PDA

View Full Version : "Meditation" by Kamalashila

Korpo
31st March 2009, 07:28 AM
Sometimes I pick up a book expecting to find something in it...

Recently I wanted to learn more about the jhanas, higher states of consciousness described by the Buddha. While I repeatedly found the names and descriptions like "neither-perception-nor-non-perception" I did not find useful descriptions of "getting there."

Something made me pick up this book I bought a year ago. It is a rather comprehensive meditation guide, describing many Buddhist practices of mindfulness, concentration and lovingkindness. It's funny because I even dreamed about this book a while ago, but in the dream it was way thicker. Maybe a sign of how full of goodies it is... ;)

Inside I found the best description of the jhanas and how to get there so far. Really good. I mean, when you read books like "The Meditative Mind" by Goleman you might start to think that the jhanas are super-human feats to achieve. Kamalashila suggests otherwise.

His description of "access concentration" is easy and practical. It is range of experience of "slightly less hindrances" till "almost no hindrances, almost in jhana." Whenever we feel the burden lessen in meditation, whenever we feel it is going way easier, less distractions arise, then we start to move into access concentration, which can be cultivated further and further. Alone this definition is a gem - instead of calling it a definite state, it becomes a spectrum of experience that way more people can relate to.

Similar he describes the first jhana - a state where all hindrances fall away. He proceeds to mention that people can experience the happiness of the first jhana even during waking consciousness. Also, there is of course a difference between "skipping over a state" - spending a short time in there without being able to sustain it - and the full attainment of a state. But at least people can relate to this description.

And for the second jhana - a state of "vertical integration" - when things deeper in the psyche begin to align, archetypical symbols, sudden inspiration and knowledge. Again - many people skip through this state in meditation or while being really in an all-concentrated effort (he names talented artists as an example).

I found these descriptions profoundly useful. Just last Sunday I had a very good experience of access concentration. I was feeling a greater ease of mind, expansive, distractions still arose but were easier to deal with. I recognised a restlessness or desire to move out of this state but did not heed it. I dwelled longer. Then, at some point, when this hindrance became to strong, I left the state. But it was a more peaceful, restful experience. A step towards peace of mind.

Now here is where the book becomes even more useful - introducing the "jhana factors." As hindrances arise and are recognised, each has a remedy the practitioner can focus on developing in order to overcome the hindrance. For anxiety and restlessness the practitioner could focus on peace, the reward of this effort would be bliss. Bliss is the contentment and satisfaction that cancels out restlessness, the feeling of "having found" that cancels the nagging feeling of wanting to be somewhere else.

I am convinced that I have experienced the first two jhanas in meditation, too, if only for short periods. When everything comes together with ease I think that was another short skip through the jhanas. This new information makes them seem less intimidating and gives me more motivation to pursue them. Also now I know what sometimes happens to me.

That alone would make this book a gem, but there is way more in there. :)

Oliver

Tom
31st March 2009, 08:48 AM
The jhanas are a sort of out-of-body experience in Buddhism in that your body remains in the "desire realm" while your mind is in the "world of pure form". The five hindrances are ways of keeping your senses and your awareness stuck in the body and firmly in the "desire realm". The jhana factors encourage you to gradually let go, so that your mind can enter the higher realms without being pulled back instinctively. I would suggest picking a meditation object that you enjoy and using an approach like phasing to work with it.

I liked the book you are talking about, too.

Even if you do not use metta as a meditation object, it is helpful to generate it at the beginning of every practice session and several times during the day. It is useful as an "antidote" to "poisons". This does not mean that you can do crazy things like drinking gasoline and get away with it; the "poisons" it is the "antidote" to are the mental and emotional obstacles blocking access to deeper meditation.

Korpo
31st March 2009, 09:10 AM
The jhanas are a sort of out-of-body experience in Buddhism in that your body remains in the "desire realm" while your mind is in the "world of pure form".

I had this suspicion, too, when I read about "floating sensations." :)

Oliver