also have "The Nature of the Psyche" by Seth waiting to be read, too.

Oliver

It's hardly waiting; :wink: it's letting me read it. :mrgreen:

I like the information Seth gives on dreams.

Korpo
18th January 2009, 09:28 AM
It's hardly waiting; :wink: it's letting me read it. :mrgreen:

It told me something else! I think this book is playing us off against each other! Sneaky! :shock:

Oliver

alwayson4
18th January 2009, 05:25 PM
Approaching the Great Perfection by Sam van Schaik

ariesr
18th January 2009, 05:36 PM
Reading:

Spiritual Warfare - Jed McKenna
Adrenal Fatigue - James L Wilson
Edgar Cayce - Colon Care

jasis
26th January 2009, 04:32 AM
Narco-ing an old thread... :shock:

I'm re-reading the "Tibetan Book of Living and Dying" by Sogyal Rinpoche , re-reading "Astral Dynamics" by Robert Bruce and "Far Journeys" by Robert Monroe. Castenda is always lurking though the copies are so well-thumbed as to be nearly falling apart :lol:

Webwise a whole mishmash, recently reading "Splinter in the Mind" by Bronte Baxter and a bunch of NWO stuff.

Phew, almost no time for work :wink:

In Light
Jasis

Fish
26th January 2009, 12:53 PM
The Magick of Reiki by Christopher Penczak

CFTraveler
26th January 2009, 02:19 PM
I just got done with a murder mystery "The Witch Hunt" and now I'm starting with "The Unanswered Question".

jasis
26th January 2009, 03:22 PM

I love Sci-Fi too :) I'm a big fan of Ian M banks - his books describing the "Culture" - a pan-species, pan-galactic society in the far future, assisted by intelligent machines whose AI cores exists in hyperspace... :shock: WOW, gotta re-read some of that :mrgreen:

Timotheus
27th January 2009, 07:19 AM
:D

Beekeeper
27th January 2009, 10:07 AM
Dipping in some yoga books from the library; The Ultramind Solution by Mark Hyman- http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=cd-jelcz6vg - and Seth speaks the Eternal Validity of the Soul by Jane Roberts.

Since the Australian dollar has dropped I've discovered the joy of second hand books from Better World Books.

Mystikal
8th February 2009, 07:41 AM
Calculus: Single and Multivariate, by Hughes-Hallett, Gleason, McCallum, et al.

Why? Because my brother had bought this textbook for his classes, didn't need it anymore and was willing to loan it to me, and I thought it looked like fun. It's been decently enlightening so far! :)

ButterflyWoman
8th February 2009, 07:55 AM
"Professional Dreamer: 6 Simple Steps That Turn Dreams Into Reality" by Ghalil

Good book. I recommend it to anyone who is interested in learning how to effectively and routinely alter their own reality and/or manifest their desires into reality.

VioletImagery
8th February 2009, 04:30 PM
Reading We Want to Live by Aajonus Vonderplanitz (a personal story combined with a very un-politically correct diet book, recommended by the channeled entity Hilarion, although he had nothing to do with writing it. All in all, very strange and interesting.)

Re-reading Creative Visualization by Shakti Gawain (I haven't read The Secret, so I can't compare them, although I think the idea is more or less the same. I like Shakti's writing because she always explains things so simply and patiently. I have read pretty much all her books.)

MysticSage816
9th February 2009, 06:31 AM
Recently, I've been reading the Recluse series by L. E. Modesitt, Jr. and the Codex Alera by Jim Butcher. I'm a fantasy novel nut, I admit it :oops:

James