PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Leland, "Music and the Soul"

Korpo
1st January 2009, 09:35 PM
I had a wonderful experience today, and I owe it to a book: "Music and the Soul - A Listener's Guide to Achieving Transcendent Musical Experiences".

In this book the author tries to outline a "Yoga of Listening" (and performing and composing, actually). The basic premise is that music can activate growth in human consciousness, and in fact target the eight spiritual centers (chakras). Each element of the music targets a different center, and many of these elements can be present in any piece of music. They can help to develop the centers and balance them.

The aspects of the music and their associated centers and concepts are:
1 - Root - Rhythm - Embodiment
2 - Genital - Sonority (Pleasure/Sensuality) - Motivation
3 - Navel - Dissonance and Volume - Identity
4 - Heart - Melody - Union
5 - Throat - Tempo - Life Purpose
6 - Brow - Form - Analysis
7 - Crown - Macro-Rhythm (fluctuations in the total of the music) - Wisdom
8 - Transpersonal - Meta-Rhythm (timelessness) - Transcendence

Each of these centers has three layers - lower, middle and upper - a continuum that also culminates in a crisis point between the centers. Examples:

Center 1 is rhythm - the most basic music possible. Sounds. The lower level is Immersion - being immersed in any soundscape or environment. The presence of sound. The middle level is Interest. Patterns begin to emerge that capture the listener's interest. In the upper level there is Entrainment - the rhythm is now fully developed and has an effect on the listener. It could even lead to an altered state of consciousness. The body might want to move by itself. The crisis point of this center is Boredom. When rhythms go on for too long without change they can quite literally put you to sleep. They overload the consciousness, as is done in shamanic drumming (which is cited as an example). BTW, HemiSync entrainment patterns are also listed as examples for this.

Center 6 is form - the analytical faculties of a human at play. Most music is composed from the 6th center, but that does not mean it needs to be dominant in the actual music. Which level of the 6th center is active will determine what kind of music it will be. The lower 6th is Wit. This is witty, inventive music, playfulness or cleverness. Middle 6th is Invention. A "high level of creativity, logical thinkinng, and serious intellectual play". Upper 6th is Fantasy, the creation of landscapes and pictures in music. According to Kurt, lower 6th composers want us to feel as they do (entertainers), middle 6th composers want us to think as they do (formalists) and upper 6th composers want us to see as they do (visionaries). The crisis point is Irrationality - beyond the reason of the thinking mind but not yet in the fold of the soul mind.

Describing all eight centers in detail, each with their own chapter, the book quite clearly conveys how we can learn to recognise these qualities in music, and gives plenty of examples in all kinds of music. Even though Kurt has a strong background in classical music, also rock, jazz, pop and all kinds of music are mentioned. Including, to my great delight, Jimi Hendrix. For example his "Starspangled Banner" is listed as a witty lower 6th composition (full of clever ideas). Or Genesis' 70s fantasy album "Wind & Wuthering" as example of upper 6th fantasy composing.

Embracing the framework provided in this book I could start to take a closer look at my own music collection, and I can say - it is true! Over the years, paralleling my personal development in many ways, the collection grew along similar lines, expanding into more and more centers, incorporating more and more aspects. My teenage days full of 3rd center music - full of volume and dissonance, up to the crisis point of Violence - and I was indeed manically trying to define my identity. It took years before more and more beautiful melodies returned. Witty ideas, fantastic arrangements showed up later. More and more aspects got involved and the collection feels now much broader than it used to be. Recognising this an expression of my own growth as a person was indeed an interesting change in point of view.

In the latter part of the book some composers are more closely scrutinized for their potential as source for musical inspiration that could lead to growth into the realms of the 7th and 8th centers. I chose one of these for trying to delve into the "Yoga of Listening" - Anton Bruckner.

This was not an easy step for me to make, actually. For one thing music actually in some way always seemed to me to be part of my identity. Delving into new music is always exciting, but also a "risk" as it affects my identity as a person. At least it feels like that to me. Then, classical music in many ways imposing to me. I also was not sure if I was ready, either. But today all factors came together and I chose to listen to Bruckner's 7th symphony.

