PDA

View Full Version : Enlightening quotes. Post here.

12th January 2006, 04:54 AM
Iv'e noticed that enlighting quotes help me through my days, and I would like to here some of your best ones.

I think by doing this it will help people through there days, and it is a good way to get these quotes into our heads. Which will lead to everyone having a great day!

PLUS, as we all know positive enrergy is what makes good thing happen, so if you want to post your enlighting quotes, post them here please!!!
It will make a diffrence in someones life.

G'day everyone :D .

Heres mine...

" You can't go through life expecting to live the same day twice".

Chris
12th January 2006, 05:32 AM
Not a quote as such, but a website with some pretty good quotes on (especially the weird stuff):

http://www.generationterrorists.com/index_quotes.shtml

oath
12th January 2006, 08:00 AM
"Heave the silver hollow sliver
Piercing through another victim
Turn and tremble be judgmental
Ignorant to all the symbols
Blind the face with beauty paste
Eventually you'll one day know"
- Wasteland, Ten years (song)

...and even when your hope is gone, move along move along, like you know you should... cause everything will be just fine, move along move along like I know you would..move along
-song (forgot artist and band :oops: I think all american rejects)

sash
12th January 2006, 09:17 AM
Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes

13th January 2006, 05:36 AM
“If the people were a little more ignorant, astrology would flourish - if a little more enlightened, religion would perish”

13th January 2006, 05:37 AM
Oh and heres some good ones from Albert Einstein.

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love."
"I want to know God's thoughts; the rest are details."
"The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax."
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
"The only real valuable thing is intuition."
"A person starts to live when he can live outside himself."
"I am convinced that He (God) does not play dice."
"God is subtle but he is not malicious."
"Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character."
"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough."
"The eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility."
"Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing."
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."

CFTraveler
13th January 2006, 02:02 PM
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

oath
13th January 2006, 08:41 PM
Jesus was an unusually cheerful person, but he was not a blind and unreasoning optimist....

let the truth be known, though the heavens fall

Play the game by their rules. Beat them...Then the next time you play, play by your terms

There are no laws, but gods laws

Always question yourself before others, don't be quick to point the finger

In the ears of a fool do not speak for he will scorn the wisdom of your words.

Faith is not blind, nor are you to its presence

sash
14th January 2006, 01:37 AM
"As a lotus flower is born in water, grows in water only to rise out of water and stand above it unsoiled, so shall I, born in the world, raised in the world, having overcome the world, one day live unsoiled by the world"

Jerico
14th January 2006, 03:26 AM
If desire is the ledge you are reaching for, then attachment is the ledge you’re already standing on.

…Come down off the cliff before you hurt yourself.

CFTraveler
19th January 2006, 08:07 PM
Took me awhile, but I got a couple:

Circumstances do not make the man -- they reveal him. -- James Allen

Dismiss whatever insults your soul. -- Walt Whitman

Dragon's Daughter
19th January 2006, 08:31 PM
Why memorize something that you can look up? - Einstein

Don't b!tch about something that you aren't willing to do something about.

Those that live in 'glass houses' should not throw stones.

Complaining doesn't solve a problem without action.

Intelligent people do not get bored. (What you want to say to every teenager that utters "I'm bored!")

--I'm sure I'll remember some more later...

Beekeeper
19th January 2006, 09:59 PM
Not enlightening but funny:

On (poet and comedian) Spike Milligan's tombstone-

"See I told you I was sick."

CFTraveler
20th January 2006, 12:10 AM

I'm enlightened by your sense of humor. :lol:

20th January 2006, 12:16 AM

I'm enlightened by your sense of humor. :lol:

Funny how everything works out.

nparker
20th January 2006, 03:21 AM
"When student is ready (from a maturity viewpoint), then Master will appear".

Previous quote leads myself to ask if following (from mine) is true or not...

"When student is ready (from a maturity viewpoint), then knowledge becomes clear to him" (otherwise it is obscure and hardly understandable)

Sincerely,
Natalia Parker

Aunt Clair
20th January 2006, 08:43 AM
======================AIR======================

KNOW SELF
"Within you there is a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself "-Siddhartha (a story about young Buddha )by Herman Hesse

"Ask, and it will be given you. Seek, and you will find. Knock, and it will be opened for you. For everyone who asks ,receives. He who seeks finds. To him who knocks it will be opened.-Christ

BE SELF
If you want to reach for your goals just hitch your wagon to the stars -anon often quoted by my grandma
Everyone who lives dies but not everyone who dies lives. -anon
Have faith not fear .Fear is False Evidence Assumed Real .-anon
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears the tune of a different drummer. Let him march to the music he hears, however measured or far away."--Thoreau

