PDA

View Full Version : Quieting the mind

GRANT
19th May 2009, 04:19 PM
Hi Gang,

Lately I've been having trouble quieting my mind while I'm trying to AP. Needles to say, meditating is almost impossible with all types of things racing through my mind. Also, while trying to relax, I'll get an itch here and there, or find that I can't get into a comfortable position. As another point, I really feel as though something is purposely trying to mess up my AP attempts; especally since it happens just as I'm getting to the point of trance.

Don't know what's going on--never seemed to have a problem like this before.

Does anyone "see" what's happening?

My lucid experiances do not seem to be affected, nor do the hypnogogics.

Thanks
Grant

CFTraveler
19th May 2009, 07:32 PM
How long has this been happening, since when? And how long have you been projecting, before this started.
Also how have your lucid dreams been, any difference?

GRANT
20th May 2009, 03:01 PM
Hi Gang,

I've been projecting for a couple of years; the type of projections are the actual "popping" out of my body with the vibrations. I can also phase out into an AP. The problem seems to have started about 6 months ago and I'm starting to wonder if I'm reading too many different articles about AP'ing, thus clogging my mind with a lot of "how to's".

Its funny this is happening to me because I gave advise to others having "getting out" problems.

My lucid projections have changed somewhat. I'm beginning to meet and talk to people; but not about anything in particular.
I guess I'm starting to realize that I can talk to other projectors or beings while lucid.

I'm trying to find a "guide" to help me get out and quiet my mind.

Grant

CFTraveler
20th May 2009, 03:04 PM
I think you need to realize (maybe you already do) that you are changing in the same way you were changing before- you were moving towards a way of doing things and now you may be moving towards another way of doing things. I suggest you look at what you're doing now (that is, lucid dreaming) and ask your HS for a nudge on what you need to do.
It's possible evolution (of the spiritual kind) is leading you to the next thing, whatever that may be.

GRANT
21st May 2009, 02:54 PM
Greetings,

Thanks for the reply.
I think I'll try contacting or asking for a guide as I meditate and see what happens.
I seemed to have developed a mind that wants to wander.

Grant

Tom
21st May 2009, 03:53 PM
Agree to disagree. Give your mind 10 minutes to do all the wandering it can and just watch. Then ask if the mind is done; if yes, go on to do what you were going to do. If not, another 5 minutes or so. You can negotiate on these things.

CFTraveler
21st May 2009, 05:18 PM
I agree with Tom. I have the monkeyest mind ever (evar) :D and what I do is assign it time to wander, and then when I feel I'm getting to a certain point I stop it and go on to contemplation. It works for me.

GRANT
23rd May 2009, 03:00 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I'll try giving my mind to time to wander. However, it seems that it may take up a lot of the time used to try and AP.
So, I guess, I'll put a limit on the wandering time.

Is the time you let the mind wander part of the hypnogogic state?

Grant

CFTraveler
24th May 2009, 12:09 AM
No, far before.
I usually do all my relaxation, trance, e-body loosening, and then go to just 'noticing', and if my mind wants to wander I let it, and if I think I'm on the verge of 'losing it', I'll go into empty mind meditation and earhiss-listening, making sure not to let my mind wander. If I'm letting my mind wander and I start getting hypnagogics, I immediately take control of my mind and get into 'receptive' mode.

GRANT
24th May 2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks again for everyones' input.
I think I'll try again extra hard on not letting my mind wander.
Grant

Tom
24th May 2009, 07:01 PM
Mind wandering is a habit. You can change it, but you have to work on it during regular activity as well as when you are actively practicing. It is important to alternate between allowing (and watching) the mind wander and holding it in place. The watching process, where you actually encourage the mind to wander as much as possible, causes you to become dis-identified with the wandering and it allows the momentum behind it to slow. Physical tension and mental tension feed energy into the wandering. Struggling against the wandering adds energy and feeds it. If you put attention into your physical senses it drains energy away from the internal dialogue and causes it to both slow down and stop being so wordy.

Palehorse Redivivus
24th May 2009, 11:52 PM
I had a dream last night where a friend responded to something I said with "I don't think just for fun anymore." I lost most of the other details of the dream, but woke up with the point of it already interpreted for me (an odd phenomenon which seems to be happening to me a lot lately).

The gist of it that I got, was that the conscious mind is a tool of the subconscious and higher self. If you think of it like a computer, then a rambling inner monologue is something like a computer that's full of crapware and keeps throwing up an endless barrage of pop ups every time you try and do anything online.

So... I'm trying to stop "thinking for fun" and only think whatever is worth thinking. And what thoughts are worth thinking? Well... that's for them two to decide, I suppose. ;)

GRANT
26th May 2009, 07:49 PM
Hi Gang,
Last nights sessions were terrible with the mind wandering thing.
All night long, mind wandering. The momentum thing sound logical, I'm trying too hard to break the cycle.
I'll try watching more than fighting it.
Thanks.
Grant

russmi3
7th June 2009, 04:41 AM
I have posted before, I have this same problem. It is like the more I try to focus on something (my third eye, ear hiss, etc. the more my mind goes nuts with totally irrelavent babble. Even as I am focusing on say my breathing it will be like, in........out.........in babble........out babblebabble, etc. The babble is there mixed into and overlapped on the focus thought. It is very annoying and frustrating, I do not have the answer, but understand you completely.

Even my babble is babbled.......lol the thoughts are flying so fast it is rediculous. Like, need haircut,would like to build deck,don't have money to do it, think about it tomorrow, how big should I make it, 16x24?, yeah probably, computer messed up at work, probably spyware, mow yard tomorrow, need gas, need new bark in beds, will run spyware, blah,blah.........time elapsed about 5 seconds.

