PDA

View Full Version : Happy Summer Solstice

ButterflyWoman
21st December 2008, 06:50 AM
Right. It's summer solstice today here in the southern hemisphere. I realise that for those of you in the northern hemisphere (where it's the middle of winter, or will be when you catch up to those of us on the fashionable side of the international dateline) it's the winter solstice (merry yule!), but here, it is most definitely SUMMER.

To celebrate, I've been working in the garden. Not a great plan on a hot day, but still. Planting things seems a fitting way to give thanks for the season. ;)

SlashRick
21st December 2008, 02:35 PM
thank you for reminding us up here in the frozen tundra region that there still is hope that some day, some how, the sun will come out again, and we will be able to go outside and play in the dirt again some day. right now, all my dirt is frozen solid.

it's 18 F here today, with a cold cold gusty wind blowing.

brrrrrr.

/rick

SlashRick
22nd December 2008, 12:19 AM
quick update
it is currently seven degrees farenheight,,,, yes, 7F
with 35 mile per hour winds.
cold enought that a cup of coffee left outside will be frozen solid in less than one hour.

it's too cold to breathe.

/rick

ButterflyWoman
22nd December 2008, 05:12 AM
Ah, that's what the Yule is for. You get an evergreen tree and hang fruit on it (gilded fruit, for example) and then you have a party around it and then you chop it up and throw it in the fireplace. That assures that the days will, indeed, get longer.

;)

Ouroboros
22nd December 2008, 05:53 AM
Hmmm...hang fruit, huh?

Knowing me I'd start hanging all sorts of tropical fruits on it...like pineapples and bananas.

ButterflyWoman
22nd December 2008, 07:01 AM
Uhm, Alex, it's still called a solstice. That's an astronomical term. It has to do with the position of the earth in relation to the sun.... The word "sol" is the Latin for "sun", in fact.

I'm just saying. ;)

ButterflyWoman
22nd December 2008, 07:02 AM
Hmmm...hang fruit, huh?

Knowing me I'd start hanging all sorts of tropical fruits on it...like pineapples and bananas.
No worries. You can go to the store and buy these pretty little glass trinkets that pass nicely for fruit. Most people don't throw their Yule tree in the fire any more, but some do. Good thing, too, or the days would never get longer! :P

SlashRick
22nd December 2008, 01:30 PM
help us please.
we are running out of F's.
we only had 5 of them this morning.

ugha

i think i may just have to set my living room on fire tonight.
/rick

ButterflyWoman
22nd December 2008, 01:46 PM
help us please.
we are running out of F's.
we only had 5 of them this morning.
Good thing you're not using C's. Five Fs is negative C's.

i think i may just have to set my living room on fire tonight.
You just need a fireplace and a big old Yule log. ;)

Korpo
22nd December 2008, 02:04 PM
Good thing you're not using C's. Five Fs is negative C's.

There's always Ks to fall back to. It be a cold day when you run out of those. ;)

Oliver

SlashRick
22nd December 2008, 05:14 PM
gots the fireplace.
gots plenty of split firewood, but it's mostly oak, and some pine. no yule.
:(
/rick

Beekeeper
24th December 2008, 01:11 AM
Merry Christmas, and remember to mind those Cs and Fs or else Saint Nicholas will leave you a lump of coal.

Saint Nic, btw, may have been a Siberian shaman.

SlashRick
25th December 2008, 12:53 AM
...turn on the Traditional Pagan Festival of the Winter Solstice please....

dude! what channel is that on????????????

cause i'm getting horribly tired of watching 'what is my house worth'.......

/rick

Sparkwielder
25th December 2008, 01:54 PM
Happy Solstice, Merry Christmas, happy New year!

SlashRick
30th December 2008, 01:13 PM
after initially appearing that it was just going to be 'yet another year of the same old stuff',,,,

WOW

it's going to take me WEEKS to get this stuff all written out and posted somewhere.

in fact, i'm not sure all the dust has settled yet.

for now, i'll just say,

it's all good.

and, i'm perty sure i'm not the same person i was on dec 15'th.

thankfully!

/rick

Fish
31st December 2008, 12:33 PM
Me too!

