PDA

View Full Version : a thought provoking idea

Donald McGlinn
15th June 2005, 05:22 PM
I was chatting to a friend last week, and she posed a question to me that was very profound.

I have put it inside a post elsewhere on the forum, but I felt it needed it's own post.

The question is;

"If you had to give unconditional Love to another, what would you have to change within yourself to achieve that?"

As a question, it has so many levels and is very insightful.

Any thoughts?

Donald

nparker
15th June 2005, 05:40 PM
Hi Donald..!

Your question matches with my inner feelings and I though I've the answer... perhaps...

"If you had to give unconditional Love to another, what would you have to change within yourself to achieve that?"
Donald

Only God can love unconditional to another (never mind that another shall be a person, an animal, the natural environment, a thing, etc.)

But, we´ll be able of to love unconditionally while we think that our acts has sequels like waves in a pond. Our acts do not reach and affect the lives of persons affected directly by them but reach and extend along the near and far future.
Scientific activity (humankind well-being oriented, of course) by example, is a reference of leading though whose purpose match with unconditional love.

Natalia Parker

Tom
15th June 2005, 06:12 PM
First I would have to love myself unconditionally. For the purpose of giving love to another person, this could be temporary unconditional love for the duration of getting the job done. The easiest way I can think of to do that would be to first connect myself with a source of that unconditional love. God, Angels, Buddhas, Bodhisattvas, etc. come to mind.

Donald McGlinn
15th June 2005, 06:17 PM
Hi Tom, Natalia,

I agree with you Tom, I believe that we must first learn that Love for ourselves before we can Love others unconditionally.

Natalia, if we consider that we are all part of God, and therefore we are all forms of God, which in turn makes us all God, then doesn't that mean we are all capable of experiencing and living in unconditional Love?

:) just a thought....

Donald

nparker
15th June 2005, 06:31 PM
Hi..!
A thought related to previous post is that God surely do not interfere with individual affaires. God's acts affects the whole of humankind. Never mind for God the success or failures of little sets of person (even countries). For to love unconditionally, is needed, I thought, the ability of to see far enough, and to act with wisdom.

Or, maybe that reality is no more than an "The Matrix" context. Such a context, of course, assure easyness for God about to take the right decisions for all and anyone person.

Anyone isolated in its proper reality, without to interact with the neighbour (also isolated), will would assure to God that sequels of divine and opportune acts don't disturb life of neighbour, allowing then to test the subject (the person, the animal, the environment, the thing) and to determine if it is suitable to climb at the following level of evolution.

A situation as prior described is consistent about the quiz about "who will be able of to participate in the private forums".

Natalia Parker

Donald McGlinn
15th June 2005, 06:37 PM
Hi..!
A situation as prior described is consistent about the quiz about "who will be able of to participate in the private forums".

Natalia Parker

Hi Natalia,

Can you explain that to me please as I don't understand the context of the above statement.

Thankyou :)

Donald

nparker
15th June 2005, 06:44 PM
Hi Tom, Natalia,

I agree with you Tom, I believe that we must first learn that Love for ourselves before we can Love others unconditionally.

Natalia, if we consider that we are all part of God, and therefore we are all forms of God, which in turn makes us all God, then doesn't that mean we are all capable of experiencing and living in unconditional Love?

:) just a thought....

Donald

In the uncompleteness there are the root of failure.

But over all the things what to we understand by love..?

Take the surface of a table at your house. If the whole surface of table is God, all and each point are part of God. Each point hardly has the vision that God has of the whole. Only God is conscious of each point that integrates him. Then taking into account that we can only have feeling about a thing, with responsibility, only when (and if) we know to the low detail such a thing, then we can not to comprehend such a thing. Then we cannot to love it.

Natalia Parker

Donald McGlinn
15th June 2005, 06:48 PM
Hi Natalia,

If I am hearing you correctly, what you are talking about is perspective.

IE: That God's perspective is infinite whereas our perspective is limited.

Is that correct?

Donald

nparker
15th June 2005, 07:07 PM
Hi..!

Natalia Parker

Hi Natalia,

Can you explain that to me please as I don't understand the context of the above statement.

