PDA

View Full Version : very strong pain in the muladhara chakra??

workinprogress
10th January 2006, 03:35 PM
A brief energy history before I explain my experiences:

I had done some of RB's energy practices a few years ago, but nothing consistent. While I could sense the energy and move it around, I felt more drawn towards yoga and Qi Gong. I began doing yoga and meditation daily. And gradually got to the point where I preferred simply meditating. I began Zan Zhong Qi Gong a few months ago (called Standing like a Tree). I am gradually working up to this and I'm only at the second position now. So I'm going slowly.

Recurring experience:
Occasionally over the past few years, I will experience this very strong, very painful energy surge in my base chakra. It seems to happen for no apparent reason. Sometimes it will wake me from sleep, sometimes I will be walking through the house when it starts. It feels like a very deep throbbing emanating from the base and extending up to almost my stomach. Its so painful I can't walk or stand or even sit. I need to lie on my side. I also get strong waves of nausea as the energy throbs. Its almost as if the energy is somehow touching/affecting my stomach. If I can lie down and lie still, the pain will usually dissipate after 15-20 minutes. But if I stand at all during this time, it increases again.

I also realize that pain is a relative term. So let me add that I am a woman who has 3 children, two of them were completely natural child births. And this energy pain is very much like the stage of labor where you start pushing, except that there's no urge to push.

Has anyone experienced this or have any thoughts on what's causing it?

Thanks!

EOL007
10th January 2006, 07:38 PM
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear of your occasional discomfort. Obviously consult with your health practitioner/GP if this becomes a more regular issue for you. As a man I can't imagine the pain ladies endure with childbirth, but have had a period of acute and a period of chronic pain in the past.

It may be possible that your experience is base centre activity/kundalini related - considering that you have varied exposure to energy work and other practices (note: some authors state that kundalini activity does not by necessity require specific practice to occur and can happen spontaneously regardless).

You may have heard of kundalini spikes - something I have experienced (probably) in the past! What you describe sounds similar! In my case, although they were not painful, they were very noticeable and took time to subside. Your description however does marry up with my own.

The cause for spikes and other kundalini symptoms has been debated at length on other forums, but you may find it useful to read for example:

http://www.kundalini-gateway.org/index.html

What you will find is that you are not alone with your experience... it's more common than one might think!

Best,

Stephen

CFTraveler
10th January 2006, 10:11 PM
I have that ocassional stabbing pain also, but I'm pretty sure it's not Kundalini- It's just random energy fluctuations or something like that.

sash
11th January 2006, 04:15 AM
I used to get this a lot .. lay off the energy work if it is too painful .. focus on physical reality rather than spiritual. There are other countermeasures that are available, the site EOL007 provided should list some .. if not there might be some threads here with some.

I got this about a year ago. Except in my case it was kundalini or kundalini spikes for sure, but its difficult to tell based on each individual experience - however based on my experience I think it is probable that you are experiencing that too.

In my case by focusing on the sensations I was able to rise the energy up, but I was not ready and had to stop .. I haven't had any experiences that intense to date.

I was also going to suggest perhaps work on the higher centers to balance out the energy. But do this only if you feel ready, because all chakras are interconnected and it will probably cause each chakra to increase in activity even if you are working on just one.

workinprogress
11th January 2006, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I suspected it may be kundalini spikes, but was sort of hoping it was something else. I've felt strong energy flowing freely through me before and its always rather pleasant, like a warm tingling, buzzing sensation.

As I mentioned before, I haven't been doing any energy work for a few years. And then it wasn't anything intense, just some light NEW stuff, nothing on the major chakras though. Now the only "energy work" I do, if you can call it that, is just noticing the flow of energy. I don't try to direct it or increase it or anything like that.

I have heard that kundalini can happen spontaneously, but I also know this wasn't a "full kundalini", for lack of better words. Since I had no twisting sensations, no rushing sounds, and it certainly didn't get past my manipura chakra.

