PDA

View Full Version : Editing Monroe tapes

Korpo
14th March 2009, 10:18 PM
For years now I have owned the Gateway Experience, the home study course provided by the Monroe Institute. I started out with this stuff, but only recently I came to realise that this was the entry point to energy work ("Energy Bar Tool", "Living Body Map"), all kind of trance phenomena (like extreme distortion of time), my first conscious OBE (without sight) and other stuff. Quite something, right from the start.

One thing that gets on my nerves though is the whole preparatory business on every track. There's simply no track that starts with "Hi, I'm Bob Monroe, let's cut this short ... 10!" ;)

So, at first I wanted to recreate Hemisync with the Neuroprogrammer 2 tool. Only to realise that this is entirely unnecessary. I just have to find out where the effective signals are on the tape and cut it accordingly.

I used a tool called "bavsa" that helps to analyse binaural tracks. bavsa shows at which carrier frequencies what beat frequencies are present and with what amplitude. A speciality of Hemisync is that instead of having only one set of tones that act as carrier frequencies, the Hemisync Focus levels have three or more. So, you can have several different carrier frequencies, each with its own beat frequency. Like a chord struck on a guitar they are all there at the same time.

Upon analysing just the carrier/beat frequencies of the exercise "Free Flow Focus 10" I found the following frequencies:
* Starting at about 2:00 minutes there is a carrier of 100Hz with a beat of 4Hz
* Starting at about 6:30 minutes there is a carrier of 300Hz added with a beat of 4Hz
* Starting at about 7:00 minutes there is a carrier of 500Hz added with a beat of 4Hz

BTW, a beat of 4Hz would induce a state at about the border between Theta and Delta IIRC.

When listening to the recording I realised that around 6:00 the Resonant Tuning part begins to fade. So I suggest to cut the recording at 6:26. At this point the Resonant Tuning is gone from the audible spectrum. You can for example cut this with the free tool Audacity.

When you now play this you will hear at about 0:10 of the new tape the arising of a tone. That's the 300Hz carrier. And at about 0:35 the arising of yet another tone - the 500Hz carrier. The first two together produce a certain recognisable sound, and adding the third carrier yet another recognisable sound.

This new session should help entrain to Focus 10 with all the other exercises gone through in these tapes before entering Focus 10.

Oliver

Ouroboros
15th March 2009, 06:08 AM
Oooh, some interesting info there Oliver!

I think I may see if I can edit myself a Focus 10 session in NP2 using those frequencies. That would be pretty sweet.

Korpo
15th March 2009, 06:32 AM
Don't forget to add pink noise - no entrainment (pulse rate 0).

Oliver

Korpo
15th March 2009, 09:45 AM
I also analysed the "Free Flow Focus 12" exercise from Wave IV.

The Resonant Tuning fades out of hearing range at 5:35.
At about 6:30 the signals of Focus 10 fade in.
At 9:30 Robert announces that he will count you into Focus 12.
At 10:00 the additional carrier frequencies for Focus 12 fade in.

Unlike the tapes from the earlier waves I cannot hear the tones/chords separately. With the "Free Flow Focus 10" I could.

So, if you cut this at 5:30 then 1 minute later Focus 10 signals will start and 4 minutes later Bob Monroe will count you into Focus 12.

The Resonant Tuning also shows heavily on the analysis display. I guess the whole Resonant Tuning sample is played with a beat frequency on top.

Oliver

Ouroboros
15th March 2009, 03:59 PM
Any chance you could pull those sweet sweet focus 12 frequencies the way you got the focus 10? :D No worries if that would take too much work, but I'm interested in trying to see if I can get NP2 sessions running for these. :)

Korpo
15th March 2009, 08:27 PM
From the start:

100Hz/1.5Hz

At 6:30:

200Hz/4Hz
250Hz/4Hz
300Hz/4Hz

At 10:00:

400Hz/4Hz
500Hz/4Hz
600Hz/4Hz

Each in addition to the others.

I wanted to do the same for Focus 15 and 21, but it seems like they did it another way on those tapes. They were also released way later than these.

You can always use these:
http://www.actlab.utexas.edu/~jmorris/docs/focus.html

(I don't know how they came up with the frequency sets listed on the bottom.)

I don't know how effective the frequencies alone will be if you've never been through the whole series. Especially for reaching Focus 10 the Monroe tapes combine a progressive relaxation with the entrainment just superbly. These tapes are by themselves well worth their money, I recommend buying them. Waves I and II specifically.

Oliver

Ouroboros
15th March 2009, 10:04 PM
I'm definitely looking into purchasing Wave I and Wave II, but that's gonna have to wait until I've got a bit more spare cash to go around. I need to build my savings back up a little before I start doing lots of purchasing again. :P

In the meantime, these frequencies should provide me with something fun to play with. :) Thanks much!