Thankyou :)

Donald

:D :D :D Taking into account that you (Administrator of this site) are, proportionally speaking, like a God :wink: ... if you loves this forum and his members you must to take into account the intellectual and moral (ethical) capabilities of members at Public Forum Stage for to give permission to they, for to download its thoughts and experiences at next forum stage: "The Private" according to RB' requirements (sequel of failure of astralpulse website forums)

Here are involved three things loved by you:

1 - "The reliability of pivate forum contents (procedures, experiences, thoughts)" and

2 - "The members themselves taking into account that not only readers can obtain benefit through reading and gathering of reliable info, but writers too, in reason that they can teach to another members on how to evolve putting attention to RB'purposes; done the fact the will able of to download at private forums: reliable procedures, reliable experiences, reliable thoughts. All that has sequels on the spiritual wellbeing of members.

3 - And, of course, yourself. Administration of this site, backed by moderators, requires time and effort, surely you must to feed yourself and your family, but, over all the things you likes to do things well. That's another purpose that requires love... don't you ?

That's all... Donald
Thank you very much by your effort. I'm learning.
Sincerely
Natalia Parker

Donald McGlinn
15th June 2005, 07:27 PM
I believe that Love can just radiate into everything you do and be a natural part of your being.

In essence, I believe we can *be* Love.

Donald

nparker
15th June 2005, 07:31 PM
Hi Natalia,

If I am hearing you correctly, what you are talking about is perspective.

IE: That God's perspective is infinite whereas our perspective is limited.

Is that correct?

Donald

Yes and No.

Obviously, a point of the table can only have conciousness of himself, but no more, unless technologically can link several mind-points. Under this viewpoint I'm limited.

But, by other way, I recognize that I'm a part of God and I can to participate although briefly (in time) and limited (in space) of their conciousness. Alone, I'm like a video camera that perceives reality from my viewpoint and sends images to him. My ears are like microphones. Too, God touches the sensible world through my hands, walks using my legs... etc.

But, if, in close agree with Monroe Institute research, there are a continuum of conciousness, then, my perspective has no limits and would be compatible with state related to an awaken Kundalini.

In such a state I would be indistinguishable of God, and my ability of to really love unconditionally will be realized.

Prior conclusion do not stands for: "to realize unconditional love Kundalini must be awaken". In a limited context all we can love unconditionally, and for such a enterprise we must to, first, are free of egoistic feelings, release attachments, be able of to see beyond and compassionate about the others who cannot be fee of themselves.

For such an enterprise is needed to go far of all the wordly things.

Natalia Parker

nparker
15th June 2005, 07:51 PM
I believe that Love can just radiate into everything you do and be a natural part of your being.

In essence, I believe we can *be* Love.

Donald

LOVE is one of those words bad used and warped by our "civilization".

It depends on your concept of "radiate into everything". My concept about that between "" is that love are a natural force of the Universe, who purpose is tie all together, like force of gravity but more powerful.

Of course, love is part of our being. Since we are sons of God, something of God are part of us. Remember that God create us, to his form and resemblance. But this is only achievable (or comprehensible) is we think about us as a part of God. My thought is that all person, all animal, all things, all vegetable, the planets, the stars... the universe as a whole is GOD. If not, who more is all powerfull, who more know-it-all, who more is the source of all the wisdom, etc. etc..

ONLY THE UNIVERSE (TANGIBLE AND UNTANGIBLE) CAN TO DO AND MATCH ALL THAT.

Donald McGlinn
15th June 2005, 07:54 PM
Do you believe that we can have unconditional Love?

Donald

Rydel
15th June 2005, 08:12 PM
First I would have to love myself unconditionally. For the purpose of giving love to another person, this could be temporary unconditional love for the duration of getting the job done. The easiest way I can think of to do that would be to first connect myself with a source of that unconditional love. God, Angels, Buddhas, Bodhisattvas, etc. come to mind.

You stole the words from my mouth Tom. :wink:

Tom
15th June 2005, 08:16 PM
There is a tendency to interact with ideas about people instead of with the actual people. By cultivating awareness and perceiving people the way they actually are, the sense of separation from other people can fade. This makes it possible to start to feel love, no matter how badly the label love has been distorted. I do not think that "unconditional" is the same as "unlimited". As long as there is even a tiny crack in the sense of separation from other people, I think that is the beginning of unconditional love.