CONQUER SELF
It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell. -Buddha

====================FIRE========================

SHARING LIGHT
Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace. -
Buddha

The lamp of the body is the eye. If therefore your eye is sound, your whole body will be full of light.-Christ

Gift us of your talents
for use they were made
what is a sundial
in the shade ?-anon

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared. -Buddha

Even so, let your light shine before men; that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.-Christ

Why does the dead ball moon shining with stolen light have more power on earth than the vastly larger self luminescent stars? - Sai Baba

Be the moon or be a star , but find your light and shine -me

==================EARTH =======================

SUFFERING
"Without pain, there would be no suffering, without suffering we would never learn from our mistakes. To make it right, pain and suffering is the key to all windows, without it, there is no way of life." Angelina Jolie

I believe in God , the devil can believe in himself .I have no time for him .-my granddaddy

I dont have time for prejudice against any group of humans , I have to hate people one at a time -my husband

Hatred is anger turned inside oneself towards destruction and oblivion
hate no one especially not yourself -anon

You always seem to be on the ♥♥♥♥ty end of the stick . And you know ,maybe that is why you are so much better off than the rest . It is far better to be on the ♥♥♥♥ty end of the stick in life, then to be the one who is poking a stick . If you hold a stick yourself , you cannot escape the telltale stench and you bring shyte and destruction upon yourself . But if you are innocent and seek only to escape its filth then angels will gather you up and your life shall be truly blessed . So stop feeling sorry for yourself and dont go pokin' the stinky stick yourself . -my stepfather

All that we are is the result of what we have thought. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him.
-Buddha

Every human being is the author of his own health or disease. -Buddha

=====================WATER====================

LOVE
Love , love is the answer - Beatles

Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it. -Sai Baba

Love is only what you make of it , so make the most of it and never give up -me

Love is patient and is kind; love doesn't envy. Love doesn't brag, is not proud doesn't behave itself inappropriately, doesn't seek its own way, is not provoked, takes no account of evil; 1 Corinthians13:5

But I tell you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who mistreat you and persecute you, that you may be children of your Father who is in heaven. ...
For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have?-Christ

This is my commandment love one another as I have loved you -Christ

terra incognita
22nd January 2006, 12:04 AM
"There is absolutely no justice in a single lifetime."
me 2006

"Those stupid robots didn't need to hook up all of humanity to an energy generating machine, just the two-year olds."

me after watching Matrix with nephew 2004

"Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances."

toothless carnie by POP THE BALLOON

"Without your body you can't get into your ATM"

cynical comment from unconvinced relative

"I don't have to run faster than the bear, just faster than you."

man with no friends

"I see." Said the blind man to the deaf man on the telephone

????????

"Only the good die young."

was it Mark Twain?

but I say..........

"Only the good die young at heart."

Sorry, I just couldn't plumb any deep ones just surface chatter.
Must....do....more......mind........taming....

oath
22nd January 2006, 12:17 AM
"Only the good die young."

was it Mark Twain?

but I say..........

"Only the good die young at heart."

Sorry, I just couldn't plumb any deep ones just surface chatter.
Must....do....more......mind........taming....

I can relate to that one...

love your name btw. Terra as in earth/gaia correct?

Sachiel
22nd January 2006, 12:33 AM
Stand, O penniless Beggar, and rejoice! For nothingness is bliss compared to the pretan hell which awaits those who are owned by thier possessions.

~My Subconscious (scary, ain't it? Sounds like the Bible)

terra incognita
5th February 2006, 03:59 AM
I'm sorry I didn't answer sooner Oath. Yes, I grew fond of the idea of a new earth or land inside of us waiting to be explored. Thus the name "a hidden land" or "an unknown place".

*My eyes fixed upon the light
from the doorway at the end of the hall.
Bright did it shine like no other
portal so liminal.
Alas, to my left another
door but this one so much darker.
And I was lost in my dreams
before I knew it was
another chance gone.*

Jonathan2525
7th February 2006, 09:27 AM
Hello all,

Here are a few more from Albert Einstein, these are very important in understanding the previous quotes from him in this thread. It is impossible to understand Einstein's "spirituality" if you do no first understand that he did not believe in the supernatural, he did not believe in God (as a supernatural spirit), and he did not believe in the survival of the soul after physical death. Without knowing this, his quotes and mentions of God and Religion can be confused with the common usage of the terms, then the whole point he was trying to make is lost.

