PDA

View Full Version : 3-Week Ultra Mega Goalathon

Ouroboros
16th February 2009, 04:18 AM
I almost considered adding "5000" to the end of the thread title, but figured that might be overkill. ;)

So, going on the whole 3 weeks to make a new habit thing, I decided to formalize a challenge for myself. For three weeks, I must wake up at 8:00 AM, go to the gym and do at least 20 minutes (preferably 30) of cardio, and spend one hour doing brainwave entrainment using NP2 (Deeper Than a Zen Monk). I give myself one free day, that being Saturday, where I can sleep in. (Though, not for very long; I have a martial arts class at 11:00.)

While deciding to do this, I finally understood the value of rewarding yourself, and HOW to make a suitable reward so as to better motivate oneself. My reward for successful completion will probably be a new sword, either this one: http://www.kultofathena.com/product~ite ... i+Jian.htm (http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~SH1013~name~Hanwei+Damascus+Tai+Chi+J ian.htm) or this one: http://www.kultofathena.com/product~ite ... g+Jian.htm (http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~SH2349~name~Hanwei+Tang+Jian.htm)

Why am I making this thread? Further motivation to actually stick with it! I'm going to use this as sort of a log for my successes. I think the first week is going to be the hardest, but if I get up and do this every day, and see the logs of it, it'll be a sort of positive boost.

Why do this in the first place? Well, I really like swords and need an excuse....err, wait, that's not it. :P What it really is is me proving to myself what OlderWiser has recently been dealing with - the idea that I'm my own biggest obstacle. The only things really keeping me from doing what I need/want to do is ME. It is my decision to live my life the way I do, and it can be my decision to change it. If I can shake off my lethargy and step outside of my comfort zone long enough to build up some solid healthy habits, it will be another strong step towards reclaiming my life from fear.

The challenge starts tomorrow! Once I've successfully done a three-week stint of this (if I miss a day, I'm just going to start the challenge over and over again until I complete it), I'm going to slowly build on the accomplishments by adding other healthy and spiritually advancing activities to my list of things to do.

Week 1 - Completed Successfully!

Fish
17th February 2009, 04:12 PM
Good luck!! This is a very good idea.

Neil Templar
17th February 2009, 07:47 PM
i think putting it "out" here is definitely a good way to ensure you keep on track with it.
i've found myself in similar straights recently.
knowing exactly what i have to overcome, my biggest self-imposed obstacle, at least as far as i can perceive so far.... i take the first step to get past it... success!
feeling good about it, but then i let my guard down, i kid myself on that i have it beaten. i take my eyes of the ball just long enough to slip back to where i was before that initial step.
now, no further forward, and feeling a little negative about my effort, it seems like a steeper hill to climb. yet climb i must.

i guess it's easier to be lazy if no-one but yourself is aware of the struggle.
having your progress here for all to see, you have witnesses, supportive witnesses who wish the best for each other.
i wish you every success in your endeavor, indeed, i wish everyone success in whatever they try to accomplish in their lives.

you know, this just gave me a good idea.
today my boss was talking about lent, giving up some bad habit for 40 days,(is that right? :? ) starting in just over a week.
he encouraged the cast memebers to give up something they'd like to rid themselves of, whether religious or not.
i was wondering what to give up... i've already given up a number of bad habits in the past year. :)
now i know what to give up - letting fear influence my decisions!

thanks!

Fish
17th February 2009, 08:00 PM
I’m not sure how long lent is for.. I’m not catholic, but it can be anything in regards to giving something up.. Pizza if you want it to be :P

Ouroboros
17th February 2009, 09:00 PM
Thank you both for the well-wishes!

Even though it's only day 2, I'm feeling pretty good about this challenge. It's been hard waking up that early, but not as hard as I thought (especially since I started putting my alarm in a place where I physically have to get up in order to turn it off). But having the thread here really has given me a sense of accountability, and I think it's gonna provide the right kind of motivation to carry me through all 3 weeks.

i guess it's easier to be lazy if no-one but yourself is aware of the struggle.
having your progress here for all to see, you have witnesses, supportive witnesses who wish the best for each other.

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly why I put it here. Much harder to be lazy if I have to fess up to it.

SlashRick
19th February 2009, 12:40 AM
i'm chanting for you!

GO GO GO GO GO GO !!!!

/rick

VioletImagery
19th February 2009, 02:51 AM
Good luck, I am definitely rooting for you!

I might have suggested tackling one goal at a time and then as you succeed at that, gradually adding more, since I know when I make resolutions for a several things at once, I pretty much doom myself to immediate failure (like I'd be lazy one morning and just use it as an excuse to scrap the whole thing). Yes, I know you said you were planning to add more, but you might be surprised at the complex issues raised by even the simplest-seeming goal (after all, there must be a significant reason for why you haven't been doing it all along). But then, some people thrive on sweeping changes and would be frustrated with a slower approach. Your enthusiasm leads me to believe that this is probably more how it is for you. And, keep in mind, success or failure is always relative and a matter of perspective, anyway. Don't be too hard on yourself, don't compare yourself to others, and don't forget small rewards for your efforts along the way too (just be careful what you choose so you don't accidentally undermine your goals. I like to reward myself after a good workout by eating 1/2 a jar of Nutella :wink: )

I look forward to hearing more about your progress! And I would be most grateful for any tips on how to consistently get up early, as I too am a nocturnally-inclined person struggling in a diurnal world.

