PDA

View Full Version : Question for the metalheads

Ouroboros
14th November 2008, 01:33 AM
I like Iced Earth, but the only album I have is Horror Show. In your opinion, what Iced Earth albums are the best?

Fish
14th November 2008, 12:35 PM
Horror show is great.

I'd recommend:
Burnt Offerings - Dante's Inferno is brilliant!
Something Wicked This Way Comes
Alive in Athens - GREAT live album

I also really like the Days of Purgatory album. It's songs that were remade with Matt Barlow on vocals from when the band was called Purgatory.

Their newest one I just couldn't bear to listen through the second time. Maybe it's just me.

That should fix you up for a while :)

Palehorse Redivivus
14th November 2008, 08:35 PM
IE actually used to be my favorite band, so this'll be fun. :P I'd rank their albums in this order:

Something Wicked This Way Comes -- Most all around solid album IMO.

Burnt Offerings -- the first I heard, and still a fav. Dark and angry, and Dante's Inferno is a masterpiece. Depending on my mood at the time it may trade off the #1 spot.

Night of the Stormrider -- If it had Barlow on vox it would be #1; musically it's brilliant. Unfortunately the singer is irritating IMO; no range, and adds no feeling to the songs or the story the album is based on.

Horror Show -- Among my favorite of their later stuff; not much to dislike about it, and not much more to say. Which I guess is okay if you have it already. :P

Dark Saga -- Based on the Spawn comics. Solid album, shorter and simpler songs on average than most of their others tho. A Question of Heaven is one of my favs.

Crucible of Man -- The second installment in the Set Abominae storyline. Barlow back on vox (yay!) which is great, as he's great at driving the story with his delivery, but there isn't as much that stands out musically compared to the first one. "Come What May" is one that I use to kick my ass back into shape when I hit a slump, tho.

Framing Armageddon -- The first one. A good album, but IMO didn't stand up to the hype that Jon Schaffer has been building up behind the Set Abominae concept albums for like ten years. Suffered for not having Barlow (though apparently they're gonna rerelease it with rerecorded vox). Has some pretty solid individual songs though IMO.

The Glorious Burden -- In theory I like the idea of basing songs on historical stuff; in practice I don't think it was executed well. I also find a lot of the pro-war sentiment and gung-ho-rawr-nationalism on this one to be a bit creepy. It has its moments tho I suppose.

Iced Earth -- Pretty decent first album, and may be more enjoyable with you being into black metal. I find their first singer even more irritating than their second, tho; I think he sounds like the wicked witch of the west. :P

I'd put things like Alive in Athens and Days of Purgatory in a separate category... but AIA is one of my all time favorite live albums, and DoP is great for having a lot of the older stuff redone with better production quality and vocals.

Also: Dark Genesis, which is the first three albums, the Enter the Realm demo and a tribute CD, may be a better value for the cash than buying the first three separately.

Thus concludes Palehorse's Official Guide to Iced Earth. :P

Ouroboros
14th November 2008, 09:36 PM
Hehe, awesome! Thanks, both of you! That was a great rundown of the discography, Palehorse!

15th November 2008, 10:48 AM
Slightly O/T but I found IE's "Vengeance is mine" really useful for raising the energy to kill an enormous critter that came in with the plumber to our house the other day.

Fish
18th November 2008, 12:52 PM
That’s cool Palehorse. IE used to be one of my favs as well. I saw them on the GB tour with Ripper. Pretty good show, but the place is a complete #@&%hole and the sound wasn’t in the least favorable. Needless to say I’d never see a band play there ever again. It’s a shame Schaffer has always switched around singers/bandmates. I wasn’t big on the earlier stuff of theirs for the reason that it sounds very lame vocal-wise, but yeah I agree completely about the musicianship on those earlier releases. Probably why I dig the DOP remakes of that early stuff.

Hey Oro you may also want to check out Demons & Wizards, it’s a side project with Jon Schaffer and Hansi Kursch (Blind Guardian singer) the first album I like a lot, had a hard time getting it out of my player when I first got it.