“I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotisms.”
-- Albert Einstein, obituary in New York Times, 19 April 1955

“Strange is our situation here on Earth. Each of us comes for a short visit, not knowing why, yet sometimes seeming to divine a purpose. From the standpoint of daily life, however, there is one thing we do know: that man is here for the sake of other men -- above all for those upon whose smiles and well-being our own happiness depends.”
-- Albert Einstein, quoted from James A. Haught, ed., 2000 Years of Disbelief, p. 241

“I do not believe in immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it.”
-- Albert Einstein, 1954, from Albert Einstein: The Human Side, edited by Helen Dukas and Banesh Hoffman, Princeton University Press

“A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.”
-- Albert Einstein, "Religion and Science," New York Times Magazine, 9 November 1930

“I cannot conceive of a personal God who would directly influence the actions of individuals, or would directly sit in judgment on creatures of his own creation. I cannot do this in spite of the fact that mechanistic causality has, to a certain extent, been placed in doubt by modern science. [He was speaking of Quantum Mechanics and the breaking down of determinism.] My religiosity consists in a humble admiration of the infinitely superior spirit that reveals itself in the little that we, with our weak and transitory understanding, can comprehend of reality. Morality is of the highest importance -- but for us, not for God.”
-- Albert Einstein, from Albert Einstein: The Human Side, edited by Helen Dukas and Banesh Hoffman, Princeton University Press

“I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his creatures, or has a will of the kind that we experience in ourselves. Neither can I nor would I want to conceive of an individual that survives his physical death; let feeble souls, from fear or absurd egoism, cherish such thoughts. I am satisfied with the mystery of the eternity of life and with the awareness and a glimpse of the marvelous structure of the existing world, together with the devoted striving to comprehend a portion, be it ever so tiny, of the Reason that manifests itself in nature.”
-- Albert Einstein, The World as I See It

“The mystical trend of our time, which shows itself particularly in the rampant growth of the so-called Theosophy and Spiritualism, is for me no more than a symptom of weakness and confusion. Since our inner experiences consist of reproductions, and combinations of sensory impressions, the concept of a soul without a body seem to me to be empty and devoid of meaning.”
-- Albert Einstein, quoted in Madalyn Murray O'Hair, All the Questions You Ever Wanted to Ask American Atheists (1982) vol. ii., p. 29

I find Einstein’s outlook on reality to be awesomely inspiring. I do not know if is that his ideas are so exquisitely profound or that I deeply admire the man, maybe both, but they move me always.

Sincerely, Jonathan H

terra incognita
9th February 2006, 05:59 AM
Jonathan2525, I wonder what the world would be like now if Einstein had the socially unacceptable habit of projecting out of his body? Would he have been a spiritual genius too? Too bad that didn't happen. (shucks) :cry:

oath
9th February 2006, 06:40 AM
Jonathan2525, I wonder what the world would be like now if Einstein had the socially unacceptable habit of projecting out of his body? Would he have been a spiritual genius too? Too bad that didn't happen. (shucks) :cry:

Funny you mention, I was reading a physics book earlier and it was talking of some lesser known theories of einstein which seem remarkably familiar to some of the mechanics of the astral that Mr. Bruce has found through personal and genuine experience. One of which being a theory on time dilation, I cannot remember quite correctly, (perhaps a google search is in order? Or I can try and find the information in the book when I get home?) and something in relation to parallel worlds.

Jonathan2525
9th February 2006, 10:49 PM
Hello all and Oath,

Time is not absolute in Einstein’s general relativity; it is dependant on gravity/acceleration. The previous Newtonian physics time was absolute and it existed independent of all physical phenomenons. In RB’s theories of astral dynamics, time is not absolute either, it passes differently in different locations and time travel is possible. However, I have never read that RB refers to time as being dependant upon acceleration or gravity. You mentioned one of the lesser theories of Einstein, I am not thoroughly familiar with his scientific work, and most of it is beyond me. Just the same can you tell me the name of the theory etc so I can google it?

Sincerely, Jonathan H

Jonathan2525
9th February 2006, 11:03 PM
Hello all and Terra Incognita,

You wrote:
Jonathan2525, I wonder what the world would be like now if Einstein had the socially unacceptable habit of projecting out of his body? Would he have been a spiritual genius too? Too bad that didn't happen. (shucks)

I couldn’t disagree more. I think that if Einstein had began exploring the astral realms a lot of scientific work would have been left undone. He spent a lot of time perfecting his initial theories of relativity (general and special), if he had instead spent that time projecting a lot of good science would have been lost. To each his own, we have people like Monroe, Bruce and Leadbeater (among others), who are specially gifted and explore the astral and higher realms.

Who knows, maybe he did project spontaneously once but rejected it as a real because of “common sense”. "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age 18.” A. Einstein.

One more quote from Albert:

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
Albert Einstein, Quoted on pg. 289 of Adventures of a Mathematician, by S. M. Ulam(Charles Scribner's Sons, New York, 1976).

Sincerely, Jonathan H

DM*Cubic
3rd September 2007, 07:41 PM
There once was a wandering samurai who came across an enlightened master. He said to the master, "How can I become enlightened?" The master replied, "Travel far and wide. Ask all you come across who is the wisest man. When you find him, kill him."