SlashRick
31st December 2008, 01:29 PM
ok. but just a quick overview.
in fact, probably a quick overview will be enough for most to understand.

over the last 40 years i have struggled to 'balance' what i KNOW with what i 'EXPECTED'.

what i EXPECTED was that the KJV Bible represented REALITY.
but what i KNEW (AP, OBE, Channeling, TK, SpiritGuides, AkashicRecords, EnergyManipulation, Aura's, Reincarnation, Ghosts, Healing thru Energy Manipulation, etc)
was at horrible odds with what i EXPECTED. or at least, what i 'Believed' i 'expected'...
and what i EXPECTED was at odds with every single 'church' i had ever been to.

until about 1997. when i stumbled upon a guy, running a show on Shortwave.
i was SOO hungry to make it all work together, that i perty much 'bought it' hook, line, and sinker.
because instead of having do 'deny' a 500 lb bucket of 'stuff', i only had to 'deny' about a 5 lb bucket of 'stuff'.
i was overjoyed.

for a while.

but still carrying around a 5lb bucket of things i had to 'deny' wasn't acceptable.

life happened. and in fact, it probably was for the best, that i was where i was when my son died in 2000.

then, come along 2007, and i'm not satisfied any more. the 5lb bucket had grown once again to abou 50 lbs.

so, in the beginning of 2008, i 'determined' to once again, get it all figured out, by the end of the year.

on dec 19. i had figured,,, well. failed again. (failed to meet one of my own expectations)....

then. a couple of days later. along comes someone who did me a WONDERFULL service.
he dropped a Reiki Atunement on me.

and everything changed.

in a matter of a couple of days, not only did i realize that it was my EXPECTATION that the KJV Bible
represented REALITY that was the problem, but i realized that it went even deeper than that...

because once i began to QUESTION the validity of ANY 'religion' is when i made great progress!!!

all this time, 40 years, and many 'start over's, i i FINALLY broke down the last BELIEF....

you see, i do NOT have any desire to BELIEVE something. it's just not who I AM.

for me. BELIEF is BAD. why? well, lets see, if i base my ability to function in life, in what i BELIEVE, then,
what happens when i am forced to step to the edge, or even outside that BELIEF.

example:
my car. i KNOW what it's capabilities are. acceleration, braking, turning, etc. if i did not KNOW what it's capabilities are,,,
then i am probably going to be surprised by them one day, ending up upside down and on fire. NOT GOOD.
however, if i KNOW what it's capabilities are, under just about every possible driving condition, then it's not going
to end me upside down and on fire.

if i KNOW something, i can WORK with it.
if i BELIEVE something, i CAN NOT and WILL NOT stake MY LIFE, or ANYBODY ELSE's life on it.
and if i CAN NOT stake my LIFE on it, it is USELESS AND DANGEROUS to me.

it wasn't my BELIEF in the Bible that was the problem, because i did not BELIEVE in it. i TRIED to KNOW it.
the problem was, what i was soooo determined to KNOW, could not be KNOWN, because it wasn't what i BELIEVED it was.

once i SAW that.... OMG!!!!!
it was SOOOO OBVIOUS.

and sooo cleansing!

so, i've spent the last week 'cleaning house'.
the WEIGHT that has come off my shoulders is incredible!!!

i no longer am measuring myself with a flawed scale.

there is another thread running around here, discussing 'love of self' and what that means.

well i know now, what it DOES NOT MEAN.
it does NOT mean 'measuring your self with a flawed scale'!!!!!

currenly, i am 'investigating' my 'need' for participation in ANY religion at all!
yeah, i gots a long way to go.
but at least, THIS TIME. my starting point isn't already on Fail Blvd.

happy new year to all!

/rick

SlashRick
31st December 2008, 01:40 PM
oh, one more quick note before i dive fully into the new day.

the biggest single thing that i was BELIEVING, but though i KNEW,
was that i was supposed to be the 'spiritual leader' of my household.

THAT
ABOVE ANY OTHER single thing,
was what was KILLING ME.

it wasn't about any specific or even GENERAL theological concept.
it was that somehow, i had managed to CONVINCE MYSELF that
I was supposed to be, and somehow RESPONSIBLE FOR the 'spiritual achievement' of my Wife, and my Children.

how's THAT for some PRESSURE!!!!

phew

/rick

Fish
31st December 2008, 01:41 PM
That’s a huge step forward Rick congrats! It looks like you’re on your way to a great 2009 8)

CFTraveler
5th January 2009, 07:04 PM
Happy Solstice and belated Christmas, (I wasn't around here for the celebration) and for all Latin-o-s that may attend, Happy Three Kings Day tomorrow (Jan 6, the official last day of Christmas.)
Feliz Dia De Reyes. Did you put grass (lawn, ahem) in your shoebox for the camels?
Giving it a little more tropical spin.

