PDA

View Full Version : Bartimaeus

Freawaru
13th January 2006, 09:43 AM
Hi All,

anyone been reading the Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud? It is a fantasy story about demons and their summoners (in a slightly altered world a bit different from ours). Much of the books is written from the perspective of the demon Bartimaeus, a five thousand years old djinni, who sees the world and humankind in his own way. It is a childrens book, not a horror book, though, so don't expect any Stephen King-like scenes.

I have been reding the book as fantasy, imagination, but much of what I read on this forum (especially the "defense" board) coincides with how Stroud describes the demons in his story. So what I want to know is what do you consider real and what Stroud's imagination? I know that science fiction and fantasy authors often have a good intuition regarding spiritual things, but usually there are also alterations.

For those of you who have not read it but enjoy fantasy books like "The Lord of the RIngs" or "Harry Potter" I strongly suggest reading it. It is highly amusing :-)