Diabolus
15th June 2005, 08:22 PM
Sorry to go off-topic here, but when someone mentions the word God, I have to say something.

First of all, what if you don't believe in God? I have to admit that I have never, and will never believe in God. That's purely of my own very strong beliefs. If there are Gods (note the plural), I think they would simply be highly spiritual entities. Which leads me to think that absolutely anyone could be these.

I suppose I'm almost going towards a Modern Satanist approach to things, where I could see everyone as being Gods. To say there's a single one just seems ridiculous to me.

I don't mean to offend anyone in saying this though, I'm just saying what I personally believe in.

Edit: Sorry about that! I was too caught up in what I was saying to go back on topic. I think that it is possible to love in this way, because I think I am feeling that right now for someone, but I'm not completely sure. What I am sure, though, is that there's no lust involved whatsoever.

Love is a complicated thing, in my opinion. There are so many different forms for it. I have love for my family. I have love for my friends. But then I have a certain love for someone that is totally different, but also completely the same. I do not completely know why I feel this for this person, but it's really strong for me at the moment, and it's affecting me a lot.

Rydel
15th June 2005, 08:37 PM
First of all, what if you don't believe in God?

I was going to mention this myself. I personally do believe in SOME kinda of God. Not the traditional Christian view of God though. To me, for instance, it seems to take a LOT more faith to believe in evolution, than to believe something intelligent created it. I believe that the entire universe is part of this intelligence, therefore making it a "God" so to speak.

Also, if you are interested in modern satanism, I'm going to have to recommend http://www.regnumluciferi.org, a site on the subject that was recently created by a friend of mine. It also contains a lot of invaluable information on starting out with magic.

Happy reading!

Diabolus
15th June 2005, 08:41 PM
Also, if you are interested in modern satanism, I'm going to have to recommend http://www.regnumluciferi.org, a site on the subject that was recently created by a friend of mine. It also contains a lot of invaluable information on starting out with magic.

Happy reading!Thanks! I'll take a look.

I've been quite interested in it because when I first read about it, it seemed to be exactly how I felt towards things. Some things were a bit different, but most of it went along with what I think.

I've got The Satanic Bible and a few other satanic books, and they're pretty interesting. But I haven't had much time, or interest, in persuing this at the moment. I'm more concentrated upon psychic things, as these hold a VERY strong position in my life at the moment. I've always had an interest in esoteric matters, like magick and the likes, and am really determined to get as much out of it as possible.

Rydel
15th June 2005, 08:46 PM
Satanism is probably one of THE most misunderstood philosophies in the world today. You have to keep in mind, that satanism actually has nothing to do with the Christian concept of Satan. The term Satanism was actually coined by the Roman Catholic Church hundreds of years ago, and it stuck. Satanism, is in essense, the philosophy of the self. While Anton LaVey is probably not the best source on the subject, it is a start, and I'm sure there are some gems. Always remember to "separate the wheat from the chaff" though. :wink:

nparker
15th June 2005, 08:53 PM
Hi folks...!
Let's see. My unconditionallity concept matches very well with unselfish concept. It's closely related to Platonical love.
Logically love as I can feel is a limited feel since I'm limited.
Anyother question/though..?

Pd.: Has you previously heard about "mayeutics"..? It was a method used by Sócrates (469-399 B.C. / former greek philosopher) based on some he called irony.
The method of education that Sócrates was using was the mayéutica. It method based on the conversation based on questions. The truth has to be found by the dialogue or debate that can be found between two or more investigators, and even only one investigator who wonders to yes same and answers to its own interrogations. They find in this method two moments: in the first one, irony, one makes see in the speakers that the knowledge that earlier they believed true and undoubted they were not such. That's why Sócrates was going out for the ágora and there he was interrogating the teacher, the artist, to the general and with certain questions it was making them take conscience of his ignorance. In the second moment, as soon as the false opinions were eliminated, the proper speakers could find in themselves same the truth. That's why it is said that Sócrates did not teach so much a philosophy as to philosophizing.

