PDA

View Full Version : One More Reason

CFTraveler
4th March 2009, 06:43 PM
... Not to use High Fructose Corn Syrup.

I've noticed recently those commercials that tell you there's nothing different about HFCS than other sugars (it's a smaller molecule, with a higher glycemic index than sucrose). They make me mad, because they try to use advertising to invalidate what scientists and doctors know about it- that it is statistically associated with some types of diabetes.
But now there's another finding that chances are you won't hear about- it seems to be another way we can be exposed to Mercury- and not the good kind. For more detailed information, check this out:
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400525/M ... -Food.html (http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400525/Mercury-in-Your-Food.html)

star
4th March 2009, 09:07 PM
Mercury.. Well, maybe with this information I can help ease my G/f off so much soda. :) See? Always an upside!

Fish
5th March 2009, 08:47 PM
Sheesh :shock:

CFTraveler
5th March 2009, 08:51 PM
And speaking of soda, this is for the ladies: http://www.unknowncountry.com/news/?id=7429

Fish
5th March 2009, 08:57 PM
Interesting..

So regular soda vs diet soda -the same effects as far as the HFCS?

CFTraveler
5th March 2009, 09:08 PM
Not necessarily- two different issues. HFCS compared to sucrose ranks higher in certain types of diabetes, while the diet soda vs. reg soda (regardless of what kind of sugar the reg soda contains- some places still use sucrose, it's a local bottling thing) show no discernible difference, because the caloric content of reg. soda and diet is negligible in terms of daily caloric intake, and as a woman I can tell you that when I used to drink diet soda (which caused eye problems, according to my eye doctor at the time) I also used to 'not feel guilty about' eating that extra french fry or the ice cream that I otherwise wouldn't have had if I had drank regular soda.
So IMO it's different issues.

Hey don't get me wrong, I love soda, and unless they tell me it's going to kill me tomorrow, I'll still have that after-lunch Pepsi, and like it even more- 'cause it's bad for me.

Ouroboros
5th March 2009, 10:52 PM
Hey don't get me wrong, I love soda, and unless they tell me it's going to kill me tomorrow, I'll still have that after-lunch Pepsi, and like it even more- 'cause it's bad for me.

Look out! She's a rebel!

8) :twisted:

Fish
6th March 2009, 12:51 PM
Interesting. I'm not a big soda drinker by any means. This will definitely make me choose a beer over a rum & coke now tho :)

Timotheus
6th March 2009, 03:14 PM
:D

Fish
6th March 2009, 07:31 PM
I was raised on kool aid as well. That's probably better than soda at least :wink:

Ouroboros
10th March 2009, 10:24 PM
I was raised on kool aid as well. That's probably better than soda at least :wink:

I was raised on kool-aid AND soda. :shock:

Tom
10th March 2009, 10:32 PM
Pepsi is going to temporarily offer some soda with sugar instead of corn syrup.

Pepsi to roll out products with natural sugar

PURCHASE, N.Y.

Pepsi said Thursday it is rolling out three new products sweetened with natural sugar, with availability starting in March and April.

Pepsi Natural contains all-natural ingredients, including light sparkling water, natural sugar, natural caramel and kola nut extract.

Pepsi Throwback and Mountain Dew Throwback are available nationally for eight weeks, beginning April 20. Both products contain natural sugar in a retro-looking package.

Shares of Pepsi declined $1.35, or 2.8 percent, to $46.24 in afternoon trading.

Ouroboros
10th March 2009, 10:34 PM
Pepsi is going to temporarily offer some soda with sugar instead of corn syrup.

Pepsi to roll out products with natural sugar

PURCHASE, N.Y.

Pepsi said Thursday it is rolling out three new products sweetened with natural sugar, with availability starting in March and April.

Pepsi Natural contains all-natural ingredients, including light sparkling water, natural sugar, natural caramel and kola nut extract.

Pepsi Throwback and Mountain Dew Throwback are available nationally for eight weeks, beginning April 20. Both products contain natural sugar in a retro-looking package.

Shares of Pepsi declined $1.35, or 2.8 percent, to $46.24 in afternoon trading.

hehe...I like the inclusion of the stock status at the end of that.

CFTraveler
10th March 2009, 10:34 PM
Yay! You know I'll be the first in line.

Tom
10th March 2009, 10:43 PM

Even though it's not Coke I'll buy it, too.

Ouroboros
10th March 2009, 10:57 PM

Could it be, another Pepsi fan? :D

I wish they'd bring back clear Pepsi. That stuff was the best.

Fish
13th March 2009, 12:28 PM
That is great news! Thank you for posting that Tom 8)