ButterflyWoman
6th January 2009, 02:35 AM
And a Merry Twelfth Night! (It's Twelfth Night here on the fashionable side of the International Dateline ;))

Ouroboros
6th January 2009, 02:41 AM
And a Merry Twelfth Night! (It's Twelfth Night here on the fashionable side of the International Dateline ;))

YOU'RE a fashionable side of the International Dateline.

Wait, what?

And to /rick...congrats man! That must be an awesome breakthrough! Hopefully I can achieve something similar for myself this year.

ButterflyWoman
6th January 2009, 03:07 AM
On a serious note (I'm actually capable of those when I want to ;)), once you've done more spiritual work, you might come to a place where you want to go back and revisit some of the things in the Bible. I don't particularly recommend the Old Testament, other than the creation story, which is very beautiful if taken as a metaphor rather than in any literal sense at all, and some of the Psalms are nice poetry, but really, the Old Testament is a very culture-specific book, and hardly any of it applies to anyone outside of the Ancient Jews, in my opinion (many modern Jews still observe parts of it, of course, which is not quite what I'm talking about).

Anyway, some years ago I decided to read the actual Bible, and I did, particularly the New Testament (and I didn't use the King James, which is antiquated and loaded with dogmatic translations), which is what convinced me that I didn't need organised religion at all. Jesus was pretty clear on that topic, actually. The Kingdom of Heaven is inside YOU.... Back to the topic, the more I experienced and understood directly, the more sense the New Testament made to me. Things that previously had just made me go, "Wha...?" suddenly made sense, and the teachings of Jesus, taken in a spiritual light of Unity rather than from a dogmatic, religiously tainted perspective, are amazing and incredibly freeing, and what's more, an awful lot of them are found in other world religions (not the precise words, but the underlying concepts).

So, I'm not telling anyone to read the Bible, but if you have a background in that, or you're just curious about it, I would say that the New Testament is particularly worth reading once you've broken from the dogmatic, religious interpretations and can view it from a spiritual perspective.

Also, there are a lot of good books out there on non-dogmatic interpretation of the Bible. I particularly recommend Andy Gaus' "Unvarnished New Testament" for just a really good reading of the original Greek, without all the hoity-toity ecclesiastical words that are usually used in translation. It gave me an amazing new perspective on the New Testament, to say the least, and I've found that if you can change your perspective on something that blocks you or limits you, you can open up whole new horizons and possibilities. Rather than just sandblasting it away or pretending it's meaningless (obviously, it's not meaningless if you believed it; it had to mean SOMETHING to you, even if it was just based in fear), looking at it from a completely different angle can allow you to melt the negative beliefs completely.

Ouroboros
6th January 2009, 03:31 AM
I remember in my younger days I read through the entire Bible in an attempt to be a better Christian. Numbers was hard =\ I was so glad when I finally finished the Old Testament...it was not a fun read for me.

However, that "Unvarnished New Testament" sounds like a really interesting read. It'd be fascinating to compare that to what I remember from back in the day, and see if there are any differences.

ButterflyWoman
6th January 2009, 04:16 AM
I was so glad when I finally finished the Old Testament...it was not a fun read for me.
Heh. It's not a fun read for anyone. I think even Rabbis probably would shudder at the thought of reading the whole thing, all the way through!

However, that "Unvarnished New Testament" sounds like a really interesting read. It'd be fascinating to compare that to what I remember from back in the day, and see if there are any differences.
It's a really good read, and it's really readable, that was what amazed me. Paul's letters come across as actual letters, to real people, for example. Really good stuff. I got my copy at a regular old bookstore (Borders, I think it was).

Korpo
6th January 2009, 09:46 AM
So, do you guys think you can keep this thread alive till the Northern Summer Solstice? ;)

Oliver

ButterflyWoman
6th January 2009, 12:21 PM
Oh, hey, now there's a thought! :)

CFTraveler
6th January 2009, 02:56 PM
I was going to add that anything by Emmett Fox is a good read for those who look at the Bible (boh old and new testament) as a collection of symbolic metaphor and a metaphysical manual. It puts a different spin on some of the stories that don't seem to make sense and uncovers some interesting symbology. Especially the 'Sermon of the Mount' is a good one.