I sat down in front of my computer, upright in my office chair, comfortable. I started the first track of the symphony - the first "movement" as they are called. I closed my eyes and paid attention to the music. Bruckner composed his later symphonies from the 7th center, which can provide inspiration beyond what is possible from the sixth. Music inspired by the higher aspects of man. As I was exposed to his music several effects happened. After a while I realised I felt my body much less, as if comfortably numb. I felt sensations of energy pulsing softly through my hand or other such body effects. My body image was softly changing, for example shrinking to feel like my hands were closer to my center of consciousness from where I perceive things. I found myself in a meditative state of mind, appreciating the music, awaiting what the next moment would bring. It lasted for the whole movement.

Then the macro-rhythm (7th center music characteristic) happened. As the music expanded, my mind did, too. As the music went into what could only be expressed as "expanding into the joy of life" it seemed as if violins can sing. And then this flow of joy went back into ebb, only to build again. Present in the totality of the music this "macro-rhythm", this bigger pattern of ebb and flow also affected my mind.

Also the music was very beautiful. Different things happened in my mind and body I cannot quite describe. But they all felt good. When my mind was distracted, it was not as good, but when I noticed and brought it back to the music, it would reward my mind with a bigger pleasure of listening to it. I was not analysing the music. I listened to it, trying to take in as much of it as possible.

After the first movement of the symphony had ended, twenty great minutes of music, I opened my eyes and was really a bit surprised that I had experienced this "Yoga of Listening" on first try. Something within me had drawn me to Bruckner, and it had not disappointed. Meditation had happened, my awareness was focussed, energies had flown.

Later I launched into the second movement, which is also another 20 minutes long. Also a very wonderful experience. The third movement and the finale I did not enjoy as much. I got more distracted and scattered. I guess my mind's capacity for this had been exhausted. I was no longer able to maintain that same appreciation and come back to just listening. But the first two movements have totally "sold me" on this "Yoga of Listening". I will explore further.

Oliver

Korpo
1st January 2009, 10:25 PM
PS - during the third movement somewhere I started to see strange things in my mind's eye. Like for example melting comic figures. This was quite distracting. Even though I did not think of it at the time it might have been hypnagogic images. All kinds of bizarre things, but I don't think it was remembered stuff. It was created anew.

Oliver

amazingjourney
2nd January 2009, 03:47 AM
Sounds so interesting! One more book to buy and to read!! Thank you Korpo! :D

Neil Templar
3rd January 2009, 07:06 PM
Thanks Oliver this is super interesting to me, i dj and produce my own stuff (electronic).
i remember thinking some years ago,(before i had really started looking into my own spirituality) about mantras, hymns, shamanic drumming etc... many, if not all of the world's spiritual practice forms use sound to achieve altered/blissful/trance states.
i thought that if i studied the various forms they take, i'd be able to perceive a pattern which could be included in my own productions to enable an altered state in the listener.
needless to say, life and it's many distractions soon got in the way and the thought didn't return.

then, one day, after a long weekend of partying with friends, i found myself in a room with two other guys.
we put on Miles Davis's Bitches Brew, and we sat in separate chairs, forming a triangle in the room.

27 mins later, we each described our experience to one another, and they were identical.
i had seen myself, and these two individuals, as balls of energy, with visible cords linking us, and everything else around.
it reminded me of Carlos Castaneda, and Don Juan's description of how they perceived life forms as different coloured energy balls when in the altered state the shamans used.
it was the first time i truly understood and fully believed that we are more than this physical vehicle, and it also gave me an insight into the power music can have over consciousness.

i'll be getting myself a copy of Mr Leland's book asap, thanks for that!! :D

Korpo
3rd January 2009, 07:53 PM
Hey, Neil.

I think this constitutes exactly what he describes in the book as TME - Transcendental Musical Experience. The book also includes material about these, and how listeners, performers and composers can achieve them.

