PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Stupid

Chris_com28
10th January 2009, 11:59 PM
I couldn't think of a better title to this topic. It's just that sometimes I feel quite stupid. Like I don't know enough, or I'm not skeptical enough. It worries me a lot sometimes. One of the things I feel quite un-confident about is current issues and kind of feel the whole world is moving around me while I try to get a grip on what's going on before it's snatched from my hands. I kind of feel stupid even though I try to make sense of things. I'm remembering back at the time I was reading a Nature article about some "homeopathy" experiment and was trying my best to understand it. Though I never got far with it. I guess it's good that I made an effort with it, but I still wasn't any less confused after reading it.

I'm just wondering if anyone else feels like this. I'm sure I can't be alone. Don't let me be alone! :cry: Lol.

Beekeeper
11th January 2009, 06:08 AM
Chris, don't feel bad. We're all talented at different things and somethings glaze us over while other things resonate completely. A person's value doesn't reside in their intelligence as measured by comprehension and recall. Love yourself, you're a splendid spiritual being in a human body and you're showing an eagerness to expand through learning, which, if you ask me, is admirable.

If you do an Youtube search on Mark Hyman you might get some ideas about foods that maximise mental function.

Neil Templar
11th January 2009, 01:48 PM
Chris, i have something similar going on.
i find it really difficult to express myself properly using words.
it's always been that way.
when i was a kid i was painfully shy, and was always "the quiet one" in the school class.
i spent most of my time daydreaming and drawing pictures.
in fact from the earliest days up until i was reaching puberty, i almost always had a pencil and some paper in front of me, rather than be communicating with folk.
now, i hold back from getting involved in some discussions, on forums like this, because i feel i can't articulate my points to the same level as most other folk.
i can say what i mean in simple terms, but have difficulty elaborating somewhat.
i often feel that i ask really stupid questions, esp here at AD. :roll: but that doesn't stop me from asking them, i mean, even if folk are looking at them and thinking "what a dumbass!", that's okay. it's often a case of type now, think about it later.. i think what's more important is how i deal with people and situations in life, and i am doing okay in that department. i've many many friends who love me, whom i love dearly... and i'm getting better at this "life" thing every day... so i don't let it get me down.

so don't fret man, you're not alone! :wink:

Chris_com28
11th January 2009, 06:05 PM
Thanks Beekeeper. It makes sense. Thing is I don't think I have a real talent. Either that or I'm yet to find it. My support worker thinks I should be a philosopher and is always going on about it. I guess that may sync well with me as it seems a more skeptical and inquisitive subject.

I pretty much agree with you there. It seems too much emphasis is placed on "intelligence" and less on deeper values such as compassion and understanding, something I try my best at. I like what you said about an eagerness to learn. Very much true with me, though there's so many areas of life that interest me and it's hard to focus on one thing at a time. I'm reminded of what I read in a yoga book. It was about a conversation with Siva and some warrior in battle. He was asking something about if someone falls back from their yoga practise. Siva said something about how though making the initial effort it will never be in vain. How even the intent was an accomplishment in itself.

Neil, I was pretty much the same and still am. I was always really quite and never fitted in well. I also spent a lot of my time doodling. One of the things I was most interesting was making geometric patterns. To this day I still have an interest in sacred geomtery and cymatics.

I also seem to have trouble expressing myself, though I feel it may be due to my anxiety about giving of the right impression. I worry quite a bit about how I come across to people, so every now and again I try to confess my worries.

i often feel that i ask really stupid questions, esp here at AD. :roll: but that doesn't stop me from asking them, i mean, even if folk are looking at them and thinking "what a dumbass!", that's okay.
Never really noticed that about you. I always seemed to think of you as one of the more intelligent ones. Though I was somewhat supprised you needed advice with crystals. Though this is a hard subject, especially if you can't find good information as ease. I'm still learning myself and I sort of feel stupid that I didn't realise things before. I guess one of the things to remember was what Bruce Lee said (paraphrased) "Better to ask a question and feel temporarily stupid and to keep quite and remain in ignorance."

CFTraveler
11th January 2009, 06:33 PM
Hi Chris. Like you, I feel stupid at times. Sometimes a lot. I think most of us do, even if we don't talk about it.
So cheers, you're in good company. :)

Neil Templar
11th January 2009, 06:53 PM
Neil, I was pretty much the same and still am. I was always really quite and never fitted in well. I also spent a lot of my time doodling. One of the things I was most interesting was making geometric patterns. To this day I still have an interest in sacred geomtery and cymatics.

