PDA

View Full Version : what to read to learn magic(k)?

starlight
8th January 2009, 09:40 PM
I’ve been doing energy work for a while and I am now interested in learning a little more magic. I saw the book on High Magick By Frater U. D online, would anyone recommend it or have other recommendations?
Thank you

Tom
9th January 2009, 01:15 AM
Instead of jumping in right away, why not do something specific like working with seeing auras for a bit, or improving your concentration? Meditation is a good place to begin, too, even if it won't feel as much like a measurable ability.

starlight
9th January 2009, 01:36 AM
I can see a little auras and I have been doing a lot of meditation. Maybe a little too much =) even the people that do meditate a lot thinks I meditate too much. Kundalini has raised twice, I can see my own chakra, sometimes remote view and project at will, I'm not sure how all this matters but it feels like I should to take another step. Is this like jumping in too deep too fast? I read a few pages online but haven't bought the book. Is it a book to start with to understand a more in depth concept?
Thanks

Tom
9th January 2009, 02:07 AM
You could try the technique here ...

http://forums.riverofenlightenment.com/ ... 313.0.html (http://forums.riverofenlightenment.com/index.php/topic,313.0.html)

If you like it you'll find that there is a great deal of material there that can guide you along based on Hermetics. I can definitely understand wanting a more structured approach.

starlight
10th January 2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks Tom,
wow there's so much information and so many different types of magick... this may sound like a silly question =) which type of would be easiest to learn and can give an overall view? (sounds like picking a major lol)
I'm not sure if get the question right, is it better to start with Hermetics than elemental magick (like calling for elements)?
thank you

Aunt Clair
17th January 2009, 01:33 PM
I feel that IIH by Franz Bardon is an excellent scaffolding to begin pathworking in any branch of magick .

From there I believe you should read as you will developing your own truth as you go .

As for me , I found the Bible , Kaballahistic Meditation , Zohar and All manners of Hermetic Magick and Alchemy books to my liking .

Ouroboros
17th January 2009, 07:26 PM
I have to second the recommendation for Initiation Into Hermetics. Bardon's work is an excellent way to form a base from which you can branch out. Even though I haven't really gotten to any of the practical work yet, the theory in the beginning was still a great help to me.

Timotheus
18th January 2009, 08:11 PM
:D

Ouroboros
18th January 2009, 10:35 PM
You have such an interesting style of expression, Timotheus. Quite poetic in it's delivery, but a little difficult to grasp on a skim. :D

It may take a long time to truly understand the deepest of meanings within a text, but that does not mean there is no meaning on the surface. While the self may be the greatest source of wisdom of all, there are many (like me, for instance) who do not know what the self is and seek clues and keys in books and teachings, hoping to find a light to guide us to where we already are.

At least, imo, tbqh. :P

SlashRick
18th January 2009, 11:10 PM
Timmie!!!!!!

dude!

we MUST share a cup of warm beverage some time!!!

it was not until somebody told me that i would hurt myself by riding my bike off the roof, that i broke my foot!

/rick

Timotheus
19th January 2009, 01:56 AM

alwayson4
19th January 2009, 04:14 AM
Well here is a free copy of Kraig's Modern Magick, that you can save to your hard drive as a pdf, if you click on the download link:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/761a5e22-ff45 ... ern-Magick (http://www.esnips.com/doc/761a5e22-ff45-403a-8e50-5ed026577a4c/Kraig---Modern-Magick)

This is acknowledged as the best introductory book on magick.

Personally it does not suit my tastes. I prefer affirmations and mantras to judeo/kabbalah stuff.

Timotheus
19th January 2009, 05:03 AM

Ouroboros
19th January 2009, 05:31 AM
in short I only really meant to say that everything we ever needed to know we learned in kindergarten.

i think robert fulgum wrote a book called such. cant remember exactly.

anyway, i came back to delete what i had posted in my above reply. i was feelin like it was too much, maybe. i will probably shorten it a bit though. i get the jitters, as if i typed something i shouldn't have...laughing at self.

laters,

tim

Ah, I hope you didn't interpret my comment on your style as derogatory or an attack or anything - that certainly was not my intent, I was simply commenting. I'm happy to see that you didn't delete the post altogether.

Timotheus
19th January 2009, 05:39 AM

Timotheus
19th January 2009, 06:00 AM

CFTraveler
19th January 2009, 03:49 PM
I pondered a study of the zohar for a few years, but imagined the life times it would take to gain even the slightest grasp, then let it go. i feel the same for any other massive textual undertaking.

magic begins with the magician personally speaking, I think. for me the best book, or study, to begin to learn magic, is your own self. the book that you alone uniquely represent.

in there dwells all the magic one may ever wish to participate with.

metaphysically speaking, i like the read written by florence schinn, that name may be mis-spelled, cant remember for sure.

seems a vain pursuit to me to look, or project to be a magician of sorts, but that's me. i must ask, who is not already a magician? remembering back i recall my first intro to reading: see jane run, see jane fall on face..etc.

such memorization was in vain, such that one did not learn to read as much as one had learned to mimic.

phonetically speaking, had one learned that (correct) mode of establishing the word, than surely magic would pour upon the pages of expression, whether it be reading or writing.

my devil's advocate two cents...sorry.

tim Would you be talking about Florence Scovel Shinn?
I've read some stuff from her and it's pretty powerful.
~~~~~~~

And now, for all of you that want to learn magic, something to ponder, and please indulge me in a little sharing-
One of the reasons I start studying magic (in many forms, I have begun many works and finished none) is because I'm one of those people who manifest easily. Too easily.
It's possible that it is because I come from a long line of manifesters (and people involved in pseudo magical subcultures) and already had the idea of my thoughts manifesting my reality as part of my upbringing, so I didn't have to reprogram myself to believe that - so all my life I've observed how my thoughts/emotions shape my reality- the awareness has been there, but as a young person the self-discipline hasn't, and as a result a lot of undesirable results have happened.

Which brings me to this caveat:
If you study magic, please make sure that your studies include a way of learning to control your mind and emotions, that the skill you learn include the skill to deflect or redirect negative energies, because negative emotions are very powerful and manifest really easily, even if you're not an 'adept'. So that if you study magic and become good at manifesting, realize that you will be also a very easy negative manifester, if you don't watch yourself.
Something many people who know have said is very important: Manifesting works when thoughts and emotions are in accordance with each other. And this applies to all emotions.
Ok, I'm done with my warnings.
Carry on.

Timotheus
19th January 2009, 05:10 PM

alwayson4
19th January 2009, 10:07 PM
Chapter 5 of "Energy Work" by Robert Bruce is an excellent distillation of magick

Ghost LLP
1st February 2009, 04:17 AM
I’ve been doing energy work for a while and I am now interested in learning a little more magic. I saw the book on High Magick By Frater U. D online, would anyone recommend it or have other recommendations?
Thank you
The One Year Manual: Twelve Steps to Spiritual Enlightenment - by Israel Regardie

Practice of Magic: An Introductory Guide to the Art - by Draja Mickaharic

and of course, Initiation Into Hermetics - by Franz Bardon