I believe you'll like this book. :D

Oliver

Neil Templar
4th January 2009, 04:16 PM
I ordered it today! :D

Korpo
5th January 2009, 10:01 AM
Hrmpf! Now I am trying to find really good adaptations of those classic works - that is frustrating, and I don't have an arbitrary amount of money to spend... At least I can preview all of these with my music flatrate - if they have it and the lousy search engine lets me... :?

Oliver

Korpo
16th January 2009, 05:35 AM
There are three experiences with music I want to relate in here, but right now - I don't have the time! :?

The first one is about Tchaikowksi's waltzes, how they uplift my spirits, what they do for me, and a strange little experience that happened to me.

The second one is about a lament for violin in the movie "Schindler's List", the one that is played during the Auschwitz scenes. It conveyed a feeling to me that I did not know it existed. It would classify this as a TME.

And the third one is about Bruckner's 8th Symphony. How the switch between two different conductors changed the experience in total, but also the energies that hit me.

Each one deserves a bit of writing, but needless to say, this "Yoga of Listening" is for me. There are times in my life when I want to instantly convey to somebody the way I feel, and all I can think of is a tune, a melody, a sound, something I already know from somewhere. When I want to say "This is undescribable. If you could listen to this music like I do, you would know what I mean right now." The sheer rich texture of instant expression in music, even if I only recognise it in bits and pieces, is one of the most rewarding experiences there is.

Oliver

sono
16th January 2009, 06:11 AM
What a marvellous post, Korpo, I really enjoyed it, thanks!

PS: I was trained as a musician & have always had my own little theories about the chakras being activated by music, Bach being at the "top" and "clean" for me as music in its purest state. . . the sort of repetitious thudding sounds that my neighbours produce actually make me physically ill to my stomach (nauseous; it's not just that my musical taste is offended. . .) so I suppose that would be affecting the navel chakra. But I think the music that most "offended" my energy body was something I heard years ago by Varese!
Does anyone else have any particular music-chakra experience to share?

Korpo
16th January 2009, 08:38 AM
Thanks, sono. It seems like Kurt shares your feelings about Bach. He describes at least one TME when listening to Bach (I think it was "The Art of Fuge") in the book.

I'm not so sure about "the rhytmical stomping", you know? It's different for different people. I love the music of Jimi Hendrix, for example. But my sister cannot listen to him - he makes her jumpy and uneasy, too restless. But I savour his genius, his abundancy of expressiveness, and I can stand the dissonance and feel how it enriches everything. So we feel very different about the same piece of music.

This one happened this morning:
After reading what Kurt wrote about the "Ride of the Valkyries" in his book, that it has different qualities depending on who arranges it, I downloaded a version by Klemperer. This morning I felt like listening to it (again). It was a wholly new sensation - I repeated it several times.

The first one was familiar - the feeling of passing through the clouds in a blue sky. The sky is deep blue and the clouds fly past. A sense of movement. Carried by the strings. Then a strange thing mixes in - I get the impression of equine muscles. Big equine muscles. I always thought of winged Pegasus horses in connection with the valkyries, but these are big horse thigh muscles at work, hard work. It's as if I can see a really muscular bright white horse galloping on the air. It was as if I could feel the muscles themselves.

At several times I felt like I had to cry. Every time I listen to it now I feel like - I don't know, I just am short of crying. Like I want to storm the sky with them? Like I am missing something.

I feel so elevated by it, I cannot believe my first encounters with this was in movies, in "Blues Brothers" and then in "Apocalypse Now". I feel like I reclaimed it, like these satirical contexts have been shaken off of it, and now I have it back, now I can see how beautiful it is.

Oliver

Neil Templar
16th January 2009, 12:44 PM
the first time a friend introduced me to Deep Purple, i had an experience of flying over a mountain range with two huge dragons, soaring, diving, entwining themselves around each other in the air.
i never knew the name of the track, but every time i hear it i'm back over those mountains. 8)

Korpo
18th January 2009, 09:54 PM
I wonder if this can be combined with something like the Mindstereo software OlderWiser mentioned. I looked it up, and it seems a bit inconvenient - it's a player program adding binaurals on anything it plays. Better (for me ;) ) would be a program that modifies/rerecords tracks so you can play them on an MP3 player with the modifications.