By the way, are you Donald, using mayeutics with us..? :D
Sincerely,
Natalia Parker

Diabolus
15th June 2005, 09:07 PM
Satanism is probably one of THE most misunderstood philosophies in the world today. You have to keep in mind, that satanism actually has nothing to do with the Christian concept of Satan. The term Satanism was actually coined by the Roman Catholic Church hundreds of years ago, and it stuck. Satanism, is in essense, the philosophy of the self. While Anton LaVey is probably not the best source on the subject, it is a start, and I'm sure there are some gems. Always remember to "separate the wheat from the chaff" though. :wink:Yep, I completely understand why it's misunderstood. I'm always having to explain to people what I mean by Satanism if I ever need to mention it.

They would go "Satanism!? You're a devil worshipper?" and get out their crosses in a hope to ward me off. Then I'd have to explain to them that they have the completely wrong idea, then calm them and explain what it really is. My parents were fine with it though.

The fact they're gothic (Traditional, that is. Gothic is another misunderstood thing at the moment) might have helped, but I think it was more to do with the fact that they're atheists. My mum read about satanism and thought it was fine for me to persue.

Rydel
15th June 2005, 09:10 PM
They would go "Satanism!? You're a devil worshipper?"

That's the usual reaction when Satanism is mentioned. They are both completely different. I personally loath devil worship, while I'm not bothered by Satanism.

15th June 2005, 09:48 PM

if i was the person making the statement, hopefully changing the idea that i HAD to give it :wink: unconditional love is tied in with your other post about "expectations" it has to do with getting out of the way (i feel). there's more to it but i'll have to put some time into getting it nice and simple. it's not an answer people should rush to answer.

Dsmoke
16th June 2005, 03:52 AM
Getting back to the original question:

I'll echo Tom first and agree that I would need to love myself unconditionally. I'm making real progress on that, but it does take awhile to undo all the years of damage. When you don't love yourself, you tend to project your shortcomings, fears, and anger onto other people.

I would also need to be completely present, because then I wouldn't be traipsing about in the future or past with expectations and erroneous judgments of the person.

And finally, I would need to have more patience.

Tom
16th June 2005, 04:36 PM
If love is expansion and fear is contraction, then fear is the opposite of love. Is it possible to have unconditional fear? Is it possible to gain an understanding of unconditional love by looking at unconditional fear?

17th June 2005, 12:28 PM
i have attempted to post several times, each time the words have been lost. possibly thinking (as Alex pointed out) that words are useless in this matter has caused the glitches to keep my understanding to myself. it's one of those simple subjects that one could spend a life time contimplating.

love is something that is immediately lost with thought, and tucked in there somewhere is a profound truth. again i will agree with Alex that "everything is love". what gets in the way of that has nothing to do with time, or energy. nor who is worthy or not/capable or not...the only thing that circumvents love is ourselves. the ideas and thoughts that we have about it. i'm not sure that it's a "getting over/getting out of the way" move necessarily. just a quieting of the mind. in opening up and letting loose of the thoughts (that are stuck in the past), and the expectations (that are the "old thoughts" projected into the future) we are quenched in the creativeloveintelligence that is everything. that knows no conditions. WE invent the conditions in our thoughts about everything!

Christian
17th June 2005, 07:40 PM
I didn't believe in God. Until I started to awaken spiritually and realising that there is a force that creates from chaos. If I have that power, to create myself from chaos (which i have done during a heavy crisis including kundalini awakening), then there must be a force that has created all that is because, I don't think the universe(s) is created by mere accident.

And I think it's possible to love unconditionally, but then as Tom said one must start with loving oneself unconditionally. I've started doing that but I think I have a quite long way to go before i can say that I love everyone unconditionally.

I think one of the ways as mentioned earlier to be able to love unconditionally is to start develop the chakras and preparing the energy body and then awakening the powerful serpent of fire, Kundalini.

Donald McGlinn
17th June 2005, 07:52 PM
I had a problem with the use of the title God for many years as it had religous overtones for me.

When I decided that God wasn't religion, I found that I no longer had that issue.

However, having said that I sometimes forget that others out there have a problem with that title, or even the concept of God.

If you read a post of mine that has God in it, perhaps read universal consciousness or some other title or concept you are comfortable with.