The samurai traveled as the master said, on boats and bridges, camels and elephants, feet and hands and knees. He questioned all the multitudes of Earth, asking who was wisest. He conferred with kings and magicians, alchemists and psychics, scientists and poets. Still, he was never satisfied with their knowledge. Then he reached a village at the end of the Earth. He asked a child, "Who is the wisest man?" The child pointed to a meditating saint. But the Samurai mistook the boy's gesture, thinking he had been the one the finger pointed at.

"Ha!" The samurai laughed triumphantly, and he drew his sword. In hindsight, the enlightened master's words were clear. During his wanderings, the samurai had attained all the wisdom of the world. Now, standing before the boy, he fell upon the blade and received a mortal wound. But there was no enlightenment for his troubles; his body was broken, and now his mind was reeling into chaos. "What have I done?" gasped the samurai. The saint, without opening his eyes, said "You have killed the wisest man, and soon there will be no more wisdom." The samurai said, "I understand," and as the last drop of living blood left his body, he was enlightened.

blacktiger057
4th September 2007, 12:23 AM
See Sig...even JK Rowling knows one of the most basic yet important part of the powers of the mind.

CFTraveler
4th September 2007, 12:31 AM
You know when I read that in the book I immediately thought of posting it as my sig, and then forgot. Good catch, blacktiger.

ButterflyWoman
4th September 2007, 03:48 AM
“Well how else would God speak to me if not through my imagination?” - Joan of Arc

thoth
11th October 2007, 12:52 PM
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

-Einstein

boris
11th October 2007, 12:53 PM
"Good and evil are like two quarreling siamese twins, opposed yet mutually dependent"

Neo
6th March 2008, 10:18 PM
“The most intimate essence of religion is revealed by the most simple religious act: prayer...”

ejr23116
9th March 2008, 07:42 PM
Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightemnet...Lao-tzu

When a man begins to understand himself, he begins to live...Norvin McGranahan

Nothing can bring you peace but yourself...Ralph Waldo Emerson

Vision is the art of seing things invisible...Jonathan Swift

We all live under the same sky, but we all don't have the same horizon...Konrad Adenauer

All acts performed in the world begin in the imagination...Barbara Grizzauti Harrison

When we can't dream any longer, we die...Emma Goldman

All of these quotes were taken from the book "The Book of Positive Quotations" compiled by John Cook. I bought my copy on half.com.

Tom
12th March 2008, 05:22 PM
“Speaking metaphorically(!), the first thing we must do in our bid for freedom is kill our parents. We kill the Buddha (or equivalent) last on the way to truth-realization, but we kill our parents first on the way to anywhere. There are a whole lot more people who need killing before freedom is achieved, but that’s how it must begin. Until we kill our parents (metaphorically!) we remain unborn.” – Jed McKenna, Spiritual Warfare, page 227

Berserk
12th March 2008, 09:45 PM
In the early 20th century, G. K. Chesterton wrote an essay entitled "Twelve Men." At the time, lawmakers were considering replacing the jury of 12 ordinary people with a jury of professional lawyers. Chesterton sums up his opposition to this idea with a memorable paradox: "The more a man looks at a thing, the less he can see it, and the more a man learns a thing, the less he knows it." The same principle might be applied to ministers like myself when we presume mastery over mysterious disciplines like prayer, religious experience, and altered states of consciousness.

OK, let me add another memorable quote just because it's silly! I once heard a southern preacher proclaim:
"I like my religion the way I like my tea--hot, because I'd rather be a fool on fire than a scholar on ice; and it's easier to cool a hot coal than to warm up a corpse. Honestly, when I drive by these liberal churches, I take my hat off out of respect for the dead." :D

Don

Korpo
17th April 2008, 02:54 PM
This blessedness seems hidden because it cannot be touched, but it is not hidden in essence. It is overlooked because we are only looking at the mind structure, and we are missing what makes the structure possible. Our structures of belief, disbelief, emotions - all of our inner and outer structures come and go. Only the space that is awake remains. And there is a lot more space in you than there is structure.(Adyashanti, "Emptiness Dancing")

The last sentence made me smile. It is a very subtle, joyful message of hope. :)

Oliver

Excaliber
16th May 2008, 07:58 AM
"The thought manifests as the word. The word manifests as the deed. The deed develops into habit, and habit hardens into character. So watch the thought and its ways with care and let it spring from love, born out of concern for all beings." -Buddha

"Everything is based on mind, is led by mind, is fashioned by mind. If you speak and act with a polluted mind, suffering will follow you. If you speak and act with a pure mind, happiness will follow you, as a shadow clings to a form." -Buddha

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LTsb-woP3jI -the wisdom of the buddha