This way the meditative attention recommended for listening might be easier attained and maintained.

Oliver

Neil Templar
19th January 2009, 03:26 PM
I wonder if this can be combined with something like the Mindstereo software OlderWiser mentioned. I looked it up, and it seems a bit inconvenient - it's a player program adding binaurals on anything it plays. Better (for me ;) ) would be a program that modifies/rerecords tracks so you can play them on an MP3 player with the modifications.

This way the meditative attention recommended for listening might be easier attained and maintained.

Oliver

i've been thinking along the same lines, but simply using whatever audio editing software is available, logic, soundtrack pro...anything that allows you to put layers of audio on top of others.. then export the file as mp3..

i've also been toying with the idea of doing one of my dj sets, i guess it would have to be quite minimal stuff, with binaural tones layered underneath.
but i guess it'd only have an effect if everyone in the club was facing forward all the time with left and right ears facing left and right speakers.. :? hmmm..
maybe in a chill out situation it could work...

Neil Templar
19th January 2009, 03:43 PM
There are three experiences with music I want to relate in here, but right now - I don't have the time! :?

The first one is about Tchaikowksi's waltzes, how they uplift my spirits, what they do for me, and a strange little experience that happened to me.

me too!! i used to have a job in a bookstore, and every night when we closed, my last 20 mins was spent mopping the floor. i always played a specific section of Swan Lake to accompany my mopping, and was often moved to near-tears of joy by it. ( i'm listening to it now, actually, and the hair on the back of my neck is standing up! 8) beautiful!)
also the act of mopping the floor became an effortless dance, wow, this has just brought to mind something i heard the other day, in the audio recording - the Teachings of Abraham, from Esther and Jerry Hicks.
Abraham teaches us to undertake all actions in joy.
now, mopping the same floor every night of the week could so easily become the most tedious of tasks, but to me, those final 20 mins of my working day were pure joy. :D 8)

There are times in my life when I want to instantly convey to somebody the way I feel, and all I can think of is a tune, a melody, a sound, something I already know from somewhere. When I want to say "This is undescribable. If you could listen to this music like I do, you would know what I mean right now." The sheer rich texture of instant expression in music, even if I only recognise it in bits and pieces, is one of the most rewarding experiences there is.

Oliver

i totally get that too.
i've always found it easier to express myself through art, and later in life music. that's why djing is so satisfying to me.
people who know me well have listened to me play and could tell me after, what kind of day i'd had, or what kind of mood i was in, just from the selection of tracks, or the structure of the set i played. 8)

Korpo
19th January 2009, 03:46 PM
Hey, Neil.

Just a quick one about your first post.

Actually, there is technology that produces the effect without the stereo requirement. Neuroprogrammer has it, for example. It's just one of the possible effects that alters brainwaves.

I'm not sure what you mean with layers. Standard binaurals take the tone and create a difference between left and right channel to make the brain assume the difference as its dominant brain wave. So, you can alter any record to do this by just altering one of the stereo channels.

A lot of what goes into binaural records is "masking" so that the brain does not simply filter out the effect. Standard binaurals are masked behind layers of statistical noise to prevent this filtering to happen.

Oliver

Neil Templar
19th January 2009, 03:56 PM
Standard binaurals take the tone and create a difference between left and right channel to make the brain assume the difference as its dominant brain wave. So, you can alter any record to do this by just altering one of the stereo channels.

Oliver

what kind of alteration is needed?

i never got round to installing the brainwave generator on my computer - it's not Mac friendly. maybe i should dig it out and install a windows emulator or something...

Korpo
20th January 2009, 09:24 AM
what kind of alteration is needed?

The most basic binaural is a tone at a given frequency, modified in pitch for one ear to be different from the other. If the difference between left and right ear frequency is let's say 5 Hz, this is the frequency of the brainwave entrained by this binaural.