I am sorry if my post made anyone uncomfortable, it wasn't intended.

Donald

kole
18th June 2005, 02:51 PM
Hello all,
I would like to to make some comments on the subject.
The most important:
Unconditional love is not only a feeling,so you can't say I love you unconditionally or I love myself unconditionally. More it's a state of the being (or better, other dimension ),so when you are in that state (in that dimension) you are love,and everything is love and there is nothing else but love.
If somebody ask you "who you are?" your answer probably will be "I'm love".
The world will be as it is now but there is something more that we can't see it now (with a reason). What we can't see now is the connection between all,there is no separation, there is no me and you,all is one,and you will see that very clear. There will be no more questions in your mind about anything,because you will know all,you will see "the big picture".
What you will be doing is mainly enjoying in the peace,love,happiness,the bliss.

Gemma
19th June 2005, 05:11 AM
Remember that God create us, to his form and resemblance.

I've just had a strange thought when I read the above quote (my thought is probably unrelated to the topic, sorry) - who or what created God in the first place? I guess we'll never know the answer to that.

Back on topic! Whoever said that we need to learn to love ourselves unconditionally in order to love others unconditionally is correct, but this can be one of the hardest things to do, especially under difficult circumstances. I guess this is where part of spiritual growth can be achieved.

Tom
19th June 2005, 07:08 AM
That is why I thought that studying the opposite of unconditional love might be such a good idea. I believe that this opposite is unconditional fear and it is much more common.

Donald McGlinn
19th June 2005, 08:54 AM
Hi Tom,

Have you considered the view that if you study something long enough, even if you know nothing about it in the first place, you have a far greater chance of understanding it than if you study it's opposite?

Science is a classic example. In the last 100 years, science has developed technologies that in the beginning were unknown and more importantly, probably unthought of too. What we take for granted today was mere science fiction 100 years ago.

If we apply the same determination and resources to studying Unconditional Love, isn't it possible we could gain a clearer understanding of it than if our focus was on Fear?

:)

Donald

Tom
19th June 2005, 07:17 PM
If I didn't think that we needed to know about fear to study love I would not say so. There are reasons why unconditional love is so rarely expressed and yet irrational fear is so common. Studying only the love pole and ignoring fear is like trying to study ice in an active volcano.

Tom
19th June 2005, 07:38 PM
Fear can only last as long as we don't look at it too closely.

tyciol
19th June 2005, 07:55 PM
I believe that to give unconditional love to someone, I would have to give up the ability to judge them.

I am unwilling to do this... and yet I still envy some of those who can love unconditionally, while others who do it I pity or despise. I guess it's all about what they're in love with and what they do with it that makes me choose whether or not I agree with it...

For example, I love Rock Lee's unconditional love for Sakura, or the guy in Tsubasa Chronicle's unconditional love for Sakura, or my own unconditional love for Cardcaptor Sakura, but I don't like people's unconditional love for other humans or for a god figure.

Donald McGlinn
19th June 2005, 07:58 PM
Hi Tom,

So if I understand you correctly, you are saying that by studying fear we will erradicate it, thereby encouraging Love in it's place?

Donald

Tom
19th June 2005, 07:59 PM
Unconditional love is not about the person it is given to. It is like the sun which gives light to both good and bad and it is like the rain which falls on everyone. It feels good to express unconditional love. Having other people around to soak it up is just coincidental and entirely beside the point.

Tom
19th June 2005, 08:02 PM
That's what I've been trying to say since page 1, yes, when fear is gone is stops blocking out love. You do not have to create love or any other absolute. You just have to uncover it.

Donald McGlinn
19th June 2005, 08:04 PM
Hi Tom :)

My apologies for only just getting it :)

Your approach makes sense.

Donald

Chris
29th June 2005, 12:34 PM
I think that we do love unconditionally, but we might not be aware of it in our current form. There is much more to us than we could ever dream. The old adage 'we are one' doesn't really get the point across. We really are all the same thing. We can never seperate, and that is unconditional love.
I know people will talk about hate or negative emotions or acts, but when one looks outside this physical locale then we see that death is not a barrier, negative emotions are simply human mind interpretations (misinterpretations?) of something more. Or something which could possibly be interpreted in another way if circumstances/viewpoint changed.