I'm currently reading about sacred geometry -
Drunvalo Melcheizedek - The Ancient Secret of the Flower of Life.
it's in 2 parts, very interesting indeed!

I also seem to have trouble expressing myself, though I feel it may be due to my anxiety about giving of the right impression. I worry quite a bit about how I come across to people, so every now and again I try to confess my worries.

i often feel that i ask really stupid questions, esp here at AD. :roll: but that doesn't stop me from asking them, i mean, even if folk are looking at them and thinking "what a dumbass!", that's okay.
Never really noticed that about you. I always seemed to think of you as one of the more intelligent ones.
well, thanks. 8)
it's always interesting to find out how differently other folk view you, from the way you view yourself.
in fact it was only through allowing myself to see myself through the eyes of my friends, that i learned to begin to love myself.

Though I was somewhat supprised you needed advice with crystals. Though this is a hard subject, especially if you can't find good information as ease. I'm still learning myself and I sort of feel stupid that I didn't realise things before. I guess one of the things to remember was what Bruce Lee said (paraphrased) "Better to ask a question and feel temporarily stupid and to keep quite and remain in ignorance."

yeah i could've found the crystal info somewhere in Amsterdam, but i tend to think of AD first if i'm looking for info. :D
hey, the thing with knowledge is, it seems to come your way when you're ready for it.
no matter how less advanced/evolved i feel i am compared to someone else, i know that i'm right where I AM. exactly where i should be right now.
i'm hungry for knowledge and understanding... i move forward every day... it's all good! :D

Bruce Lee, maybe the coolest individual ever. 8)

Fish
12th January 2009, 01:03 AM
It looks like everyone here so far feels stoopid - I'm by far the stoopidist guaranteed :lol:

I put my foot in my mouth on a regular basis including real life - NO especially real life. The best way I deal with this is that I don't worry about it.. if everyone has an issue with me being me then to hell with them. I usually don't look at folks like that anyway. Most folks probably don't look at you like that either Chris, they're probably too busy being worried about how f**ked up they are to be bothered too much about you.

That's just my angle on it. Hey man, just be yourself and try not to worry much about what the next guy thinks because it really doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things.

But I do know what you mean. I've gone most of my life being the black sheep. With my friends, family, everyone pretty much. But hey, that's actually a good thing if you think about it because being different brings us different folks together y'know? That's why this place rocks so much because we're all so different we mesh very well and that to me is perfect. 8)

So don't look at being different - quiet - stoopid.. or whatever else you want to call it - as being such a bad thing. Just roll with it. You'll be just fine - or absolutely "not right" like me! :)

RyanParis
12th January 2009, 04:53 AM
With the way the world is now days, it's quite easy to be dumbfounded at times and not able to understand what exactly is going on. It's hard to know what to believe now days, what with all the different people and groups promoting their views and beliefs, it can be hard to know what to think.

Sometimes, I feel silly for thinking astral projection is real. I have no choice though, since it's actually happened to me.

Beekeeper
12th January 2009, 07:37 AM
If you're not falling short in one area, you're lacking in another. My shortcoming is vagueness and tuning out. I used to do this A LOT as a kid, in fact, it's my primary memory of the first years of school. No one seemed to notice. I doodled a lot then too and still do during boring meetings. Sometimes people even say, "Hey, that's nice, don't throw it away." :D

So, while I'm decent on the uptake and self-expression, I tend to vague out a lot and sometimes I get caught out on it too and people are offended. I even find myself confused sometimes about where I am and how I got there or what's happened in the last twenty minutes of the movie. I don't notice things too. I'm presently looking at dietary causes of this. Apparently it can be a sign of deficiencies and such. I don't want to become like my mum who accidentally sent my husband cosmetics for his birthday and had to ring up to ask if she'd sent him anything. Sad.