I just realised I'm not too sure if I got this right, actually... :? (I keep mixing up frequencies and amplitudes all the time :oops: )

But I guess if you'd modulate one stereo channel in pitch upward by the desired frequency difference, that should do the same for a whole piece of music. :?: The frequency differences are very minimal, as the low-frequency brainwaves are the interesting ones.

Oliver

Korpo
20th January 2009, 10:00 AM
And the third one is about Bruckner's 8th Symphony. How the switch between two different conductors changed the experience in total, but also the energies that hit me.

That one was an interesting change. When I first listened to it conducted by Giulini, it didn't hit me as it did when I listened to it conducted by Böhm.

There's a passage in the Adagio that Kurts describes as 8th center music. While the first recording brought the wonderful piece of music out - soft strings carry the harmony, and the harp plays notes that accompany and accentuate it - only listening to the second recording brought out more of the piece's qualities.

The harp notes feel like water drops falling into a quiet pond. But also that recording gave me shivers of a cool energy around and in the back of my heart. A very interesting sensation. That expandedness in feeling energy stayed with me afterward and contributed to the experience I had with the "Ride of the Valkyries" I described above. I was so much more receptive afterward.

Another thing I noted that for a brief moment I felt the "timeless" quality of 8th center music realised. In a passage of the strings it seemed that the speed of the piece was slightly accelerating and slowing down, but more like time itself had contracted and expanded a bit, and the strings were just playing in the same pace. This expansion and contraction felt like a breath - but the breath of time itself. It was just a small sensation, but quite a difference between the recordings.

It's beautiful music anyway. :D

Oliver

CFTraveler
20th January 2009, 02:30 PM
I thought this could go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmRTGRbrATs

Korpo
14th February 2009, 05:53 AM
I ordered it today! :D

How did you like it?

Oliver

Neil Templar
14th February 2009, 09:33 AM
hmmm. hasn't arrived yet.
it usually takes a while... Holland, you know? it takes a while for anything to happen round here. :roll: :lol:

Korpo
14th February 2009, 11:16 AM
hmmm. hasn't arrived yet.
it usually takes a while... Holland, you know? it takes a while for anything to happen round here. :roll: :lol:

Really? But I guess they think they're lightning fast... ;) :lol:

Oliver

Neil Templar
15th February 2009, 06:06 PM
sometimes i wonder how the businesses here stay afloat.
the service provided often gives the impression that they really don't care whether or not you want to spend your money with them.. :?
but then again, last year the Dutch were officially the happiest people on the planet..
they just don't get stressed about anything..

Mishell
15th February 2009, 06:30 PM
I wouldn't be stressed either if I had what they have. (I won't get specific for fear of being moderated.) :mrgreen:

BTW, service is total ♥♥♥♥ over here too.

Neil Templar
15th February 2009, 06:33 PM
I wouldn't be stressed either if I had what they have. (I won't get specific for fear of being moderated.) :mrgreen:

BTW, service is total ♥♥♥♥ over here too.
:wink:
i thought Germany was all about efficiency??

Korpo
15th February 2009, 07:10 PM
Well, I got my copy of the book. Did not take long either.

But if you wonder how people treat you as a customer, don't ask...

Oliver

Ouroboros
15th February 2009, 09:07 PM

Y'know, I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to say anything. :D

Korpo
15th February 2009, 09:49 PM
The subtletly... Oy!

Oliver

sono
16th February 2009, 04:30 AM
Is anyone else here a fan of Busoni's music? What he does with Bach is astonishing, & I love his opera, Faust - yet I remember my lecturers were not as impressed as I am, so maybe I am reacting purely emotionally!

Korpo
16th February 2009, 08:32 AM
And what would be wrong with that? :D

There's a music for everything. The book describes how different musical attributes stimulate different chakras. Kurt also describes how the soul steers us clear of music that does not contribute to our growth. You are unique, so you have your own "musical needs." :)

Also, Busoni is mentioned in the book:

I know of no other music by Busoni in which the mystical element is so apparent as in Doktor Faust. This is why I classified him as a sometime mystic. Like Schoenberg, he was visited by an inpiration that resulted in a few moments of eigth center music - and never again. [...]