And the thread lives on. :)

ButterflyWoman
6th January 2009, 03:20 PM
Emmett Fox you say? Cool. I'll look into that. Though I'm still not at all keen to read the Old Testament again. *shudder*

SlashRick
7th January 2009, 12:55 AM
So, do you guys think you can keep this thread alive till the Northern Summer Solstice? ;)

hrm. quite possibly.

although, it SHOULD get a little more activity than the poshie spicie thread!

so, anybody got big plans for Hunger Moon? (Wolf Moon?)

i plan on becoming an Ex Smoker!

/rick

ButterflyWoman
7th January 2009, 02:20 AM
I never make resolutions like that. I just decide one day, "This is it," and I do it. I've always been like that. A couple days ago I quit Coca Cola cold turkey (note: serious addiction). When I finally succeeded at giving up the cigarettes, I just stopped buying them, went cold turkey (if you don't count rummaging around for butts to smoke when I got really desperate for the first few days). I do that with dietary changes, too. I just go, "Yup. Enough of that. I'm going to do this and this now," and I do it.

I don't mean to say that I've got super willpower, only that I never plan these things in advance. With many of them I think about it a while first, but a lot of them, it's just like a switch flipping.

I'm not sure if the planned changes are more or less succesful, but I do know that until and unless that switch has flipped, I'm almost certainly not going to succeed.

I've always been a "jump in at the deep end and hope I figure out how to swim before I drown" sort, though. ;)

SlashRick
16th January 2009, 12:17 AM
Danger, Danger, WE ARE OUT OF F's, and soon to be in a defecit!!!!!

PLEASE, SEND US YOUR F's before we all DIE!

oh, and in case anyone was wondering, i AM well on my way to being an ex-smoker.

it's been a bit rough, and i ended up having to do a 'phase out' vice just being able to totally stop.
but as of right now, i'm down to 3 per day.

phew

/rick

ButterflyWoman
16th January 2009, 12:36 AM
i AM well on my way to being an ex-smoker.
Good. Keep going. You'll feel MUCH better when you've been off the smokes for a while. (I say that as an ex-smoker of some nineteen years or so.)

Ouroboros
16th January 2009, 12:46 AM
Keep goin' /rick, you can do it!

I was able to quit cold turkey, but I seem to be an unusual case. I never experienced physical withdrawal....smoking for me was strictly a stress-related activity. I smoked really heavily during the renaissance festivel, but shortly afterwards I just stopped.

Now, if I can not smoke in high-stress situations, THAT will be an accomplishment!

SlashRick
16th January 2009, 01:28 AM
thank you all for your wonderfull affirmations......

the habbit part is actually the easy part for me. also using smokes as a stress reaction, no big problem there..

my problem is the actual physical withdrawl.

the last time i stopped, i was able to stop cold, only because i stopped on the first night of a 3 night 4 day hiking trip.
so:
1. i had no actual way to get any smokes.
2. i had a whole forest in which to SCREAM, PUKE, SLEEP, and BREATH in.

however, this time, i do not have that opportunity. i am still working, being at home, interacting with my family, and co-workers, and clients...
i have found that it is currently not really a good idea to stand in the middle of my office, and SCREAM, and definitely PUKING in front of the customers is really really not good.

i've tried the gum's, patches, pills, etc, and have had bad physical reactions to all of them...
so, today i had 3
tomorrow i will have 2.
saturday i will have 2.
sunday i will have 2.
monday i will have 1
tuesday i will have 1
wednesday i will have 1
then, thursday, i will have none.

/rick

Fish
16th January 2009, 06:36 PM
Yes you will 8)

Good luck Rick

ButterflyWoman
30th January 2009, 12:07 AM
It has been ridiculously hot in Melbourne the past few days. Yesterday it reached a high of 43 C (109.4 F), and we also had a power outage at our house for several hours. We had to take refuge in a shopping centre (a "mall" to you North Americans), and we ended up eating out for both lunch and dinner, which we normally never do. Bleah. Today the predicted high is the same. With luck, we will be able to keep the power on, though.

We've had to turn off our server entirely, because the server room was extremely hot and no amount of air circulation was bringing down the temperature to reasonable levels, and it's really BAD for a computer to run it when it's super hot. The entire rack is off, as a matter of fact, and will remain so until the temperatures come back down to something more normal.

