PDA

View Full Version : Would this be an inefficient practice?

Ouroboros
13th November 2008, 05:40 AM
I'm going to once again try to start a regular meditation practice because I feel it's absolutely necessary to furthering my spiritual evolution. Philosophizing will only get me so far ;) (and realization is hard to derive from philosophical extrapolation).

So, here's what I'm thinking. My schedule SUCKS as far as having time allowed to do anything. One of my biggest problems is the few time slots I have open are hard to put spiritual practices into, because I'm always feeling rushed and it impedes what I'm trying to do. Additionally, there's almost always something distracting going on (and will be until I get my own room, which will HOPEFULLY be happening sometime in the next two months). To combat these things, I'm going to set my meditation time for when I get home from work. Since I have very few quiet or private refuges, when I get home I'm going to run a nice warm bath, get comfortable, and do my meditating while soaking in a nice warm tub. Keeping in mind that I usually get home at around 12:45 am, does this seem like a decent plan given the circumstances? Also; how important is it to keep your back straight while meditating?

Korpo
13th November 2008, 05:59 AM
I meditate while in the tub, too. It is very good and relaxing, works like a charm. But - and my wife tells me every time without fail ;) - this also makes falling asleep much more likely. So keep an eye out for drowning (even though in my family we had tub naps without any problems *shrug*). There is surely a higher risk of falling asleep and sleeping to deeply in the middle of the night after a long day.

Take good care,
Oliver

Tom
13th November 2008, 06:17 AM
Think beta and gamma. Think binaurals and isochronics. Think using MP3 files looped while you go about your daily activities. Better yet, add subliminals, too.

Ouroboros
14th November 2008, 01:16 AM
Think beta and gamma. Think binaurals and isochronics. Think using MP3 files looped while you go about your daily activities. Better yet, add subliminals, too.

I have to admit I have a fear of anything involving subliminal messaging. I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea of allowing someone else access to my subconscious, be it through hypnosis or sound files or what have you. I still have a lot of trust issues, and I'm not sure I'd willingly give anyone anywhere that kind of access. This is actually one of the reasons (aside from cost) I haven't gotten the Hemisync CD's, although from what I understand Hemisync isn't really subliminal messaging and my fears in that particular case are likely irrational. That and the perhaps also irrational fear of creating a crutch situation in which reaching altered states of consciousness without the use of aids becomes difficult/impossible due to a developed dependency.

Although, I suppose I could just ask. :P CAN I create blocks/difficulties to achieving altered states if I start out by using something like Hemisync? I'd like to eventually reach the point where I can induce trance states with minimal time/effort to allow for maximum in-trance time. And while I assume I'd get to experience altered states much quicker using an aid, I wouldn't necessarily want to pay the price of greater difficulties down the line (should this be the case).

I'm not familiar with what gamma states involve...I'll have to google it. Had to google isochronics as well, that's a term I haven't heard before.

Tom
14th November 2008, 01:43 AM
It works better if you make your own subliminals, in your own voice.

Korpo
14th November 2008, 05:50 AM
My experience with HemiSync is, and this is what the TMI tapes encourage you to do, is that you learn to do without the tapes. I can induce the right trance state without them once I trained it with them. Hence the term "brain entrainment". It is about remembering feelings and conditions, also helped along by the right "cue" you are given with each exercise.

The Monroe tapes do not contain subliminals, and like with all self hypnosis you are mentally present when it happens. The only tape that really contains "unconscious" subliminals is the one where you are sent to sleep and then receive messages, but you can overcome that and listen to the messages, too. Nothing hidden here. Besides, self hypnosis programming requires repetition to be effective, so you can review any self hypnosis tape without too much risk before using it.

TMI "Human Plus" tapes can be very helpful which contain hypnotic programming to learn a certain skill that is usually dormant within the average guy (like recalling something on cue, regulating blood pressure, etc.). And the intros to how to do Focus 10, 12 and 15 are very helpful. I think there is a "MindFood" tape out there that has all three on one tape, but it is a bit tricky to find out about it (the real content is in the detail description of this single tape). Every "Human Plus" tape contains also a full intro to inducing Focus 10 at will - presumably the alpha state. So for maybe 30 or 40 bucks you can learn the key skills in the Monroe basic program without doing the full "Gateway Experience" which costs hundreds of bucks.

Centerpointe (Holosync) on the other hand records subliminal messages that are really subliminal on the later tapes if you go deeper with their program, but they are your self-formulated affirmations in your own voice, merged into the track.

Oliver

Tom
14th November 2008, 09:00 AM
My point is that entrainment to beta (13-40 Hz) and gamma (40+ Hz) is consistent with going about your daily activities, so you can do it for hours at a time, every day. I do it at work, combined with subliminals. I consider it a success when people around me notice that something has changed.

Ouroboros
14th November 2008, 09:47 PM
Cool, thank you both! I think I may look into picking up some of the Monroe Tapes then. Given your description of it Korpo, I think it's definitely gonna be a worthwhile thing to try out.