In the yoga of listening, the middle 8th music of grace in the Symphonia from Doktor Faust could be useful as a means of realigning ourselves with the soul whenever we've gotten off the path of realizing its plans for our growth.(from "Music and the Soul" by Kurt Leland)

Busoni's music has a couple of pages in the book.

Oliver

Korpo
3rd March 2009, 08:40 AM
Well, since I recently laid my hands on Neuroprogrammer 2, I could just do this:

* Create a ramp session that induces a certain brainwave gradually (usually required at the beginning of every session).
* Create a track that stays at a certain brainwave.
* Do this for all the tracks I want to listen to: Overlay that 2nd track with the music track as a session.
* Export.
* Encode to MP3 (if size does require it).
* Put all of this together in a folder/album on my MP3 player where the ramp track is track one.

The ramp track could be reused for any music I want to use it with. The individual pieces would not need individual ramp tracks, they would just contain entrainment that keeps you at that level. That's like the "Deeper Than A Zen Monk" session does it anyway - the first track ramps down into the desired brain wave, the second track keeps you there (in Holosync this would be "The Dive" and "Immersion").

According to the NP2 forum a low pass filter should be run over the music to avoid creating unwanted entrainment effects - frequency differencies between music and entrainment pitch must be high enough to not create monaural entrainment.

Sounds like a plan. 8)

Oliver

Korpo
3rd March 2009, 09:48 AM
Over time I've found that eighth center music has an energetic effect on me. Not always - it's not like a switch that gets flipped. I need to be in a relaxed state, not so much in control (the state that most things happen for me).

What I get then is a deep, cold shiver, out of the center of my chest, from my heart, going outward.

Actually, coming to think of it, when I am in the right state then this can actually happen like the flip of a switch, given the conditions are right:

Les Beatitudes by Cesar Franck is a 7 movement suite about the beatitudes from Jesus' Sermon on the Mount. Kurt describes many 8th center moments sprinkled over the many movements of this piece. Each beatitude is sung by a singer representing Jesus, but there is usually some kind of story told before that, for example by the choir or also involving the Devil. Then Jesus cuts in and sings the beatitude, which kind of resolves the situation.

So, what happened is this: I am a bit drifting, in a relaxed mood. The piece is running on headphones. Then the voice of a singer cuts in, and the sensation of energy starts right with the very start of his singing. I cannot keep track who sings what in the piece, as I don't know French nor can distinguish who is supposed to be the baritone and who not, but the sensation came unexpected, right to the point and quite noticeably.

While other centers have influence on me, like the 5th center which indeed contributes to my well-being, this is the strongest energetic effect I encounter when listening to music. I had it in many pieces that are described to have 8th center music:

* Bruckner - Adagio of the 8th symphony (as described earlier)
* Cesar Franck - Les Beautitudes (5th or 6th movement, cannot remember)
* Yes, "The Gates of Delirium" (the final part of the song, also separately available as the single "Soon")
* Wagner - Lohengrin Prelude

I think I might have felt it in other recommended tracks, but I am not sure which and when.

Oliver

Neil Templar
11th April 2009, 08:14 PM
i just got a copy of this book. 8) quite by accident, i came across it the other day, not really looking to spend any cash that day, but it was the only copy in the shop, so i had to grab it.

then later that day a friend of mine dropped off some new software for making music, quite unexpectedly, too.

you think the Universe is trying to tell me something? :wink: :D

Neil Templar
13th April 2009, 05:09 PM
having only read a few chapters, i find this book already very inspiring.
not only inspiration towards creating new music, but the memories and experiences it has brought back to the front of my mind, excellent, perfect.
thanks Oliver, for bringing this to my attention. 8)

Korpo
21st February 2012, 10:16 AM
Seems like Kurt is selling the book again. See on his page for the book here (http://musicandthesoul.com/).