That's actually what I think may be the problem. At first, the spikes were sharp and severe, but didn't go quite as high. They seem to be reaching higher whenever it happens. The past 3 times (the last one being on Sunday of this week) I could feel like it was almost touching/reaching my stomach. And I think maybe I have some blockages there or something and that's why I'm getting the nausea. I'm guessing here, as I've never actually felt a blockage so I'm not sure what they feel like. But it seems to be gradually spiking up and working through things as it comes to them.

And I could be reading way too much in to this.. :roll:

But I haven't been actively trying to raise it. I've read enough to know I don't want to mess with it unless I feel I'm ready it ........ or it feels I'm ready it. :wink:

stargazer
12th January 2006, 03:09 AM
I've heard that some types of yoga can stimulate spontaneous kundalini spikes and in the case of one diehard yogi acquaintance, the beginning of a kundalini rising during a yoga retreat that he was not ready for... and he luckly had his teacher present who was able to help him stop it from continuing so that it wouldn't paralyze him. Yikes! :shock: :D

Aunt Clair
12th January 2006, 05:59 PM
It could be a number of things but I agree with Sash , balance will only help .

To balance , you could try deep cleansing breathing of energy from crown down to try to purge energy out of the rear of the heart and from your feet .

If it is energy built up in the male tan tien ,this can be eased by using up the energy to meditate , heal or to project for example .Just draw it up to your heart to send it down thru your palms to heal . You can also lie down and use the excess energy to vibrate out and OBE .

If it is kundalini ,then sitting in regular meditation until this event passes should allow it to come up naturally and smoothly . Qi Chong does bring up energy especially if you are breathing yoga bandha locks in conjunction with Qi Chong . Suppose you ask your Yoga and Qi Chong teachers for advice esp re blockages and breathing to balance and purge .

Psychically when the root chakra throbs it can mean" home in danger" . Although , this may not be so in your case . I had similar symptoms and could feel waves of energy emanating from the red chakra also on the arvo before Sept 11 2001 . My spiritual mentor explained that the red chakra throbs like that when homeland is in danger in some psychics . She said she had had visions that something bad was going to happen in NYC and that I felt it too because that was the land of my birth ( We were both in Australia then .) Since then when it is painful as you described , I look to the relatives at "home" and see what is going on there. The root chakra played up when New Orleans died too . And I prayed and white lighted the area in loving intentions. It can't hurt .

You could also consult a doctor again if it continues to play up and make sure there is nothing wrong healthwise .

Finally a blockage of energy could cause this too . To clear blockages , you can try yoga , drink lots of water and learn pranic breathing .You can learn to deep clean and purge . You can use NEW in that area concentrating on releasing energy instead of bringing it in and building it up .

Here is a link :
http://groups.msn.com/AlchemicalFlame/s ... hotoID=137 (http://groups.msn.com/AlchemicalFlame/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=137)

workinprogress
12th January 2006, 06:29 PM
Thanks a bunch for the info.

I have a question a few questions:

Sash - you mention that by focusing on the energy you could make it rise. My very limited knowledge of kundalini was that it was uncontrollable. In other words, unlike "regular" energy that you can move and guide and increase/decrease. I thought kundalini was the primal source and meant for cleansing the energy body automatically so to speak. Are you saying that when this occurs again, I should be able to control it? I hadn't tried at all. Whenever it occurs, I simply let it do its thing.

Aunt Clair - I'm fairly certain there are no danger signs associated with it. I haven't had any tragedies/traumas that corresponded with the experiences to date. And the next time this occurs, I'll try and sit in half lotus (my normal meditation pose) and see if that helps at all.

Something just hit me though as I'm typing this out. And I should probably post a warning first

:!: :!: Any men who are easily made uncomfortable probably shouldn't read what's next :!: :!:

I hadn't connected the two until just now, but often times during menstruation I will feel a constant, mild throbbing in the root chakra as well. This usually just occurs during the first few days. Its noticible when I stand, but sitting or lying down it usually goes away. Would energy be affected by a woman's cycle? I'm not sure I see the connection myself, but I thought I'd ask those with more experience in this area.

Thanks again for all of the advice!

CFTraveler
12th January 2006, 08:14 PM
Have you been checked out for endometriosis?