Ouroboros
19th February 2009, 03:43 AM
Good luck, I am definitely rooting for you!

I might have suggested tackling one goal at a time and then as you succeed at that, gradually adding more, since I know when I make resolutions for a several things at once, I pretty much doom myself to immediate failure (like I'd be lazy one morning and just use it as an excuse to scrap the whole thing). Yes, I know you said you were planning to add more, but you might be surprised at the complex issues raised by even the simplest-seeming goal (after all, there must be a significant reason for why you haven't been doing it all along). But then, some people thrive on sweeping changes and would be frustrated with a slower approach. Your enthusiasm leads me to believe that this is probably more how it is for you. And, keep in mind, success or failure is always relative and a matter of perspective, anyway. Don't be too hard on yourself, don't compare yourself to others, and don't forget small rewards for your efforts along the way too (just be careful what you choose so you don't accidentally undermine your goals. I like to reward myself after a good workout by eating 1/2 a jar of Nutella :wink: )

I look forward to hearing more about your progress! And I would be most grateful for any tips on how to consistently get up early, as I too am a nocturnally-inclined person struggling in a diurnal world.

Thanks for the well-wishing (that includes you too, /rick)!

I think I probably am the type of person that works more ably with sweeping changes. I do have a problem with patience, and singular changes might frustrate me in how long they take to accomplish. The stakes are certainly higher when having multiple goals, because there are a greater number of things that can get in the way, but for me that also helps increase the motivation. Granted, I haven't had a whole lot of success with actual changes (up until now), but it seems to be the way I work best.

The single most amazing thing for waking up consistently early, is moving your alarm to a place where you physically have to get out of bed to turn it off. Much easier to fend off temptation if you're already out of bed, then if all you have to do is reach over to your nightstand and hit snooze. So far it's been working wonders for me. I think I'd be struggling a lot more with this if it weren't for that simple trick.

Ouroboros
10th March 2009, 02:44 AM
Well, the 3 week challenge was not completed successfully. :( Although, in my defense, it was not entirely my fault since I got sick last Wednesday and had to rest to get better. So close!!

Since I have a vacation coming up that will most certainly much with things, I'm going to wait to start the challenge again until after I return from vacation, although I still plan on acting as if the challenge were still in place as far as trying to continue exercising and meditating daily.

Sometimes I think I'm too busy for my own good. But unless I no longer have to spend 40 hours a week to keep a roof over my head, that won't change anytime soon. :P

SlashRick
13th March 2009, 07:18 PM
you do what you gotta do!

the last 2 days i have been practically bed-bound.

caught some nasty bacterial infection in my lungs. i do not reccomend it as a spare time activity.

although, i must say, it did allow me to do some rather 'odd' 'awareness expansion'.

not that having the feeling that your blood has been replaced with battery acid is the prefered method.

ok, back to bed.
/rick

Timotheus
13th March 2009, 10:57 PM
:D

CFTraveler
13th March 2009, 11:33 PM
you do what you gotta do!

the last 2 days i have been practically bed-bound.

caught some nasty bacterial infection in my lungs. i do not reccomend it as a spare time activity.

although, i must say, it did allow me to do some rather 'odd' 'awareness expansion'.

not that having the feeling that your blood has been replaced with battery acid is the prefered method.

ok, back to bed.
/rick I hope you feel better soon.

SlashRick
14th March 2009, 01:13 PM
well, i do seriously believe i am going to live thru this.

although, it has been quite the interesting trip....

but one thing i must make absolutly CLEAR,,,

THE 70'S WERE NOT MY FAULT!!!!!
i WILL take the blame for the 80's, and big hair,,,, but NOT the 70's,,, THAT WAS NOT MY FAULT!!!

GO, tail-devouring snake, GO!

/rick

ButterflyWoman
14th March 2009, 01:34 PM
i WILL take the blame for the 80's, and big hair
What about mullets? Hmmm? And that stupid ruffle around the waist of a skirt, known as a "peplum"? Did you do that, too?

I liked the big hair, by the way. And shoulder pads. Could do without the peplums. And by the end of the 80s I actually had a mullet, so...

Ouroboros
14th March 2009, 07:15 PM
i WILL take the blame for the 80's, and big hair
What about mullets? Hmmm? And that stupid ruffle around the waist of a skirt, known as a "peplum"? Did you do that, too?

I liked the big hair, by the way. And shoulder pads. Could do without the peplums. And by the end of the 80s I actually had a mullet, so...

Ahh, the 80's. The decade that gave me birth. :D I look back upon those days with wonder...and much wondering. :P

Thanks everyone for all of your encouragement! This last week has been rough, especially with trying to get everything lined up for my vacation. Fortunately, I'll have my laptop with me, and I think I may have some extended periods of time to do some more serious experimentation with brainwave training.

I'm going to recharge as much as I can this vacation. I hope to come back and hit the ground running. With that initial burst of energy, hopefully it will be easier to maintain momentum. Things will have to get much harder before they get easier. It's time to push the envelope until it breaks.