GRANT
8th June 2009, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the reply.
This has been going on for too long now, the rambling thing I mean with my mind.
Its getting frustrating--its almost as if something knows I'm trying to meditate so I can AP, and is trying to prvent me from doing so.

A funny thing is occurring however. I'm starting to see plants. I don't think it hypnogogics though.
I see the plans and their flowers as "entry points'. Maybe I supposed to follow them inside to their inner parts. Hard to explain, but I see them as if I was in an AP.

I've read somewhere that our original bodies were plant like.
Grant

CFTraveler
8th June 2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the reply.
This has been going on for too long now, the rambling thing I mean with my mind.
Its getting frustrating--its almost as if something knows I'm trying to meditate so I can AP, and is trying to prvent me from doing so.

A funny thing is occurring however. I'm starting to see plants. I don't think it hypnogogics though.
I see the plans and their flowers as "entry points'. Maybe I supposed to follow them inside to their inner parts. Hard to explain, but I see them as if I was in an AP.

I've read somewhere that our original bodies were plant like.
Grant They're more than likely remote viewing.

GRANT
9th June 2009, 03:29 PM
Hi There,

I know the "plant" thing was a little out of the wandering conversation.
I mentioned it because I was asked if I noticed a change.

The plant visions are as if being viewed in an AP, but I;m not APing. However, I can "see" all around the flora as if I can fly inbetween the stems and flowers. Its almost as if I've shrunk and can get inbetween them. However, maybe I'm normal size and the plant things are larger--I don't know.

But, if our original bodies were plant like, maybe I'm seeing them.

GRANT

CFTraveler
9th June 2009, 08:03 PM
I've done that in my room. Once I was tiny and went into a wicker lamp fan I had, and didn't realize that's where I was until I looked around. There are various reports of people getting small and (for example) getting lost in the jungle of their shag rug (it's in an old post somewhere.)
Anyway, plants are everywhere, even in our bodies while we don't even realize it. I just wonder where you got the idea that our 'original' bodies were plantlike? Do you mean in evolution, in the universe (other incarnations), or as (for example) plankton? I'm afraid I don't understand your interpretation.

Beekeeper
10th June 2009, 11:57 AM
Grant, I've been following this thread and refraining but I can't help myself now. Have you tried focussed meditation on the flame of a candle or on a flower? I know it's a basic technique but it can work really well when other tried and tested methods fail. Mantras can also work well to quieten the mind, as I'm sure you know. So can breathing techniques. I attained a beautiful deep trance yesterday just using an alternative nostril breathing technique, only, no hands, just concentrated focus and visualisation. Even counting became annoying and I just breathed to the rhythm with a very empty mind. Very nice.

Carefully choosing the time you meditate is another important consideration.

I'm sure you know all this but reminders can be helpful sometimes.

GRANT
10th June 2009, 03:52 PM
HI Gang,
I think my problem is just a temporary phase. I do just relax and breathe and that seems to be the best medicine.

As for the plant-body thing, I've been reading the Lemurian Scrolls. The author states that we've, our ancestors, came to this plant about 4,000,000 years ago. The original bodies were fiberous like plants, but were not plants.

Sometimes when OBEing I can see a backboneish structure that flows endlessly. I wonder if thats our evolutionary trail.
I wonder if the plant like things I see is our original forms.

Grant

Blaze
12th June 2009, 05:55 AM
I have another exercise you can try that I read about being taught at the monroe institute.

Basically, when you're using the previously suggested method of letting your mind wander for awhile initially, put all your thoughts/concerns/etc in a box. When you're done mind wandering, close the box with the intention of opening it back up later when your meditation is over.

You can make this as abstract or literal as you wish. On the very literal side, you can write down all the things you feel are important to remember. It can take away from the early part of the meditation since you have to be very lucid to write things down, but it can contribute greatly to your peace of mind later in the meditation.

GRANT
21st June 2009, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the responses.
I've just read the book Meditation For Beginners by Jack Kornfield that helped alot.
Grant

merita
5th July 2009, 03:24 PM
Hi Gang,

Lately I've been having trouble quieting my mind while I'm trying to AP. Needles to say, meditating is almost impossible with all types of things racing through my mind. Also, while trying to relax, I'll get an itch here and there, or find that I can't get into a comfortable position. As another point, I really feel as though something is purposely trying to mess up my AP attempts; especally since it happens just as I'm getting to the point of trance.

Don't know what's going on--never seemed to have a problem like this before.

Does anyone "see" what's happening?

My lucid experiances do not seem to be affected, nor do the hypnogogics.

Thanks
Grant

I used to experience this when I very first started meditation, I'd get a terrible pain in my solar plexus usually or sometimes a pain in either of my shins that would make it impossible to continue. As soon as I stopped the meditation the feelings would stop. I never get such symptoms now, it's just something you have to go through, like a barrier that your conscious mind puts up out of fear.

GRANT
4th September 2009, 03:34 PM
Hi Gang,
Its been a little while since my last post.
I sure hope this is some sort of phase I'm going through. It seems as though all activity has come to a halt.
I still have real time and astral sight however, but no actual projections in a long time.
I don't know--------------
Finding it hard to really relax, which may be the problem.
GRANT

Beekeeper
7th September 2009, 10:47 AM
What type of exercise are you doing?

GRANT
7th September 2009, 07:00 PM
Hi,
I do the energy bouncing and raising energy excersizes for the chakras.
Even the breathing excersizes are getting harder to concentrate on.
Grant