"If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking a beer, i bet it makes beer shoot out your nose" -deep thoughts by Jack Handey

veranadine
12th June 2008, 03:38 PM
"Embrace what makes you smile and do more of it." (http://veranadine.com/2008/05/28/something-to-brighten-your-day/) -Vera Nadine, 2008

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." -Albert Einstein

"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed" -Mahatma Gandhi

CFTraveler
23rd July 2008, 02:28 AM
"You cannot simultaneously glory in your own suffering, and seek to reduce suffering in the world. We are all interconnected; therefore to reduce my suffering, or your suffering, is to reduce the suffering of the whole. There is no virtue in anybody's suffering."
-Palehorse Redivivus
http://beyond-within.com/blog/law-of-at ... necessary/ (http://beyond-within.com/blog/law-of-attraction/is-suffering-necessary/)

Neil Templar
24th July 2008, 09:02 AM
I'm reading the book of Chuang Tzu right now.
i spotted this last night.

"The true man breathes from his feet up, while ordinary people just breathe from the throat"

Fish
24th July 2008, 12:03 PM
I like that!

martin booker
26th July 2008, 10:13 AM
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day"

my dad :P

Awesome! CF.

equinox
26th July 2008, 12:37 PM
You are more than you believe yourself to be.

The other one is also interesting but less flattering.
You are less than you believe yourself to be.

CFTraveler
18th August 2008, 05:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dhjjgvnkh8

boris
18th September 2008, 04:13 PM
We are children and we're scared, but it's going to be O.K

sono
28th November 2008, 05:27 AM
"It's a filthy word, love. . . . because love implies TWO. . " UG Krishnamurti

Korpo
11th December 2008, 07:38 AM
"It requires a modicum of humility to confess to yourself that your child does not belong to you, but only to itself." - http://www.spiegel.de/spiegelspecial/0,1518,590825-2,00.html

(from an article about schooling and what are apropriate forms of learning for one's child)

Oliver

CFTraveler
24th February 2009, 02:09 PM
"To only speak of crisis is to promote it, and to remain quiet is to exhalt conformism. Instead of either work hard. Let's end for once and for all the only menacing crisis, which is the tragedy of not working to solve it"
Albert Einstein, as emailed to me.

darron
30th April 2009, 10:03 PM
here is one since none has been posted in awhile,

"to be enlightend is to realize that you as a human being has always been and always will be god, because everyone is all connected and we are omnipresent, god (meaning us) wishes to live life from all perspectives and all situations of life, which is truly to be an enlightened being for you would understand and know everything, and the possibilities are endless thus existence itself being endless"

I made this one from various things that I have read :mrgreen:

ButterflyWoman
12th May 2009, 03:08 PM
"An attachment is a belief that without something, you are not going to be happy." - Fr Anthony de Mello, S.J.

ButterflyWoman
2nd July 2009, 03:09 PM
The Master was certainly not a stickler for etiquette, but there was always a natural courtesy and grace in his dealings with others.

A young disciple was once very rude to a traffic policeman as the disciple drove the Master home one night. In self-defense, the disciple said, “I’d rather be myself and let people know exactly how I feel. Politeness is nothing but a lot of hot air.”

“True enough,” said the Master pleasantly. “But that’s what we have in our automobile tires, and see how it eases the bumps.”

Anthony De Mello, SJ (Awakening - Conversations with the Masters)

boris
18th October 2009, 11:03 PM
'reading YouTube comments is bad for your wellbeing'

Neil Templar
19th October 2009, 01:09 PM
“We may well go to the moon, but that’s not very far. The greatest distance we have to cover still lies within us.” - Charles de Gaulle

ButterflyWoman
20th October 2009, 07:30 AM
"What can I do to attain Enlightenment?" asked the eager disciple.

"See Reality as it is," said the Master.

"Well, what can I do to see Reality as it is?"

The Master smiled and said, "I have good news and bad news for you, my friend."

"What’s the bad news?"

"There’s nothing you can do to see—it’s a gift."

"And what’s the good news?"

"There’s nothing you can do to see—it’s a gift."

-Anthony De Mello, SJ

boris
30th October 2009, 07:41 PM
Service is Sustenance for the Soul!

darron
16th November 2009, 05:44 PM
'reading YouTube comments is bad for your wellbeing'
lol thats true.

CFTraveler
23rd March 2010, 04:54 PM
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip? To get to the same side.
-Sheldon, on Big Bang Theory

Neil Templar
23rd March 2010, 05:14 PM
Knowledge becomes a weight upon wisdom. Shekhar Kapur (Director)

Tutor
23rd March 2010, 07:20 PM
and wisdom the breath upon which weighted wing would fly - anonymous

astralflyman
24th March 2010, 12:31 AM
My favorite quote:

"With infinite patience, comes immediate effect."

CFTraveler
14th September 2010, 06:36 PM
"By its very nature, secrecy cannot protect a republic, but only diminish it. "
Whitley Strieber.

TheLawOfOne
16th September 2010, 09:30 PM
Great post. We could make a calendar with all these. Here are some more:

"I've often felt that dreams are answers to questions we haven't yet figured out how to ask."
"You know, they say when you talk to God it's prayer, but when God talks to you, it's schizophrenia."
"Time passes in moments. Moments which, rushing past, define the path of a life, just as surely as they lead towards its end. How rarely do we stop to examine that path, to see the reasons why all things happen? To consider whether the path we take in life is our own making, or simply one into wihch we drift with eyes closed? But what if we could stop, pause to take stock of each precious moment before it passes? Might we then see the endless forks in the road that have shaped a life? And, seeing those choices, choose another path?"
"The Truth is Out There."
X Files

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."
The United States Declaration of Independence

"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not die, so do other creatures."
Dalai Lama

"He who understands nature walks close with God."
"Learn to live! Then there is no death, save the transition, when desired. Many live who have never died as yet."
"Weakness is only strength misapplied."
"All you may know of heaven or hell is within your own self."
Edgar Cayce

"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened."
Jesus of Nazareth, Bible

CFTraveler
29th January 2011, 01:35 AM
"The soul is not contained in the body, the body is contained in the soul. In fact, the body is an incident in the life of the soul, on which it is, for a few years, concentrating its attention."
Whitley Strieber

http://www.unknowncountry.com/journal

CFTraveler
5th April 2011, 02:39 PM
"I’m skeptical about any absolute set of rules, scientific rules, moral rules, behavioral rules. I’m very skeptical that one size fits all."
-Alan Hobson.

alphadracooverlord
17th April 2011, 07:59 PM
I like Alexander the great (Megas alexandros).

A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient.

Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/autho ... z1JoQwiAVQ (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/a/alexander_the_great.html#ixzz1JoQwiAVQ)

Heaven cannot brook two suns, nor earth two masters.

Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/autho ... z1JoQzYocc (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/a/alexander_the_great.html#ixzz1JoQzYocc)

I am dying from the treatment of too many physicians.

Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/autho ... z1JoR43lXH (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/a/alexander_the_great.html#ixzz1JoR43lXH)

I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion.

Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/autho ... z1JoR66CBT (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/a/alexander_the_great.html#ixzz1JoR66CBT)

There is nothing impossible to him who will try.

Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/autho ... z1JoRBVYoH (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/a/alexander_the_great.html#ixzz1JoRBVYoH)

CFTraveler
17th April 2011, 10:39 PM
IDK; I think I'm more afraid of the army of lions led by the sheep, but maybe that's just me. :D

Tutor
20th April 2011, 06:35 PM
“Think like a man of action, and act like a man of thought.”
- Henri L. Bergson

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. And because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.”
– Hellen Keller

“Half of the troubles of this life can be traced to saying yes too quickly and not saying no soon enough.”
- Josh Billings

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there”
- Will Rogers

“Man often becomes what he believes himself to be. If I keep on saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing, it is possible that I may end by really becoming incapable of doing it. On the contrary, if I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

“You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
- Christopher Columbus

“To a brave man, good and bad luck are like his left and right hand. He uses both.”
- St Catherine of Siena

“When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we took so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened up for us”
- Helen Keller

“We don’t see the things the way they are. We see things the way WE are.”
- Talmund

“Every problem has in it the seeds of its own solution. If you don’t have any problems, you don’t get any seeds.”
- Norman Vincent Peale

“If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.”
- Dr Wayne Dyer

“The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem.”
- Theodore Rubin

“Pessimist : A person who says that O is the last letter of ZERO, instead of the first letter in word OPPORTUNITY.”
- Anonymous

“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”
- Thomas A Edison

“Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting”
- Elizabeth Bibesco

“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. And today? Today is a gift. That’s why we call it the present.”
- B. Olatunji

“When you get to the end of the rope, tie a knot and hang on.”
- Franklin D Roosevelt

“Your attitude, not your aptitude, determines your altitude.”
- Zig Ziglar

“If you’re going through hell, keep going.”
- Winston Churchill

“The secret to success is to start from scratch and keep on scratching.”
- Dennis Green

“Champions aren’t made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill.”
- Muhammad Ali

“Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.”
- Dale Carnegie

“So many of our dreams at first seems impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.”
- Christopher Reeve

“Hard work spotlights the character of people. Some turn up their sleeves. Some turn up their noses, and some don’t turn up at all.”
- Sam Ewing

“There are those who work all day. Those who dream all day. And those who spend an hour dreaming before setting to work to fulfill those dreams. Go into the third category because there’s virtually no competition.”
- Steven J Ross

“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”
- Confucious

“Many of life’s failures are people who had not realized how close they were to success when they gave up.”
- Thomas A Edison

“The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.”
- Stephen Covey

“Efficiency is doing things right. Effectiveness is doing the right things.”
- Peter Drucker

“Do you know what happens when you give a procrastinator a good idea? Nothing!”
- Donald Gardner

“Success is what you attract by the person you become.”
- Jim Rohn

“You have to ‘Be’ before you can ‘Do’ and ‘Do’ before you can ‘Have’.
- Zig Ziglar

“You can have everything in life that you want if you will just help enough other people to get what they want.”
- Zig Ziglar

“The test we must set for ourselves is not to march alone but to march in such a way that others wish to join us.”
- Hubert Humphrey

“Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus when the limo breaks down.”
- Oprah Winfrey

“Formal education will make you a living. Self education will make you a fortune.”
- Jim Rohn

“It isn’t what the book costs. It’s what it will cost you if you don’t read it.”
- Jim Rohn

“You must be the change you want to see in the world.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

“The future has several names. For the weak, it is the impossible. For the fainthearted, it is the unknown. For the thoughtful and valiant, it is the ideal.”
- Victor Hugo

“There is nothing more genuine than breaking away from the chorus to learn the sound of your own voice.”
- Po Bronson

“Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”
- Waldo Emerson

“Use what talents you possess, the woods will be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.”
- Henry van Dyke

“Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.”
- Bertrand Russell

“History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it.”
- Winston Churchill

“Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life’s about creating yourself.”
- George Bernard Shaw

“Live your life each day as you would climb a mountain. An occasional glance towards the summit keeps the goal in mind, but many beautiful scenes are to be observed from each new vintage point.”
- Harold B Melchart

“The tragedy of life doesn’t lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goals to reach.”
- Benjamin Mays

“More often in life, we end up regretting the chances in life that we had, but didn’t take them, than those chances that we took and wished we hadn’t.”
- Anonymous

“An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded.”
- Pope John Paul I

“Don’t wish it were easier, wish you were better. Don’t wish for fewer problems, wish for more skills. Don’t wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom.”
- Earl Shoaf

alphadracooverlord
20th April 2011, 09:21 PM
Great Tutor.

I found a video today while looking for egyptian stuff on Youtube.

It's from an egyptian official from a very early dynasty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4oBUbPu51c

They are so simple yet so magnificent. The video has a very nice feeling.

alphadracooverlord
23rd April 2011, 09:05 PM
A man may have a hundred children and live many years; yet no matter how long he lives, if he cannot enjoy his prosperity and does not receive proper burial, I say that a stillborn child is better off than he. It comes without meaning, it departs in darkness, and in darkness its name is shrouded. Though it never saw the sun or knew anything, it has more rest than does that man; even if he lives a thousand years twice over but fails to enjoy his prosperity. Do not all go to the same place?

-Ecclesiastes 6.3-6

psionickx
22nd July 2011, 02:19 AM
" I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best "
~ Marilyn Monroe

darron
15th August 2011, 05:39 AM
"the secret to immortality, is to first live a life worth remembering"
- Bruce lee.
"when still be like a mirror, when moving be like water, respond like an echo."
- Bruce lee.

ButterflyWoman
11th June 2012, 09:30 AM
Fear not on seeing this empty world, which appears as a dream in the sleep of Self-forgetfulness. This imaginary and bondage-causing world-picture, of the dark, dense mind, will not stand in the light of Supreme Knowledge, Sat-Chit-Ananda. ~ Guru Vachaka Kovai, 27

Barry
11th June 2012, 09:54 PM
It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.

Moogie
13th June 2012, 03:23 AM
Speak only if you can improve upon the silence.

CFTraveler
13th June 2012, 06:46 PM
Speak only if you can improve upon the silence. :love:

Sinera
13th June 2012, 08:11 PM
"Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without."
- Buddha

CFTraveler
25th June 2012, 08:45 PM
"Death is not the opposite of life; death is the opposite of birth".
-Rev. Katherine Geddes.

darron
5th July 2012, 10:06 PM
"stillness is the only thing in this world that has no form. But then it is not really a thing, and it is not of this world."
-Eckhart Tolle

SoulSail
6th July 2012, 04:17 AM
"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?" ~ Unknown

SoulSail
6th July 2012, 04:20 AM
"Light, when it splits the dark, is entirely unconcerned about the nature of dark. It pays no regard to how dense it is, or how long it has been in place. Light never pauses." ~ Adapted from Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche

Pneumismatic
8th July 2012, 02:15 AM
Trinity (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005251/): I know why you're here, Neo. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer. You're looking for him. I know because I was once looking for the same thing. And when he found me, he told me I wasn't really looking for him. I was looking for an answer. It's the question that drives us, Neo. It's the question that brought you here. You know the question, just as I did.
Neo (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000206/): What is the Matrix?
Trinity (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005251/): The answer is out there, Neo, and it's looking for you, and it will find you if you want it to.