PH do you have any recommendations of some metal similar to IE/BG/DW? Nothing too mellow tho, some BG I can hardly stand because of that :lol:

Palehorse Redivivus
18th November 2008, 04:23 PM
I got to see IE on the Horror Show tour, and more recently here when they opened for Sabbath. After the first one I waited around and got to meet Schaffer and Richard Christy... funny story there but I'll save it for when I have more time. :P

Morgana Lefay comes to mind for being roughly in the same territory as IE as far as a healthy mix of heavy and epic, with some death metal influence thrown in. They're known for kicking your ass with heavy and then shifting into a totally melodic catchy chorus, lol. Also: they've gone from Lefay to Morgana Lefay at various times for legal reasons, so parts of their catalog can be found under both names. I'll link to myspace pages where you can hear a few songs...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=15132678 (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=15132678)

I'd also recommend Symphony X, which is more prog/classical influenced, but still plenty heavy. Russell Allen has a similar range and approach as Barlow as far as doing everything from the angry growl to the falsetto wail, though his low end isn't quite as strong. They've got Dante's Inferno beat for song length; The Odyssey is 24 minutes long. :P I think a lot of people here could get into their lyrical content; they've done a lot of stuff on things like Atlantis, Cayce, Nostradamus and the Law of One. Their newest, Paradise Lost is darker and angrier than most of their other stuff. They're also a good band if you like guys named Michael; they've got three of 'em. o_O Heh.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=54655229 (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=54655229)

Probably more later...

Fish
18th November 2008, 04:29 PM
I got to see IE on the Horror Show tour, and more recently here when they opened for Sabbath. After the first one I waited around and got to meet Schaffer and Richard Christy... funny story there but I'll save it for when I have more time. :P

Sounds like an interesting story I’d love to hear it!

Morgana Lefay comes to mind for being roughly in the same territory as IE as far as a healthy mix of heavy and epic, with some death metal influence thrown in. They're known for kicking your ass with heavy and then shifting into a totally melodic catchy chorus, lol. Also: they've gone from Lefay to Morgana Lefay at various times for legal reasons, so parts of their catalog can be found under both names. I'll link to myspace pages where you can hear a few songs...

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=15132678 (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=15132678)

[quote="Palehorse Redivivus":15ykjlw5] I'd also recommend Symphony X, which is more prog/classical influenced, but still plenty heavy. Russell Allen has a similar range and approach as Barlow as far as doing everything from the angry growl to the falsetto wail, though his low end isn't quite as strong. They've got Dante's Inferno beat for song length; The Odyssey is 24 minutes long. :P I think a lot of people here could get into their lyrical content; they've done a lot of stuff on things like Atlantis, Cayce, Nostradamus and the Law of One. Their newest, Paradise Lost is darker and angrier than most of their other stuff. They're also a good band if you like guys named Michael; they've got three of 'em. o_O Heh.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=54655229 (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=54655229)

Probably more later... [/quote:15ykjlw5]

Thanks! I will check them out!
8)

Palehorse Redivivus
18th November 2008, 07:36 PM
Actually I remembered two funny stories, lol... gather 'round and I shall tell you a tale. :mrgreen:

First one, my then-girlfriend and I were on the way to the show, and saw a guy walking down the street a few blocks away from the venue... wearing pants emblazoned with the IE logo in huge letters down the leg. So naturally we were heckling him amongst ourselves. :P "Geez buddy, I'm as big a fan as the next guy but that's a little over the top... y'think he's wearing IE undies too?" So we got there pretty early and were sitting around by a fence that led to the backstage / tourbus area... when the same guy passed by and said hi on his way in. At which point we realized... holy crap, it's James MacDonough (then-bassplayer). Oops. *shakes head*

The other one... okay, so I had a long time online friend who once did a late night metal show for a college radio station in Chicago. He'd always bug me to call in, but since it was like 3am for me, the only phone available at the time was corded and I didn't want to wake up the rest of the house, I didn't. This led to a running on-air joke about his friend in CA who didn't understand the intricate workings of a telephone, and thus needed a dialing monkey to help me call in. Thanks, dude. :P

When he'd go to shows, he'd usually try to hang around, meet the band and get them to record promos for him. Knowing how huge of an IE fan I was at the time, when he saw them, he had Schaffer record one that was something like "this is Jon Schaffer from Iced Earth. Y'know, someone named Jon who understands the intricate workings of a telephone. You're listening to the sound and the fury; call in now..." etc. Thanks x2. :P

As epic as that was, the story doesn't end there. He mailed me the paper he had Schaffer read from, and demanded that when I saw them, I had to bring it, tell Schaffer who I was and get a pic holding it up. Always perfectly willing to make an arse of myself, I did exactly that, Schaffer actually remembered the whole thing even though it was a few weeks between shows, and epic lulz were had by all. :lol:

Fish
18th November 2008, 08:26 PM
Oh man that’s monumental right there! :lol: :lol: Thanks for sharing those!!