Anyway, isn't it good to see you're not alone and everyone feels stupid?! :lol:

Chris_com28
15th January 2009, 03:23 PM
I'm currently reading about sacred geometry -
Drunvalo Melcheizedek - The Ancient Secret of the Flower of Life.
it's in 2 parts, very interesting indeed!
I saw some of the lecture on YouTube. Very interesting, though I cou;dn't find any references to some things he said. Which is a shame because it would have brought in a whole new angle to sacred geometry. You read about the Plantoic solids? Very interesting reading.

yeah i could've found the crystal info somewhere in Amsterdam, but i tend to think of AD first if i'm looking for info.
Well there is some great advice here, though mostly around energy work. I saw some interesting advice from Aunt Clair about releasing blockages.

hey, the thing with knowledge is, it seems to come your way when you're ready for it.
no matter how less advanced/evolved i feel i am compared to someone else, i know that i'm right where I AM. exactly where i should be right now.
i'm hungry for knowledge and understanding... i move forward every day... it's all good!
That's how I understand things. Whenever I lose some interesting information I remember that if I really need it then I'll find it when the time comes. Sometimes we think something is important when it really isn't
You can't judge yourself by other people, only by how you used to be a year ago. Something I heard from Siva Baba.

With the way the world is now days, it's quite easy to be dumbfounded at times and not able to understand what exactly is going on. It's hard to know what to believe now days, what with all the different people and groups promoting their views and beliefs, it can be hard to know what to think.
Well it is a big problem today. Having such an intergrated society like it is now has good points, though it also has bad points. It's not supprising life's more confusing.
Though someone said something to me that now I think was quite wise. I was looking on the Internet at homeopathic articles. I was commenting to her about the "skeptics". She said something about how it's all just beliefs. They have their believes, but others have their own beliefs and they all think their own beliefs are right.
It's also interesting how people seem to base their beliefs and arguments on emotion and not intellect. Basically everyone is as deluded in their beliefs as everyone else, it's just that they don't see that and think their beliefs are right while the others are wrong. Though this is rather a generalisation.

Well I've got to be going now. Thanks for all the replies, this is turning out to be a very interesting thread.

Psychonaut1984
22nd January 2009, 12:53 AM
This was a really refreshing topic to read through. Thank you. I think this just made my day.
I was just talking about this same thing to my friend about 2 months ago. I think at the end of the conversation we came to the conclusion that its part of growing up, and being shaped/altered by our experiences.

You can't judge yourself by other people, only by how you used to be a year ago.

This is a real problem for me. In these exact words, actually. I have a really bad habit of dissociating when I get too caught up in what other people are thinking of me. It happens mostly when I am out in group of people. Its almost like I can feel what other people are thinking of me, and the more I become conscious of it, the more socially awkward I get.

I have always been a nervous person. I do better when I am one on one with people first before having to be in a group with strangers. I tend to do better expressing myself through artwork, and writing down what I am thinking. Even then I get misunderstood. For some reason I have problems communicating with people verbally. Sometimes I feel like I just sound and act completely retarded.

I find it amusing that so many people here feel stupid, for some reason it doesn't surprise me. Everytime I sign in here I keep telling myself how smart I think everyone is in this forum. CFTraveler you actually seem to know everything!

Cheers to feeling stupid!

Korpo
22nd January 2009, 11:58 AM
I tend to do better expressing myself through artwork, and writing down what I am thinking. Even then I get misunderstood. For some reason I have problems communicating with people verbally. Sometimes I feel like I just sound and act completely retarded.

Maybe you're more of a symbolic thinker, representing things to yourself as symbols? NLP states that different people process differently, but society generally ignores that. Symbols need time to be interpreted, that's probably why you prefer artwork or "writing it out".

If you actually are more at home with symbols, pictures and such like - rejoice! I'm sure it will come in handy when interacting out of body. 8)

Would be lousy shame if we were all the same. :D

Oliver

Timotheus
22nd January 2009, 08:36 PM
:D

Fish
22nd January 2009, 08:53 PM
:lol: :lol: great explanation there Tim!

GRANT
24th January 2009, 12:40 AM
Greetings,

You're not stupid.

Remember this, most people are putting on a front.
They talk like they're some intelligent person, when in reality, they're just repeating what they've heard from someone else--i.e. thet don't actually know facts about the subject themselves.

You know what you know---and don't let your ego, let you pretend you know more.
If you don't know about a subject, then you don't. Just listen to what's being said. Your own "intuition" will tell you, or let you feel, what is and what isn't.

Astal projection will open many doors for you. Just remember--- it is not a toy. Read up on our beginnings. You'll know what is right or wrong.

Grant

Neil Templar
24th January 2009, 12:24 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: