PDA

View Full Version : Wildfires in Australia

Ouroboros
9th February 2009, 05:30 AM
I know we have a lot of Aussie's here, I hope you're all safe and well! o.o

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/0 ... index.html (http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/02/08/australia.wildfires/index.html)

ButterflyWoman
9th February 2009, 07:18 AM
We had a fire not too far from our house (far enough not to be a danger to us, though). There were huge plumes of smoke billowing up, it was really awesome, and I don't mean that in a good way, I mean it in the sense of "inspiring awe and terror".

A friend of ours lives in a town that has only two houses left standing. I only just heard that she is alive and well, but she's lost her car, her home, her business, and all of her possessions. The fire came on REALLY quickly on that town, apparently from three sides. Most residents did survive, but didn't have the opportunity to save anything (clothes, computers, personal identification, pets... :()

Last I heard, there were 65+ confirmed dead in total for the state of Victoria. It's probably gone up by now. I haven't had the heart or stomach to check. I feel like someone punched me in the gut. :(

Thank you for your good wishes. This doesn't affect me, personally, and other than the friend I mentioned, it doesn't affect anyone else close to me, but it still makes me feel sick and sorry and concerned for the victims of the fires.

Send healing energy. These people will need it to rebuild their lives.

Ouroboros
9th February 2009, 07:30 AM
Send healing energy. These people will need it to rebuild their lives.

Sent. May all affected find peace and healing.

ButterflyWoman
9th February 2009, 12:29 PM
Just watched the news. Kinda wish I hadn't. Death toll is up to 130 or so, and it's going to go higher. The photographs on the news of the destroyed houses and burnt out cars was just horrific.

I'm trying to take all this pain and confusion and fear and channel it to Source for processing. I don't know if it's going to help anyone, but I can't seem to shield myself from the waves and waves of it, so I may as well do something with it.

Actually, I think my sheilds are okay, it's just that there's so much of it, and no matter how well I shield, I'm a naturally compassionate person, so I can't help but feel for these people. I feel almost on the verge of tears at least part of the time. Mostly I feel like someone punched me in the gut.

Good old Aussies, though, managed to raise ten million dollars in a single day. That's pretty good for a country with a total population of only around 21 million.

Korpo
9th February 2009, 12:53 PM
That's very impressive and compassionate.

Good luck to all of you!

Oliver

Fish
9th February 2009, 04:41 PM
Best of luck to all of you there!

Beekeeper
9th February 2009, 08:26 PM
We have friends who evacuated. The hospital and then the hostel let them take their dog in. They're reasonably elderly people. They're not allowed back to their area yet but yesterday they had an unconfirmed report that their house is gone. I'm so sorry for them.

This morning the death toll is 173.

Palehorse Redivivus
10th February 2009, 02:09 AM
Will be sending lots of love and healing in that direction... all the best, you guys!

sono
10th February 2009, 06:58 AM
Good wishes & strength to all concerned
Namaste

SlashRick
10th February 2009, 01:18 PM
Love
Understanding
Compassion
Kindness

but most of all, LOVE.

to all who are in/near this trial.

/rick

Beekeeper
14th February 2009, 07:37 AM
Our friends' home did burn down, the report was true. They have been given money to buy new clothes so far.

ButterflyWoman
20th February 2009, 01:05 PM
Over 200 confirmed dead now, more expected. They've had to bring in police from another state and call out the military to help search for bodies, and they're saying they may never be able to positively identify all of them because the remains are so incredibly charred. They'll have to try to match remains to missing persons reports and so forth, and it might be months before loved ones can bury them.

Over 7000 people are homeless, as well. There's already a housing crisis in the state (well, mostly in Melbourne, but it extends to areas within commuting distance of Melbourne, as well), with more people looking for housing than there is available housing. Now there are 7000+ more people without homes...

The good news is that the Bushfire Appeal has raised well over AU$100,000 so far. Apparently, even Her Majesty the Queen contributed to the fund (presumably from her private income/fortune, otherwise it would have said it was a gift of the United Kingdom), as well as a number of other foreign governments and heads of state.

Sunday is a national day of mourning in Australia. Melbourne is GMT +9 and on the fashionable side of the International Dateline, so it'll probably still be Saturday where you are ("you" meaning generally North America and most of Europe), but if you'd spare a thought and a prayer or some positive vibes for the many, many victims, human and animal, I'm sure it would go a long way, especially with so many other people concentrating on the same thing.

Fish
20th February 2009, 01:21 PM
Wow..I don’t know what to say except those folks there are definitely in my thoughts and I wish them all the best in getting through this. What an awful thing.. Thanks for the update I was thinking about this on my drive in to work this am.

Timotheus
20th February 2009, 04:18 PM
:D

SlashRick
21st February 2009, 01:47 PM
i cry with you.

and am thankful that this did not happen during winter.

/rick