The Matrix (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133093/) (1999) (http://www.imdb.com/year/1999/)

Pneumismatic
8th July 2012, 02:16 AM
"Transmutemini in vivos lapides philosophicos!" (Transform yourselves into living philosophical stones!) - Gerhard Dorn

Pneumismatic
8th July 2012, 02:19 AM
"Know Thyself" - Plato

Pneumismatic
8th July 2012, 02:22 AM
"Since it is a subjective state whose reality cannot be validated by any external criterion, any further attempt to describe and explain it is doomed to failure, for only those who have had this experience are in a position to understand and attest its reality. "Happiness," for example, is such a noteworthy reality that there is nobody who does not long for it, and yet there is not a single objective criterion which would prove beyond all doubt that this condition necessarily exists. As so often with the most important things, we have to make do with a subjective judgment." - Carl Jung

ButterflyWoman
6th October 2012, 05:00 PM

I see and experience this more and more. And the more I see and experience it, the less I have to say. I trust that what I do say will reach whomever it's meant to reach (assuming I'm saying anything useful at all, that is).

SoulSail
6th October 2012, 05:34 PM

I see and experience this more and more. And the more I see and experience it, the less I have to say. I trust that what I do say will reach whomever it's meant to reach (assuming I'm saying anything useful at all, that is).

I'll be printing that one for my awareness journal.

Funny, I almost dug this thread up a few days ago. I'll add a few more:

"We cannot fully delay embracing the moment. To do so maintains the divisions within the mind, the division between the mind and the body, and the division between the organism and its environment. All divisions are attempts to keep us from the truth of what is right here. When this is understood by the sincere practitioner, there can be no more hesitation, no more postponement, and no more pulling back and waiting for a more opportune time. It is literally now or never"

"The most important understanding for a lay Buddhist is the immediate availability of awakening. Awakening need not arrive after a long, protracted practice history unless we believe that this is necessary. We deliberately delay our readiness because we are divided about what we really want."

~ Rodney Smith

"For one who clings, motion exists;
But for one who clings not, there is no motion.
Where no motion is, there is stillness.
Where stillness is, there is no craving.
Where no craving is,
There is neither coming or going.
Where neither coming or going is,
There is neither arising or passing away.
Where neither arising nor passing away is,
There is neither this world, nor a world beyond,
Nor a state between.
This, verily, is the end of suffering."

~ The Buddha

Soul

Saul
7th October 2012, 04:49 PM
"The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao,
The name that can be named is not the eternal Name,
The Nameless is the source of Heaven and Earth;
The named is the Mother of the Ten Thousand Things.
Desireless, one may behold the mystery;
Desiring, one may see the manifestations.
Though one in origin,
They emerge with distinct names.
Both are mysteries -
Depth within depth -
The threshold of all secrets"

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

dreaming90
7th October 2012, 09:15 PM
The universe is sacred.
You cannot improve it.
If you try to change it, you will ruin it.
If you try to hold it, you will lose it.

-- Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

SoulSail
8th October 2012, 12:11 PM
"
Desireless, one may behold the mystery;
Desiring, one may see the manifestations."

Yes.

Sinera
11th October 2012, 07:24 PM
"When I allow it to be
It has no control over me
I own my fear
So it doesn't own me"
- Peter Gabriel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfGoxeWye6Y)

Sinera
28th October 2012, 07:09 PM
"Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles. Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery."
- Lahiri Mahasaya

atsguy
28th October 2012, 08:42 PM
A few years ago i had a very powerful "peak experience" moment during a donkey ride in new orleans. I remember passing by a window and seeing a dinner banquet happening inside, most likely a wedding. Everyone was dressed very well and raising their glasses to announce the wonderful evening. Outside under the window, right on the sidewalk were 2 people in rags, most likely some hipsters or just some drunk guys by the looks of them sitting down on the ground. It was a very interesting sight and had profound meaning to it.

I remember just thinking this quote in my head at the time...."There is beauty between the chaos of our thoughts"

I thought it was a very powerful quote and was amazed that i could come up with something like that...must have been from my higher self?

SoulSail
24th February 2014, 12:54 AM
"Listen. Among human beings, it is said that any individual human being can attain enlightenment. Now, within the context in which it is said, this is undoubtedly true. However, it tells you absolutely nothing about enlightenment--because 'enlightenment' means precisely: the impossibility of the existence of any individual human being." ~ David Carse

There's just something fun about surfacing good ol' threads.

Soul