There have been power outages all around the city, and the trains are running sporadically, too.

And yes, I know this is normal heat for a lot of places. I spent most of my childhood in Arizona, so I'm aware, but for Melbourne, it's definitely NOT normal, and it shows. :shock:

Oh, and the plants that I planted for soltice are still alive but a couple of them are very badly damaged by the heat. I'm sure they'll survive and pull through, but one of the alstromeria lilies has lost all of its blossoms (they dried right up). The avacado and the cactuses are fine, and the herbs are mostly okay (the basil seems to be really happy in the heat, actually), but everything else is showing considerable strain. :(

Oh, and the Australian Open tennis is on now in Melbourne, so the players are having to compete in this awful heat! I'm surprised none of them have had heatstroke yet, to be perfectly frank. I know they're in great shape, but heatstroke can affect anyone...

So much for summer solstice, eh?

Ouroboros
30th January 2009, 12:17 AM
That's some crazy heat! o.o

Home-grown avocados. Now that sounds damn tasty! What's your favorite thing to use them in?

ButterflyWoman
30th January 2009, 12:25 AM
Home-grown avocados. Now that sounds damn tasty!
Well, they are, but this is just a potted avocado plant. We grew it from an avocado pit as an exercise for the kids to watch. The plant actually won't be fertile (there's a technical explanation for why that is, but in a nutshell, it has to do with the way commercially grown avocadoes are generated, which is by grafting).

What's your favorite thing to use them in?
I like avocado as spread on a sandwich and I make a really nice avocado based salad dressing, but we also make guacamole to have with tacos or nachos. Oh, I also like them just cut up in a bowl with some fresh tomatoes and a little salt and pepper. Mmmm.

Ouroboros
30th January 2009, 02:25 AM
Hehehe, I shouldn't have asked. Now I'm hungry :P *tummy growl*

SlashRick
21st February 2009, 01:52 PM
speaking of winter,

right now, it is SNOWING,
with gusty wind
and there are only 18 F's on the thermometer.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
/rick

Ouroboros
21st February 2009, 08:32 PM
speaking of winter,

right now, it is SNOWING,
with gusty wind
and there are only 18 F's on the thermometer.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
/rick

Punch it in the face, imo.

ButterflyWoman
21st June 2009, 03:22 PM
Okay, it's winter solstice here now. A few more weeks and the worst of the short days will be over. It doesn't get particularly cold where I live, but it rains a lot and it's grey and overcast a lot of the time, and I always look forward to spring...

And happy summer solstice to those of you in the Northern Hemisphere. Hope you're not suffering too much from the heat!

SlashRick
22nd June 2009, 01:31 AM
remember all those missing 'F's?

i found them this week.
in Atlanta.

98 of them at a time.

please please please, let there be AVERAGE.

/rick

Ouroboros
22nd June 2009, 02:06 AM
Okay, it's winter solstice here now. A few more weeks and the worst of the short days will be over. It doesn't get particularly cold where I live, but it rains a lot and it's grey and overcast a lot of the time, and I always look forward to spring...

And happy summer solstice to those of you in the Northern Hemisphere. Hope you're not suffering too much from the heat!

It's quite hot here in Houston. Gonna hit the low hundred's this week. Thankfully the air conditioning on the buses here is usually pretty good. x.x

Neil Templar
22nd June 2009, 02:49 AM
i've had an amazing time.
we (the folk i run our club nights with) organized a party at one of the local, out-of-town beaches last night.
it was brilliant! 8)
i dj'd 3 times, bonfire on the beach, all the stars were out, people screaming and having fun, amazing!

then today i did the tech for the burlesque night at work. what fun!! and i get paid for all of it! hehe, life is sweet sometimes eh?

and it seems, the more i enjoy life, and am grateful for the good times... the more they seem to come... :D

CFTraveler
22nd June 2009, 04:04 PM
It's really hot here in the sun. It's hard to breathe 'cause the air is on fire.
Dang!

Ouroboros
22nd June 2009, 09:18 PM
It's really hot here in the sun. It's hard to breathe 'cause the air is on fire.
Dang!

I've heard it's even worse there than Houston (you're in Florida, right?) I can't even comprehend that.

CFTraveler
22nd June 2009, 09:34 PM
At the moment, I can't comprehend anything. Except trying to breathe fire, is the best way to describe it.

star
23rd June 2009, 02:27 AM
owchee