BTW,

Any men who are easily made uncomfortable probably shouldn't read what's next

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
The smileys just didn't convey my reaction :wink:

workinprogress
12th January 2006, 09:45 PM
The smileys just didn't convey my reaction

Well, I was actually being serious. I didn't want to embarrass anyone unintentionally. Most men I know just get obviously embarrassed or uncomfortable even when watching a tampon commercial. I know my husband, who ironically enough is in the medical field, is the same way. He "really prefers not to discuss it casually". In other words, if there's a physical problem fine, but he hates hearing women discuss anything related to it. And our other male friends tend to concur.

....but I'm glad the women got a chuckle out of it. :lol:

As for the endometriosis, nope, I'm physically completely healthy. And the pain isn't intestinal or uterine. Its definately from the perineum (sp) and nothing else hurts inside, its just really strong sharp pain shooting up.

CFTraveler
13th January 2006, 01:30 AM
My first thought was adhesions, so I thought I'd suggest it.
I found the warning extra funny because I used to work with men (years ago, in the electronics field) and I was the only woman in the room with about 12 men. Well, the only thing they talked about was football and women. (The gross details, mind you.) So I'd get back at them by talking about periods and those kind of things. Their reactions were hilarious- it was almost too funny. Only guys with sisters could handle it.

sash
13th January 2006, 02:51 AM
Sash - you mention that by focusing on the energy you could make it rise. My very limited knowledge of kundalini was that it was uncontrollable. In other words, unlike "regular" energy that you can move and guide and increase/decrease. I thought kundalini was the primal source and meant for cleansing the energy body automatically so to speak. Are you saying that when this occurs again, I should be able to control it? I hadn't tried at all. Whenever it occurs, I simply let it do its thing.

Hi

The difference is, at the time it was my pure intention to rise kundalini, and I started to achieved that - only to realize that my energy body was not ready enough to handle it.

I am not sure if you can do the reverse .. but as I said if you start doing intensely physical things (stay away from yoga tho) it will probably stop it from rising.

Focusing on any energy seems to just make it expand .. but then again I guess it depends on how good you are at NEW or another energy manipulation technique. It couldn't hurt to try to control it anyhow unless you see that it is making things worse.

It might be best to let it complete the cleansing process, but I would aid it in doing so to avoid some of the pain. By this I mean attempt to do direct energy work on your navel or areas on which it will rise to help clear blocks and make it a smoother journey.

I'm not quite sure how else to answer .. perhaps someone else has a more appropriate response. This is one of those threads that you wish Robert Bruce was around to answer.

workinprogress
13th January 2006, 03:54 PM
It might be best to let it complete the cleansing process

Actually Sash, that is my intention as well. While I wasn't purposefully trying to induce it, I don't necessarily want to stop it if its occuring naturally. My current frame of mind is that when I'm ready, it will occur. And I haven't been doing anything intensely to try and 'jump-start it' so to speak, but rather with the focus of preparing myself.

My yoga has been really sporadic (I practice maybe twice a month now). I'm only spending about 15 minutes doing Qi Gong each day. And this style of Qi Gong is a 'standing still-breathing normally-observing your body' style. There is no visualization or pranayama or any intended effects. Its more meditative. And that's all I've been doing. So I don't think this is too much.

I'm not real familiar with energy work, barring the basics I got from Astral Dynamics. But I went back to my copy and glanced through, I couldn't find a section on blockages and how to clean them.

So, for a really dumb question for you guys, exactly how do you unblock energy?? :?:

I mean is it simply a matter of meditating/focusing on the chakra; or
Do you work with visualizating and white light somehow cleansing it; or
Do you imaging knots that are becoming untangled; or
Do you draw energy in and out of the chakra?

I have no clue! :oops: ANd if its in Astral Dynamics somewhere, just let me know and I'll read it, but I couldn't find it when I looked this morning.

Thanks a bunch!

sash
13th February 2006, 02:43 PM
I mean is it simply a matter of meditating/focusing on the chakra; or
Do you work with visualizating and white light somehow cleansing it; or
Do you imaging knots that are becoming untangled; or
Do you draw energy in and out of the chakra?

That is an excellent start. :)

How are things going now, still the same situation?