PDA

View Full Version : First time meditation session...interesting

VioletImagery
30th January 2009, 06:04 AM
I finally tried meditating for the first time yesterday. I have been resistant to starting because I am absolutely terrible at regularly 'practicing' anything. As soon as I think I 'should' do something, even if it's something I like or want to do, I get all rebellious and won't do it. Yesterday it was cold and snowy and I didn't feel like going outside, but I wanted to do something new. I was also kind of tired so I wanted something to 'do' that didn't really involve 'doing' much of anything. Meditation seemed like the ideal thing to try.

I can't say I followed any particular method. I started by concentrating on feeling the minute sensations in my hands that usually go unnoticed. I could have started more traditionally by feeling my breath, I suppose, but that didn't occur to me at the time. After a while, I noticed that I seemed to be able to see through my closed eyelids. As soon as I noticed it, I had a thought like "Oh my gosh! I can see with my eyes closed!" but as soon as I thought that, I lost the ability. I also realized that that was the first thought that I'd had in a while. Thinking about those two things completely threw me out of the state I'd been in and I quit not too long after that. Plus, I was afraid I would fall asleep and I had to go make dinner.

I am very intrigued by the whole experience. I definitely want to try meditating again soon. Maybe in time, I will even become a regular, without having to think of it as 'practice', lol. Which is the only way I can actually pursue anything.

Ouroboros
30th January 2009, 06:32 AM
Wow, that sounds like a pretty awesome first session!

I'm totally with ya on the difficulty of keeping up a practice, though. I'm in the same boat there. Slowly I'm trying to work myself out of that though.

ButterflyWoman
30th January 2009, 10:54 AM
Ah, meditation isn't something you "should" do. It's something you WANT to do. Really, it is. You've seen for yourself, eh? ;)

darron
30th April 2009, 10:09 PM
well this is cool i read about this in astral dynamics, i have done this before unnoticingly that i went to close my eyes thinking that i had opened them this all the sudden i said to myself my eyes are already closed, it is something neat isnt it

Apex
1st May 2009, 07:08 AM
Nothing says that your meditations must be routine, disciplined, or regular. I too don't like adhering to a strict schedule, and am therefore not good at things like daily meditation. I find my motivation gets spread thin when I resort to daily meditation, and I identify it as "work" and avoid it.

It can be nice to have a few things planned out in advance once in awhile though. For instance, if you know your living space is going to be very quiet on a certain day, you can look forward to spending some time in meditation.

My "vision through eyelids" happens on occasion, but it is always spotty and cloudy. I don't ever plan on it happening nor do I utilize it for anything productive. I consider it more of a side-effect, though of what specifically I am uncertain.

CFTraveler
1st May 2009, 12:08 PM
I regularly meditate (If I don't I go nuts) and I have to say I've never been able to induce or predict when the 'seeing through eyelids' is going to happen. It just happens when it feels like it. I've had it happen in the daylight outside (if only for a second or two) so I don't even think it's pineal-gland related like I used to. It's just 'one of those things'.

darron
1st May 2009, 12:41 PM
i usually meditate when i get the inspiration to