Unconditional love really is everywhere, we just have to learn how to see it or 'tune' into it.

Storm
4th July 2005, 02:57 AM
That is a great question, and one that, for me, means allowing others to be exactly who they are without my placing any limitations on what that may be. Accepting them unconditionally, while being there for them if they seek a shoulder to lean on. :D

Chris
5th July 2005, 03:01 PM
Last night at work a really scary person came in, he is known for having once beaten a woman and kicked her head in for no apparent reason. He has also been to prison for a violent crime. His manner of speech is very intimidating, he looks fixedly in your eyes with a leery, sadistic grin. I offended him by incorrectly shaking his hand when he offered it. The energy around this person felt volatile, if we had done or said anything he would have flipped out at us, I can be sure of that.

When you come face to face with such a violent, uncaring and sadistic person, you can't help but wonder if the concept of universal love and one-ness of all is sometimes taken out of context. If the universe is pure love and we are all connected as one, why would it express a part of itself in such a human being? Is the universe having an identity crisis or something?

I think an answer to this regards how we view the universe through a human build mindset and belief system. When we think of God and Oneness, we try to paint it with Love and happy emotions. But oneness encompasses everything possible. I believe emotions can be likened to bands of energy, each can be tapped into. Why have negative energy/emotions? I think they occur naturally as the universe plays out every possibility to learn of itself. Just as in a river you can have fast flowing parts, you can also have sluggish backwaters which seem to fester and stink. yet they still are part of the river, and they do harness life.
Negative, evilness etc are truly relative to the observer. If one was born into a society where ritual sacrifice was a norm, we would not view such a practice as evil.
I also believe that the universe is indifferent to our current predicaments on the whole. We are a part of everything going on, all at the same time. Death is not absolute, so even the seeming fear it creates in us (conditioned) physical beings is not important on the whole. If you were to watch a group of children playing a game, and they truly believed if they lost they would be gone forever, would you share their fear too? Or would you see it as a game, and if they lost, they carry on. You might be concerned for their fear, or try to alleviate it. But the situation causing their fear isn't bad or evil. Its just a misunderstanding of their current state.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that even what some percieve to be bad, others percieve to be good, and beuty can be found everywhere if we do not allow animal based emotion to overwhelm us. If we keep in mind the knowledge that we can never die, nothing can truely harm us or destroy us, we see the world differently. Negative, possitive, good, bad, its all relative.

Chris
5th July 2005, 03:12 PM
Yeh that makes sense, the universe is impartial and just trying to broaden its experience. This is something I've known and even experienced before, but sometimes fear gets the better of me, especially when I meet unpredictable people in the flesh.

I agree that the world can be very scary sometimes, but I try and see the bigger picture (that of the true nature of existence). I also think the idea of an indifferent universe can be very scary too if you have been brought up with the idea of a loving father like God - but the freedom one gains from dropping limiting belief systems is very liberating too.

Chris
5th July 2005, 04:13 PM
I grew up believing in science and rational thinking, so the main challenge for me has been moving out of the comfort zone of the physical reality and coming to terms with the bigger picture.

Dito :) I work in the science field, and read avidly in it too.
I've noticed that the change in my mindset has been a very gradual thing. I deduce certain things, and as time goes on these 'mini enlightenments' cause a slight shift in my view of reality. Decades of this slight change has built a much changed reality view.

dslandolfe
4th September 2007, 01:29 PM

Mishell
4th September 2007, 02:21 PM
Donald McGlinn Wrote:

I was chatting to a friend last week, and she posed a question to me that was very profound.

I have put it inside a post elsewhere on the forum, but I felt it needed it's own post.

The question is;

As a question, it has so many levels and is very insightful.

Any thoughts?

I would say that every bias would vanish in that instant and you would understand that there is no difference between that person and yourself.

I think this has to be done *before* it is even possible to give unconditional love.

Removing biases and the illusion of seperateness takes a lot of work. It cannot be attained in an instant, but gradually. Over time one will notice that the quality of his or her relationships change. The dynamic will be different, will become more perfect. The degree of change is directly related to the amount of focus we put into our intent to remove these attitudes that cause us to see eachother as seperate. But, there is only so much we can acheive while in these bodies.

It is still the effort that will make all the difference. Focused intent. (As opposed to the unfocused kind . :wink: )

blacktiger057
4th September 2007, 10:22 PM
Hmmm...well, I haven't met anyone who I love unconditionally yet...it would be nice to eventually have that though, but the chances are unfortunately rather slim.

Well, I think that to love someone unconditionally, you would first have to love yourself unconditionally. If you don't respect and love yourself, how can you love others?

To love someone that much, you'd have to be really happy to. Because happiness is connected to love in many ways.

Do I think it is possible to have unconditional love for someone? No, but only because in all relationships there are good times and bad ones. Your love is tested everyday, and it is unrealistic to never be angry at someone you love, and anger can make us act without thinking....So, that is why I say that no human is capable of unconditional love.

CFTraveler
4th September 2007, 10:31 PM
Hmmm...well, I haven't met anyone who I love unconditionally yet...it would be nice to eventually have that though, but the chances are unfortunately rather slim.

Well, I think that to love someone unconditionally, you would first have to love yourself unconditionally. If you don't respect and love yourself, how can you love others?

To love someone that much, you'd have to be really happy to. Because happiness is connected to love in many ways.

Do I think it is possible to have unconditional love for someone? No, but only because in all relationships there are good times and bad ones. Your love is tested everyday, and it is unrealistic to never be angry at someone you love, and anger can make us act without thinking....So, that is why I say that no human is capable of unconditional love. I think you're confusing 'being happy with' with loving someone. I'd still love my son even if he turned into a serial killer, but I wouldn't be happy with his choice of careers. I think our society confuses things that are not love with love, like 'being happy with', or sex, as we already know. But love is about wanting the best for someone else, regardless on the emotional outcome on us. If it depends on the outcome, it ain't love. (IMO :lol: )

blacktiger057
4th September 2007, 10:53 PM
I think you're confusing 'being happy with' with loving someone. I'd still love my son even if he turned into a serial killer, but I wouldn't be happy with his choice of careers. I think our society confuses things that are not love with love, like 'being happy with', or sex, as we already know. But love is about wanting the best for someone else, regardless on the emotional outcome on us. If it depends on the outcome, it ain't love. (IMO :lol: )

Oh, CF, you are right :) . Yep, I read that back and that's exactly what I did. Love has so many definitions that it does get rather confusing sometimes. I like your defintion "love is about wanting the best for someone else, regardless on the emotional outcome on us." I think that is perfect. It's hard, though, because I consider love the hardest emotion to describe using words.

Well, I guess it is possible to love someone unconditionally afterall. I have to say, I think the person that I love most in my life right now is my six year old sister(not in the kissing way or anything like that). I can't even think what I'd do if something happened to her. She fell in the pool and I was like crying for a week because I got so scared.

I don't think it's unconditional, but I think my love for her is pretty close.

journyman161
4th September 2007, 11:32 PM
The English language may be at fault - we have a large range of words for things to do with violence, there are lexicons to deal with the terms for control & manipulation, but we have 'love' to describe a vast array of feelings that range from how we feel about that hamburger to the depth of feeling that allows one to give up their life to save others. There are probably hundreds of levels of feeling in between those 2 states (& indeed, the level of self-sacrifice may only be my limited understanding of the greatest love) but our language gives us one 4-letter word to use for them all.

Mishell
5th September 2007, 01:21 AM
I think "love" in unconditional love is more closely related to compassion than to how I feel about hamburgers. :wink:

Serenity
16th September 2007, 09:38 AM
I think you're confusing 'being happy with' with loving someone. I'd still love my son even if he turned into a serial killer, but I wouldn't be happy with his choice of careers. I think our society confuses things that are not love with love, like 'being happy with', or sex, as we already know. But love is about wanting the best for someone else, regardless on the emotional outcome on us. If it depends on the outcome, it ain't love. (IMO :lol: )

Well if that's the definition, then I don't need to change to love unconditionally, as I already do.

To love more people unconditionally, I think there are things in my past I would need to go back over and accept. A sort of Final Confession to myself.